EDFL Premier Division 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

$250K and 48 points from the local paper. Highest amount in metro footy $s
That's ridiculous if true , for it to have any chance to work as planned all the major leagues should be on the same points & salary cap. The edfl has collectively the worst lot of grounds in Melbourne but they would rather clubs pay out an extra $25,000 a year on players than some of the biggest clubs around town. What the hell for? That's a lot of raffle tickets to be sold by some poor old volunteer

That's ridiculous if true , for it to have any chance to work as planned all the major leagues should be on the same points & salary cap. The edfl has collectively the worst lot of grounds in Melbourne but they would rather clubs pay out an extra $25,000 a year on players than some of the biggest clubs around town. What the hell for? That's a lot of raffle tickets to be sold by some poor old volunteer

Oh please! The EDFL canvassed the clubs and the clubs wanted $275k. There would have been serious backlash from at least 7 clubs if the cap was anything less than $250k

One of the more powerful clubs is on the record as saying they still dont believe in a cap and should be able to spend whatever they want! So don't go blaming the League Admin

Turbo can i just make sure i'm understanding this right for everyone's piece of mind.
It's ok for Pacco to lose players who are on big money but if it happens at any other club they have stuffed up and treated any such player unfairly.

Hey Route, it does happen at every club but most times the player wants to move on, but in these instances the club has moved player/s on (still under contract) basically so they can fit in another player. Also do you understand how the player first got to the club! Maybe look into this and ask a few questions before you respond to this case mate. I can tell you other players are looking around due to what occurred here.

I'm the first to criticise a player for breaking a contract but what do we think of clubs breaking contracts and arrangements? It's a credit to the players reputation that he moved on to another club without issue. Hope he comes back to the EDFL in a few years and really sticks it up them.

One other point I wish to raise is this player is now a 6 pointer due to having moved clubs after 1 year which I think is totally unfair as it's not his doing... He will be 1 point as going back home, but if he was to go to another EDFL club he would have been very disadvantaged..

Cap at local level is ridiculous. I wonder how long it will be until the players join together to take on a class action to challenge it as it dilutes there ability to earn. Points cap is even more ridiculous and will have the opposite effect of its intention.

Cap at local level is ridiculous. I wonder how long it will be until the players join together to take on a class action to challenge it as it dilutes there ability to earn. Points cap is even more ridiculous and will have the opposite effect of its intention.
will never happen, cash in hand, tax free for players, they wont bring anything into the open, they will work it all out

I'll tell you what will dilute THEIR ability to earn ....... When clubs start falling over through over paying players.... Class action my arse ...... If you would all take a few minutes to read why the cap will be introduced then we wouldn't have to put up with such silly statements .....

Will players have to pay tax next year?? Considering there contacts will be known to more people?? Isn't it true that after a certain amount the TAX office no longer deems it as a hobby so will make them pay tax as a 2nd income

I'll tell you what will dilute THEIR ability to earn ....... When clubs start falling over through over paying players.... Class action my arse ...... If you would all take a few minutes to read why the cap will be introduced then we wouldn't have to put up with such silly statements .....

Footy in the EDFL has never been stronger and in a better place than it currently is. 6 different clubs have won A grade flags in the last 10 years. Every club playing A grade has played finals in the past 10 years. All this is totally unnecessary in the EDFL, maybe in some of the backwater competitions its worthwhile but reducing the standard of the leagues at the top is ridiculous. All it will do is force players coming from AFL level out of the game as there wont be an incentive to continue playing.

Footy in the EDFL has never been stronger and in a better place than it currently is. 6 different clubs have won A grade flags in the last 10 years. Every club playing A grade has played finals in the past 10 years. All this is totally unnecessary in the EDFL, maybe in some of the backwater competitions its worthwhile but reducing the standard of the leagues at the top is ridiculous. All it will do is force players coming from AFL level out of the game as there wont be an incentive to continue playing.

Those you state being "forced" out of the game because they can't rape local clubs for as much as they can are probably playing for the wrong reasons don't you think? It is Local Community Footy after all.............

Those you state being "forced" out of the game because they can't rape local clubs for as much as they can are probably playing for the wrong reasons don't you think? It is Local Community Footy after all.............

How are they raping local footy.. The players are being wooed by mostly wealthy middle aged men who choose to use there wealth on local footy. A quote from the great Glen Allison, Some rich guys like to buy Ferraris well I like to buy flags.. All of the players get multiple offers from clubs trying to get them to sign. The smart ones choose a club that can help them move from the AFL igloo into the corporate world, others will just take the biggest paycheck.. But the players are only meeting what the market is willing to pay. It seems there is no shortage of these rich guys willing to put up cash for local footy and it just seems strange we are now telling them we dont want your money anymore and are prepared to let the standard of footy to go backwards.

Without going over the books, it appears Airport West is the only club that has not been able to sustain the financial income and has had to bottom out to get back on its feet. All other clubs have been able to become professional, offer there sponsors more value for there contribution. Long gone are the days of bar sales and meet raffles keeping a club alive. The EDFL is a strong and vibrant local footy competition and the points system will only benefit Abers, Strathmore and Keilor who dominate the junior competitions and give clubs like Marby, Avondale & Pacco no chance of ever competing and the salary cap is totally unnecessary whilst we have had 6 different clubs win the flag in the past 10 years.. If we had 1 club winning every year like WRFL but at the moment all it will do is dilute the standard of footy.

Hey Route, it does happen at every club but most times the player wants to move on, but in these instances the club has moved player/s on (still under contract) basically so they can fit in another player. Also do you understand how the player first got to the club! Maybe look into this and ask a few questions before you respond to this case mate. I can tell you other players are looking around due to what occurred here.

I'm the first to criticise a player for breaking a contract but what do we think of clubs breaking contracts and arrangements? It's a credit to the players reputation that he moved on to another club without issue. Hope he comes back to the EDFL in a few years and really sticks it up them.

One other point I wish to raise is this player is now a 6 pointer due to having moved clubs after 1 year which I think is totally unfair as it's not his doing... He will be 1 point as going back home, but if he was to go to another EDFL club he would have been very disadvantaged..
Turbo i wouldn't know how he got there or why he is leaving, know of him but to be honest have seen him play one game.
Again you babble on with two or three paragraphs to deflect from actually answering a question.
See Scott Pendelbury's take over the weekend on contracts "they are only good for getting a home loan".

Turbo i wouldn't know how he got there or why he is leaving, know of him but to be honest have seen him play one game.
Again you babble on with two or three paragraphs to deflect from actually answering a question.
See Scott Pendelbury's take over the weekend on contracts "they are only good for getting a home loan".

Route, you didn't really ask me a question other than has it happened at Pacco. Yes some good players have decided to leave over the years but don't recall them moving on players under contract especially a bloody good full back. Have tried hard to keep players to contracts but some do want to move. Season 2017 will see only 2 senior players leave and both have played out their contracts and leaving on good terms...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with all this. Just silly. Why is EDFL pushing this? The two leagues either side of the EDFL are going to be far less. Killing off volunteers and clubs let me tell you. Haddy will do it tough and have been for a few years even tho the won a flag, but not in a healthy state. But that's alright let's bring Coburg Districts in (No offence - good club), and see how it pans out...Well, clubs in the vicinity, this occasion Haddy are doing it tough with players, volunteers and money.

Agree with all this. Just silly. Why is EDFL pushing this? The two leagues either side of the EDFL are going to be far less. Killing off volunteers and clubs let me tell you. Haddy will do it tough and have been for a few years even tho the won a flag, but not in a healthy state. But that's alright let's bring Coburg Districts in (No offence - good club), and see how it pans out...Well, clubs in the vicinity, this occasion Haddy are doing it tough with players, volunteers and money.
the $250k pa works out at an average of $631 per player per game. A lot of money per week when you think how many guys are on minimum ($200ish???). Covers the high end guys on $2000 per game? How many in EDFL on that, maybe 2 or 3 per club, guys like mclean, backwell, lower, mcintosh, mcguane, browne,warren, ross, those sorts of players ex AFL?? Dont know but there must be?

Killing off volunteers and clubs let me tell you. Haddy will do it tough and have been for a few years even tho the won a flag, but not in a healthy state. But that's alright let's bring Coburg Districts in (No offence - good club), and see how it pans out...Well, clubs in the vicinity, this occasion Haddy are doing it tough with players, volunteers and money.

I don't know if coburg districts inclusion into the comp has been the reason hadddy are in trouble

Clubs sometimes find themselves in these types of situations due to their own governance/financial situation/ type of players they have/ enthusiasm of club people and their willingness to be involved

Some clubs have done it tougher than haddy and managed to turn it around pretty quickly or at least stay afloat even though struggling

Chapman named playing coach at greenvale

Didn't chappy play one or two games this year and do a hammy? Even though he's a gun, he is going to be 35. Good get by Greenvale, he seemed to coach pretty well in his first year.

Didn't chappy play one or two games this year and do a hammy? Even though he's a gun, he is going to be 35. Good get by Greenvale, he seemed to coach pretty well in his first year.
He coached Werribee Districts this season who are a well run strong club. Not too many nice things said about him from the people in the know down there, nice enough bloke but very limited in his coaching after being paid a truck load(for their comp $50k). Then when the heat come on for him to play put his hand out for more $$$'s.... Result the club went backwards after recruiting well in the off season.
Let's just say they didn't find him very club orientated.
Now Greenvale after Shagger didn't work out would hope Chappy "talks to players other than the first 10 picked in the 1's.............

He coached Werribee Districts this season who are a well run strong club. Not too many nice things said about him from the people in the know down there, nice enough bloke but very limited in his coaching after being paid a truck load(for their comp $50k). Then when the heat come on for him to play put his hand out for more $$$'s.... Result the club went backwards after recruiting well in the off season.
Let's just say they didn't find him very club orientated.
Now Greenvale after Shagger didn't work out would hope Chappy "talks to players other than the first 10 picked in the 1's.............
Spot on Bang... Werribee Districts couldnt wait to see the back of Chappy massive coin spent with no impact at all. Goodluck GV

Getting into a punch up with a sponsor didn't help

Think it's been reported he got into a punch on with another player who happened to be the president's son.

There is no possible way a senior "non playing" coach in the wrfl (let alone any comp) would be on 50k.
And 80k for a playing coach in Chappy, surely can't be true. I don't know what his getting, however if that's true it's an absolute joke. But Bang usually has good mail..

M
Think it's been reported he got into a punch on with another player who happened to be the president's son.

There is no possible way a senior "non playing" coach in the wrfl (let alone any comp) would be on 50k.
And 80k for a playing coach in Chappy, surely can't be true. I don't know what his getting, however if that's true it's an absolute joke. But Bang usually has good mail..
Mighty Mick and Wallis both on $50k(although they both need to raise $20k of that themselves). There's 2 non playing coaches for you.
Chappy at WD - Understanding as loose as it was is that he would play, and to be fair , with him playing makes the side stronger so why wouldn't he play and have a Club First attitude? That was the problem at WD, he didn't embrace "Club first", they realized early on that Chappy saw himself as a coach 1st and foremost, then if he had to play he would consider that.... The Dude had never coached before and ended up not being very good at it....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back