EDFL Premier Division 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Zinger, Sure, Pick a Club? Keilor Greenvale, etc? Puff has already put his view on Abers young list

I don't have the knowledge that you have, I haven't been involved in scouting for any groups and haven't seen these boys move into Reserves and Seniors like you have ! You said you have names against your estimates so you should share them, I'm interested in your views on this one

Either already playing and established or certainly capable of playing senior footy at Abers. All falling in the 19 - 21 age bracket.

Barrett
Binns
S. Cattapan
Carboni
Dench
Fazzolari
Gale
Gleeson
Hickmott
Hislop
Horomodis
Jackson
Kennedy
McConville
Macdonald
Madden
Mighell
Moore
Moylan
Naughton
Noyes
O'Callaghan
Rasinac
Romios
Stone
Tanner
Thompson
Toy
Tilli
Wade
Excellent list of players, future looks great for abers.

Good Work Puff, Little bit overcooked. However, This list is to my point of the local young boys that Abers, Keilor, Douttas have! Greenvale were a powerhouse in the juniors / U18's however, finished last this season and don't seem to have the local depth to carry into 2017-2019. Abers and Keilor will have the best young and value for money list over the next few years.

Let's put this into perspective. Yes these clubs have good juniors but do they look after them once they move into senior ranks.

As people know they do chase other clubs top junior talent even kids as young as 10-11. Some people are just lowlifes..Yes I kind of understand from 15s onwards the elite kids should be playing div1 footy but kids at the younger ages should be left to enjoy their footy. Clubs contacting young kids at the age of 10-11 is not on.

Let's put this into perspective. Yes these clubs have good juniors but do they look after them once they move into senior ranks.

As people know they do chase other clubs top junior talent even kids as young as 10-11. Some people are just lowlifes..Yes I kind of understand from 15s onwards the elite kids should be playing div1 footy but kids at the younger ages should be left to enjoy their footy. Clubs contacting young kids at the age of 10-11 is not on.
thats the way sport is going mate, stronger clubs will always attract the best players. Soccer is the perfect example of youth moving to better clubs to advance there development, just cause they are young doesn't change a thing. Welcome to 2016.

It's the same as education... if there is a better school around the corner, are you more likely to stay at the other one? Or if a private school contacts you to come across... You go to where the development will be best. Life in general isn't made to be fair and you will not stop poaching.

The lesser clubs need to invest time and money into their juniors programs - more than ever. Getting great coaches and people who can attract families to the club. It's a slow process and can take 5-10 years to get anywhere near an Abers or Keilor's program.

thats the way sport is going mate, stronger clubs will always attract the best players. Soccer is the perfect example of youth moving to better clubs to advance there development, just cause they are young doesn't change a thing. Welcome to 2016.
It's the same as education... if there is a better school around the corner, are you more likely to stay at the other one? Or if a private school contacts you to come across... You go to where the development will be best. Life in general isn't made to be fair and you will not stop poaching.

The lesser clubs need to invest time and money into their juniors programs - more than ever. Getting great coaches and people who can attract families to the club. It's a slow process and can take 5-10 years to get anywhere near an Abers or Keilor's program.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies which I agree with. I do understand some clubs have great programs in place and some good coaches & support staff but some also have been well looked after with facilities which allows for large participation. Both clubs (referred to on here) been in premier for many years with regards to senior footy, and the flow on affect is significant. Better standard attract better people, bigger sponsors etc..

I'm just not an advocate for poaching "real" young players. At the age of 10-11 we still can't be certain how far they will progress, so leave them to enjoy the game without pressure or promises.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies which I agree with. I do understand some clubs have great programs in place and some good coaches & support staff but some also have been well looked after with facilities which allows for large participation. Both clubs (referred to on here) been in premier for many years with regards to senior footy, and the flow on affect is significant. Better standard attract better people, bigger sponsors etc..

I'm just not an advocate for poaching "real" young players. At the age of 10-11 we still can't be certain how far they will progress, so leave them to enjoy the game without pressure or promises.
I agree with Turbo. I've seen many young boys play really good footy in U10 - U16's only to find that their confidence fade under pressure to perform U18+.
Clubs approaching young players with promises of lots of things will only make some of these boys over confident and crash even harder once things don't go their way. Let them play at the young age and really enjoy the game first.....The rest will follow.

I agree with Turbo. I've seen many young boys play really good footy in U10 - U16's only to find that their confidence fade under pressure to perform U18+.
Clubs approaching young players with promises of lots of things will only make some of these boys over confident and crash even harder once things don't go their way. Let them play at the young age and really enjoy the game first.....The rest will follow.

The other thing is the running of EDFL rep teams. To much biased and clubs promising kids opportunities if they cross to there club. It's been happening for years where certain teams have 5-6 boys from the 1 club. Let me tell you even the bottom teams will have 1 good player that is better than the 5-6th best at a higher club.. once again more based around younger ages as from 15s onwards the best group of players are mostly playing in the top division and it takes care of itself..

The other thing is the running of EDFL rep teams. To much biased and clubs promising kids opportunities if they cross to there club. It's been happening for years where certain teams have 5-6 boys from the 1 club. Let me tell you even the bottom teams will have 1 good player that is better than the 5-6th best at a higher club.. once again more based around younger ages as from 15s onwards the best group of players are mostly playing in the top division and it takes care of itself..

I'm not saying poaching is right. My point was that it'll happen regardless of what we say about it being a disgrace. So how do we stop it from occurring so regularly? That means clubs need to setup the best junior program they can so that players don't want to leave that culture. One of the main reasons for leaving is that they are going to a "more successful club".

Clubs really need to inject money into their junior programs:

1) Getting the best coaches
2) Heavily promoting the junior program and getting in well known people to run clinics
3) Making it a really family orientated club

Poaching has happened since sport has been around and it will continue to happen. The best way to counteract it is to take preventative measures.

So the EDFL has decided to video each game of premier. I guess it was going to come in at some stage but obviously been rushed through for season 2017 on the back of the Keilor incident.. Is that player (and that's being nice) Burke still at Keilor after his suspension was reduced, or has he moved to the GFL. I'm hearing Keilor want him to stay, which I find very disturbing..

Anyway what's everyone's views on recording each game? Surely it's going to improve our league!! Interested to see what costs are involved and if the league puts each game up on the web site for viewing..

No doubt the quality of the filming will be fine and clubs will use the film in a development way with players but it will cost each club a minimum of $3600 each !! Every club pays $200 a week for each game in the home and away season , plus all finals will also be filmed plus all junior grand finals
The EDFL is contributing Zero towards the costs , decision made by the board with No consultation with the clubs - as I stated above the product will be fine but to announce an extra $3600 of cost with no consultation by the league is not good enough

No doubt the quality of the filming will be fine and clubs will use the film in a development way with players but it will cost each club a minimum of $3600 each !! Every club pays $200 a week for each game in the home and away season , plus all finals will also be filmed plus all junior grand finals
The EDFL is contributing Zero towards the costs , decision made by the board with No consultation with the clubs - as I stated above the product will be fine but to announce an extra $3600 of cost with no consultation by the league is not good enough
I think this will allow ALL clubs and players to better understand the competition and self assess their own performance....Vision is the best form of review. Whether Consultation between the EDFL & the Clubs occured or not. My view is that if it is $3,600 for the year to have access to ALL games is a very good investment for all involved including supporters that cant make all the games. It's a Good Initiative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All games across all senior divisions should be recorded, but if you say it has been rushed in it may occur in 2018 onwards...

Been in use in the NFL for a few years now, comes in very handy for Coaches and Players to vet not only their own games but their opponents as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been in use in the NFL for a few years now, comes in very handy for Coaches and Players to vet not only their own games but their opponents as well.

It's also been a staple of the VAFA for a few years. All games recorded, and up online early in the week so anyone can go in and watch them. Great for scouting and team assessment. The VAFA have even live streamed a few games through the web on occasion.

I think this will allow ALL clubs and players to better understand the competition and self assess their own performance....Vision is the best form of review. Whether Consultation between the EDFL & the Clubs occured or not. My view is that if it is $3,600 for the year to have access to ALL games is a very good investment for all involved including supporters that cant make all the games. It's a Good Initiative.

Most of the top clubs would pay for this service themselves anyway, so might actually save them money. $4k in scheme of things is f@rk all for a premier league club and they will get benefit out of the service. Its standard in NFL, VAFA and most top country leagues. In the Geelong league umpires can note incidents down on the match report that are then reviewed by an independent league official who has the authority to make a report that is sent to the tribunal.

Most of the top clubs would pay for this service themselves anyway, so might actually save them money. $4k in scheme of things is f@rk all for a premier league club and they will get benefit out of the service. Its standard in NFL, VAFA and most top country leagues. In the Geelong league umpires can note incidents down on the match report that are then reviewed by an independent league official who has the authority to make a report that is sent to the tribunal.

Reports have been made off the tape in the VAFA as well. It serves a number of purposes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back