EDFL Premier Division 2016

Two Planks

Norm Smith Medallist
May 14, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
After watching Douttas for the last 3 weeks I am shocked at how many players continue to question and abuse umpires after a free kick is awarded and therefore cop a 50 m penalty. I reckon there was about 8 today and the same last week.

Total lack of self control and is very selfish. Coaches would be pulling their hair out.

Time to relax

Team Captain
May 8, 2009
Sunshine
AFL Club
Carlton
As Turbo will go into hybernation, thought I'll summarise his responses;

1. points system cost Pacco today
2. Points system cost Pacco today
3. Pacco were stretched due to the point system today
4. Footy is screwed because of point system
5. Umps were average, but gee this point system is stuffed

Note: The big win over Keilor recently had nothing to do with points

Sorry Turbo

watch it all

Debutant
Jan 30, 2007
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pacco v douttas in r17 may decide who makes the 4.
The edfl have to make it a final 5, how many other final 4s are still around, its too even a season to have a team like pacco or douttas or marby or strathmore not in finals. Throw in the jets and it can be a toss up on their day who wins

Johndoe

Senior List
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pacco v douttas in r17 may decide who makes the 4.
The edfl have to make it a final 5, how many other final 4s are still around, its too even a season to have a team like pacco or douttas or marby or strathmore not in finals. Throw in the jets and it can be a toss up on their day who wins

I've never been a fan of top 5. I think it makes it harder for the top team to win it as they may play only the 2 games in 4 weeks and it also makes it harder for 4th and 5th to ein it as they have to win 4 weeks of finals. A top 4 allows teams 3 & 4 a chance. How many times have we seen the 3rd & 4th sides make GF's and win them. Top 2 teams have a distinct advantage under the final 4 of a double chance & a week off going into the Gf should they win the 2nd semi.

As it stand this year it looks the 5th placed team will end up on 10 wins. Likely to be 5 - 6 games behind the top 2 teams. 3rd and 4th will be tight but its not to much different from other years where a team will finish 5th, think they could have had an impact come finals time but didn't win enough games to get there in the first place

Johndoe

Senior List
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Had a look at Paco v Marby on Saturday. Was quite surprised at the lack of intensity from Paco early on, but Marby were certainly on. Not a great look when the Paco coach has to push his own players away from a push and shove at half time and that probably summarised paco's day. They did come hard in the 3rd quarter and honestly looked like running all over Marby but again discipline cost them and Marby wrestled control back through the middle and ran away comfortable winners.

Lewis the shining light for Paco and thought Urquart/Ross tried hard and got them going in that 3rd q.

A massive clash this week for Marby - if they can get over the mores they will be a legitimate finals chance. Paco/Abers & Greenvale/Keilor will also have a bearing on finals places. Greenvale are probably the most vulnerable to drop out, with Douttas and Marby breathing down their necks

Canplaythisguy

All Australian
Dec 4, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
for those who weren't there at the EDS v Avondale match. You saw a 16 yr old EDS junior Noah Balta hands down beat anyone Avondale threw at him. Dominated the ruck when played in there after half time. Whenever clouston went to him he beat him too. Massive praise for the young boy.

What I also saw was how important veszpremi and Allen are to Douttas - we failed to break lines and hit targets off half back and going through the middle all day. Since veszpremi has gone back he has been sensational.

Credit where credit is due Avondale saw EDS had a young group out there 15 players under 22 years old and they attacked the contest and the player very hard and fair.
Well played Avondale Heights.

Outside the sq

Senior List
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I have / had been involved in sport at a reasonable level for 40 years. Sadly I have a few comments to add.
Violence in sport other than cage fighting is long gone. Quite frankly anyone assaulting some one anywhere is just that ,assault , and should attract all sanctions open.
I have watched sport at many levels , and the abuse directed to umpires and opposition players and officials at edfl level is close to the worst. Is it because you don't have to pay to get in you think you can abuse anyone and everyone ?
I am constantly amazed by players who consistently can't hit a target 10m away by hand or 30m away by foot , continue to abuse and question umpires? If you are lucky you have to make 20 decisions a game , one every 5 minutes , and still can only get 50percent right if you are lucky!. The only decision you miserable supporters make is a red or green ? Umpires how many?

Johndoe

Senior List
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's gone really quiet on here without Turbo making excuses for a Paco loss! Big week of footy coming up as finals inch closer and still a number of teams in the finals hunt

This weeks tips!

Avondale and West Coburg should be a close game. Struggling to tip one here as AH have showed that they can match it with the middle rung teams but feel West will like the open spaces of Canning Street & they put up a decent performance against Abers last week. Going to tip Avondale by 6 points.

Abers by 10 over Paco in another game that could go either way. Paco last month was great up until last week. I'd suggest they just had a down day. Abers have class all over the field though and seem to have more avenues to goal and a deeper midfield group. Should be a great game however!

Douttas by 60 over Airport West - Airport West have certainly been better over the last month but Douttas just to strong all over the park

Keilor to bounce back against an injury stricken Greenvale. Expect GV to give it everything as a loss this weekend really puts them back in the mix with up to 4 other teams for 2 finals spots

The Marby & Mores game is potentially game of the round. It probably holds the most weight for both clubs. A loss and it ends the finals chances of both clubs and a win keeps their seasons alive. Both teams have been in good form over the last few weeks. If Little plays that could be enough to swing it in the Mores favour. Strathmore by 10 points

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's gone really quiet on here without Turbo making excuses for a Paco loss! Big week of footy coming up as finals inch closer and still a number of teams in the finals hunt

This weeks tips!

Avondale and West Coburg should be a close game. Struggling to tip one here as AH have showed that they can match it with the middle rung teams but feel West will like the open spaces of Canning Street & they put up a decent performance against Abers last week. Going to tip Avondale by 6 points.

Abers by 10 over Paco in another game that could go either way. Paco last month was great up until last week. I'd suggest they just had a down day. Abers have class all over the field though and seem to have more avenues to goal and a deeper midfield group. Should be a great game however!

Douttas by 60 over Airport West - Airport West have certainly been better over the last month but Douttas just to strong all over the park

Keilor to bounce back against an injury stricken Greenvale. Expect GV to give it everything as a loss this weekend really puts them back in the mix with up to 4 other teams for 2 finals spots

The Marby & Mores game is potentially game of the round. It probably holds the most weight for both clubs. A loss and it ends the finals chances of both clubs and a win keeps their seasons alive. Both teams have been in good form over the last few weeks. If Little plays that could be enough to swing it in the Mores favour. Strathmore by 10 points
Nice summation, although unfortunately I think the Mores are already gone. They just can't seem to get the job done against the top teams. 2 wins from 9 matches against the teams above them on the ladder is not a good record. 2 games and 10% behind 4th placed side. Still to play Marby, Abers, a resurgent Avondale, West Coburg and Pacco.

Marby seem to be a real jekyll and hyde. Get absolutely belted by Keilor at Marby, yet thrash Abers and Pacco away, and comfortably account for Greenvale. Are their performances dependant on availability of VFL listed players, or have they had a lot of players out through injury?

Last edited:

Johndoe

Senior List
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nice summation, although unfortunately I think the Mores are already gone. They just can't seem to get the job done against the top teams. 2 wins from 9 matches against the teams above them on the ladder is not a good record. 2 games and 10% behind 4th placed side. Still to play Marby, Abers, a resurgent Avondale, West Coburg and Pacco.

Marby seem to be a real jekyll and hyde. Get absolutely belted by Keilor at Marby, yet thrash Abers and Pacco away, and comfortably account for Greenvale. Are their performances dependant on availability of VFL listed players, or have they had a lot of players out through injury?

If Strathmore win this week they could potentially be 1 game out. They will have to win nearly every game but it will be in their own hands to some degree. They do face a huge task and cant afford any slip ups but seem to have found some form and confidence is a funny thing if they can string a few together.

Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

I have friends that play for Marby and watch them regularly and my take on them is:

Marby are a young team so struggle for consistency at times. Castello was quoted as saying the average age was 22?

Yes like all teams they were hit hard by injuries from after round 1 until the bye but now find most of these players returning.

They only have a couple of VFL listed players that can potentially play (lost Ryan & Wyatt to senior VFL footy) but these players are seen as a bonus and don't define their ability to be competitive. No idea if Corey is going to play because that would be a huge bonus for them.

Turbos mail

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 15, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

This weeks tips!

I'm still reading big footy at times Johndoe, and do like reading posts from you and Stax's. Also like Bangfrom50 input at times, but think it wet conditions Bang will struggle to kick it from 50. Lol
I haven't gone quite because Pacco lost, just want to take a break as i got very frustrated by something I didn't like and some posters have no idea on the game inside the white lines. That's all mate.

And yes I was contacted by Pacco to ease up on a mentioning a particular club involved but I do stand 100% by all my posts, except the one I wrote after a few beers last Thursday so I deleted that one. I guess I was very angry and disgusted. "Still am"

So I've given myself a break from all this, as I to am over 100kgs and only run in straight lines, so I have trouble easing up.

See ya!!!

Back