EDFL Premier Division 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Potter seniors & Mango captain/coach of the ressies both got the jobs because there fantastic communicators in the same way big Mel was
Oh really! WOW. Not another school teacher who talks the talk but can't walk the walk. Maybe they should speak to Taylors Lakes FC first and find out why he has never been really welcomed back into their environment!

Any news on the vacant coaching position at Abers ? Who is the front runner ?
I'm hearing 4 people are being interviewed for the gig. One of those being Brendan Hallinan who was assistant coach this year. Should have a new coach by the end of the week

I'm hearing 4 people are being interviewed for the gig. One of those being Brendan Hallinan who was assistant coach this year. Should have a new coach by the end of the week
So they are interviewing a bloke whose side only have kicked 1 goal after half time in 2 grand finals and also plays the smallest bloke on the ground to sit in the hole in a preliminary final against a full forward who is 6"4 he sounds like a very good coach to me

So they are interviewing a bloke whose side only have kicked 1 goal after half time in 2 grand finals and also plays the smallest bloke on the ground to sit in the hole in a preliminary final against a full forward who is 6"4 he sounds like a very good coach to me
lets just hope the committee makes the right decision. Big expectations for the next coach. No doubt they'll be taking on a good team, but the real challenge will be to keep the current group together as Mal would've been a draw card for many of them

lets just hope the committee makes the right decision. Big expectations for the next coach. No doubt they'll be taking on a good team, but the real challenge will be to keep the current group together as Mal would've been a draw card for many of them
Really! What was it that Mal had that actually drew them to the club? The task of keeping the group together would have been made possible by Mal's exit. Would the incoming coach want to keep the 2014 group together?

Really! What was it that Mal had that actually drew them to the club? The task of keeping the group together would have been made possible by Mal's exit. Would the incoming coach want to keep the 2014 group together?
Very true Mal would of been a very big part of recruiting and not the $$$$$

Sorry keenwatcher, but you can't be serious.

The AFL is one of the biggest & best supported football competitions (of any type) on the planet. It's the pinnacle - the Olympic Games of Aussie Rules. TV stations fight to spend a billion dollars to broadcast it.

You simply can't compare a suburban comp (of which there are many scattered across the country) to the number one competition in our sport.

Using the same analogy - the EDFL to the the AFL is like the local interclub schools athletics day is to the Olympic Games.

Most of the people in an AFL club are getting paid handsomely. It's a professional business with the clubs generating millions in broadcast rights, memberships, sponsorships and a range of income producing businesses. Very little AFL club money is raised from volunteer activities. In contrast, the vast majority of people in a local footy club are doing it for the love of the club. Primarily the suburban clubs are run on shoestring budgets where the bulk of its funds are raised voluntarily. The really big money in some of these clubs is relied upon from a single philanthropist - which often has a limited life span.

My main point is that I feel for the loyal local club person who might be cleaning the rooms, marking the ground, setting up the goal posts, working the scoreboard, working in the canteen or beind the bar, attending committee meetings, acting as a delegate to the controlling body, etc. He/she works his butt off for the local club only to see some over rated paddock footballer with no 'genuine' allegiance to the club 'skim' $1000 a week from the club.

While it's hard for me to comprehend why local clubs risk their survival to raise massive amounts of money to pay blokes who couldn't care less what jumper he wears, I do have great respect for those loyal club people who are prepared to keep the club going, regardless.

Agree wholeheartedly - behind the scenes a lot of hard work done by a few local unheralded people - happens at every suburban club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ThaE="Sta on x on the mill, post: 35544577, member: 65650"]What about Paul Harrison? Not sure if John Larkins chose him. But Harro was an excellent coach, both at Abers and elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
L

Larkins didn't choose harro the best coach abers has had plus there were plenty of applications for the job but they interviewed 4 people and as mentioned above they were two of them and l would hate to see who the other two were if these two are the front runners to get the job

If his knowledge of the game is so superior to others around him! Why as a club do they continue to get the structure of the club so wrong?

I don't claim to have inside knowledge but with continued success across juniors, reserves and u18s & just falling short in the seniors, they aren't getting things all that wrong..

I don't claim to have inside knowledge but with continued success across juniors, reserves and u18s & just falling short in the seniors, they aren't getting things all that wrong..
I don't claim to have inside knowledge either but as an impartial observer of the EDFL, I would say they are the one club of the top echelon of clubs that have failed to deliver a senior premiership for the club in the past 10 years! In Aberfeldie's case 20 years. They have clearly been in the top two clubs of outgoing funds for player payments for some years now yet still no success of the ultimate kind to speak of, yes their U/18's and many junior teams have enjoyed success yet they continue to fail to develop or provide a platform for their many talented juniors to play at senior level. Through lack of opportunity player retention of home grown players clearly becomes an issue, so in my eyes there lays a massive issue in the structure of the CLUB that continues to be an issue, hence one of the reasons there continues to be a lack of sustained success of the ultimate kind.

Shadow Master l could not of said it better myself, Bluejet if they had a decent coach they might of won one or if not both & also a group of players who play for each other & not there back pockets , take Greenvale list & the mores except for McPhee they both had very good local footballers and VFL players
Also look at a bloke like GA and money he has spent at least he gets results Abers would of spent the same if not more

Grand Finals are for the players and coach to win.. Larkins and other backers have given it a red hot crack these past few years in terms of putting a good side on the park and unfortunately have fallen short. There's only so much that the money men can do.

Grand Finals are for the players and coach to win.. Larkins and other backers have given it a red hot crack these past few years in terms of putting a good side on the park and unfortunately have fallen short. There's only so much that the money men can do.
Mate, I think you are missing the whole point of the structure of the CLUB. You are right, there is only so much that the money men can do, but if the money men and the decision makers get it wrong in structuring the coaching panel and it's list of players it makes it mighty hard for any club to achieve the ultimate success. A clear philosophy of getting the right mix of players with the now and the future in mind has to be implemented when striving for sustained success with many other factors including the right mix of mature age players and youth, local home grown players and imports. Clubs that get the mix right have the ability to uphold their club culture built up over many years, get buy in from their playing list and play with pride, passion and commitment. Now that's when sustained success becomes achievable.

Mate, I think you are missing the whole point of the structure of the CLUB. You are right, there is only so much that the money men can do, but if the money men and the decision makers get it wrong in structuring the coaching panel and it's list of players it makes it mighty hard for any club to achieve the ultimate success. A clear philosophy of getting the right mix of players with the now and the future in mind has to be implemented when striving for sustained success with many other factors including the right mix of mature age players and youth, local home grown players and imports. Clubs that get the mix right have the ability to uphold their club culture built up over many years, get buy in from their playing list and play with pride, passion and commitment. Now that's when sustained success becomes achievable.

Really? I'm not the one bringing down that club (regarded as being one of the more professionally run around) as a whole due to the senior sides struggle to get over the line on Grand Final day. I think it's fair to say that Greenvale, Marby and Strathmore have all battled to get the right mix of players in recent years and ultimately tasted the ultimate success once they achieved that, there's nothing to say that with inevitable turnover of players over this "silly season" that Abers can't do the same.
Anyway, I'm done defending Abers, I'm starting to feel dirty. ;)

Really? I'm not the one bringing down that club (regarded as being one of the more professionally run around) as a whole due to the senior sides struggle to get over the line on Grand Final day. I think it's fair to say that Greenvale, Marby and Strathmore have all battled to get the right mix of players in recent years and ultimately tasted the ultimate success once they achieved that, there's nothing to say that with inevitable turnover of players over this "silly season" that Abers can't do the same.
Anyway, I'm done defending Abers, I'm starting to feel dirty. ;)
I'm not attempting to bring any club down mate, just making some comments on what I've seen with my very own eyes, I think you need to read previous posts in full before replying. The topic being CLUB structure and sustained success, now that you have mentioned those clubs both Greenvale and Strathmore have managed to get the mix right of mature age players and youth along with home grown players and imports, hence their level of sustained success in recent past years and also has them in their current position to strive for sustained success in the coming years ahead, unfortunately Marby Park didn't get the mix right when enjoying an extended period of success hence the reason they have been fighting relegation in recent years. I only hope Aberfeldie doesn't find themselves in a similar position once the money men have had enough of supplying money to a club that has got it wrong in recent years.

I'm not attempting to bring any club down mate, just making some comments on what I've seen with my very own eyes, I think you need to read previous posts in full before replying. The topic being CLUB structure and sustained success, now that you have mentioned those clubs both Greenvale and Strathmore have managed to get the mix right of mature age players and youth along with home grown players and imports, hence their level of sustained success in recent past years and also has them in their current position to strive for sustained success in the coming years ahead, unfortunately Marby Park didn't get the mix right when enjoying an extended period of success hence the reason they have been fighting relegation in recent years. I only hope Aberfeldie doesn't find themselves in a similar position once the money men have had enough of supplying money to a club that has got it wrong in recent years.
Please. Name one club that if the money ran out, they would still play finals by relying on home grown talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back