EDFL Premier Division 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

West Preston

His oldest son going to be a very good footballer
Not coaching but I'd say he'd be involved in some capacity

Met him once back in the rooms one Saturday. Seemed like a passionate guy. Club held him in high regard, despite him not being given the senior gig and decided to leave. Northern left scratching their head he chose to coach U19's elsewhere...

Met him once back in the rooms one Saturday. Seemed like a passionate guy. Club held him in high regard, despite him not being given the senior gig and decided to leave. Northern left scratching their head he chose to coach U19's elsewhere...

Yeah he's a ripping bloke it's unfortunate when good people choose to move on to pursue other opportunities

If every age group went up by a full year..

Why not make U18.5's -U19.5's?

Not as easy as that old mate.
Players at this age are now either at Uni, working, or other.
Footy is no longer the be all and end all. I would encourage the league to cater for and encourage players to stay involved. Keep the Odd years but after U17s, keep the 18.5s. This would give clubs another junior side and more revenue. Going to 19s has had a huge effect already and people won't see this until the season starts. Just to my knowledge clubs struggling to get a 19s up are Greenvale
Avondale
Tullamarine
Hadfield
Airport West
Glenroy
The league is loosing players. With the salary cap and points now in place. The lose of U19 players will mean the standard of the league will slowly decline in the future. Let's fix it now. We have a good brand and are envied by a lot. Let's keep it that way

I wonder what the EDFL stance will be IF Greenvale can not field an Under 19's side in 2017?

In the past the EDFL have been very strong in advising struggling clubs that they will relegated, or their senior team will not be playing for points if they did not field the full compliment of sides. Greenvale's president was also very strong in ensuring that these amendments were made to the EDFL by-laws & implemented by the EDFL. Any more than 3 forfeited games due to insufficient numbers was the guideline given to clubs

Taking this into consideration i'd be amazed if Greenvale put their Premier Division status in any sort of jeopardy by not fielding an Under 19's side in 2017

Where have all the kids gone?? Greenvale used to be one of the strongest clubs and would have 2 jnr sides in each division. Its a growing area, with new estates popping up everywhere.

Where have all the kids gone?? Greenvale used to be one of the strongest clubs and would have 2 jnr sides in each division. Its a growing area, with new estates popping up everywhere.

It's all cyclical. I'd suggest the amount of new families going to GV is rapidly declining. Add to that the work Westmeadows has done in improving their junior program and there is now no reason for a family to drive past Westmeadows to go to Greenvale.

It certainly isn't a slight on Greenvale, it's just the way things go with an area having less and less of a pool to attract from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all cyclical. I'd suggest the amount of new families going to GV is rapidly declining. Add to that the work Westmeadows has done in improving their junior program and there is now no reason for a family to drive past Westmeadows to go to Greenvale.

It certainly isn't a slight on Greenvale, it's just the way things go with an area having less and less of a pool to attract from.

There is about 5 different new housing estates being built or just built in Greenvale ATM. There should be no shortage of kids in the area.

The lack of numbers (if it's so) at Greenvale has been building for some time. They had a great U16 side back in 2013, but you could see the cracks forming below that even then.

With the amount of housing going up around that area it's only a matter of time before they build up strength again.

I hear that Abbers have lost around 6 players from their 18.5 side from last year. But they could be the players that played most of the year but were overlooked in finals because the private school boys came back.
Rumour is Marby 19's will be the team to beat this year.

I hear that Abbers have lost around 6 players from their 18.5 side from last year. But they could be the players that played most of the year but were overlooked in finals because the private school boys came back.
Rumour is Marby 19's will be the team to beat this year.

6 players.. I reckon that would be stock standard probably below the norm for most clubs with the jump between jnr and snr footy.. At that age, blokes might go away for uni, get jobs, start travelling, get loved up and all of a sudden running around in 4 degrees on a Tuesday night in June is no longer that appealing.

Not as easy as that old mate.
Players at this age are now either at Uni, working, or other.
Footy is no longer the be all and end all. I would encourage the league to cater for and encourage players to stay involved. Keep the Odd years but after U17s, keep the 18.5s. This would give clubs another junior side and more revenue. Going to 19s has had a huge effect already and people won't see this until the season starts. Just to my knowledge clubs struggling to get a 19s up are Greenvale
Avondale
Tullamarine
Hadfield
Airport West
Glenroy
The league is loosing players. With the salary cap and points now in place. The lose of U19 players will mean the standard of the league will slowly decline in the future. Let's fix it now. We have a good brand and are envied by a lot. Let's keep it that way

What happened at Glenroy as they fielded two under 18.5 sides last year that's a huge drop off from two side to no sides

Last edited:
6 players.. I reckon that would be stock standard probably below the norm for most clubs with the jump between jnr and snr footy.. At that age, blokes might go away for uni, get jobs, start travelling, get loved up and all of a sudden running around in 4 degrees on a Tuesday night in June is no longer that appealing.
I am informed those players have mainly been spread between Marby and Douttas

With a bit over a month until the season kicks off, can anyone provide a bit of a list evaluation of any side? Perhaps 3 areas, Players lost, new recruits, u18's coming up ????

With a bit over a month until the season kicks off, can anyone provide a bit of a list evaluation of any side? Perhaps 3 areas, Players lost, new recruits, u18's coming up ????

I can have a crack. I support EDS and have watched a bit of training there. As for other clubs I would only be going of clearances and whispers. Hopefully others can pump up their clubs and give us a clearer picture.

Doutta's:
In - Schroder. Morris. Landt. Dimatteo. Langtry. Bartee. Kazuro. Boyse. Angus. C.Lynch. R.Allan.
Out - King. Hobbs. Iermano. Clarke

18's to watch - Brodie Meyers. Noah Balta. Ben Caluzzi.

Added some real quality that should see them take the step from just out of the finals into finals in 2017. Would be aiming for top 2 with luck. Rucks still a big issue and could be Achilles heel. Chris Lynch and Jordan Angus return who have been ok in the past but are still no match for the best big blokes in the comp. Morris, Kazuro and Dimatteo add depth to defence and Boyse and Landt will help Hughes/Marklew on the scoreboard.
Langtry quality midfielder and popular clubman and Schroder should be in EDFL elite midfielders. Wallis is a very good coach and the players love him, this is biggest test so far. Expectations can get out of control at Doutta's!!

My Ladder -

Keilor
EDS
ABERS
Strathmore
Pascoe Vale
Marby Park.
Greenvale.
Avondale Heights.
West Coburg.
Craigieburn.

Could barely split the top 5 teams. PV I have 5th could easily win the flag. Marby 6th could be the smoky, but don't think they have enough depth to cover injuries. I don't believe the bottom 4 can play finals. AH, WC and CB to fight out relagation battle.

I can have a crack. I support EDS and have watched a bit of training there. As for other clubs I would only be going of clearances and whispers. Hopefully others can pump up their clubs and give us a clearer picture.

Doutta's:
In - Schroder. Morris. Landt. Dimatteo. Langtry. Bartee. Kazuro. Boyse. Angus. C.Lynch. R.Allan.
Out - King. Hobbs. Iermano. Clarke

18's to watch - Brodie Meyers. Noah Balta. Ben Caluzzi.

Added some real quality that should see them take the step from just out of the finals into finals in 2017. Would be aiming for top 2 with luck. Rucks still a big issue and could be Achilles heel. Chris Lynch and Jordan Angus return who have been ok in the past but are still no match for the best big blokes in the comp. Morris, Kazuro and Dimatteo add depth to defence and Boyse and Landt will help Hughes/Marklew on the scoreboard.
Langtry quality midfielder and popular clubman and Schroder should be in EDFL elite midfielders. Wallis is a very good coach and the players love him, this is biggest test so far. Expectations can get out of control at Doutta's!!

My Ladder -

Keilor
EDS
ABERS
Strathmore
Pascoe Vale
Marby Park.
Greenvale.
Avondale Heights.
West Coburg.
Craigieburn.

Could barely split the top 5 teams. PV I have 5th could easily win the flag. Marby 6th could be the smoky, but don't think they have enough depth to cover injuries. I don't believe the bottom 4 can play finals. AH, WC and CB to fight out relagation battle.
No mention of Fletcher?

No mention of Fletcher?

Good note! I agree Doutta's will be very strong in 2017 and top 4 will be tight. I notice and if you're prediction is correct you have Greenvale 7th and could be the biggest challenge for the club in years with that many players that have left reserves and pretty much without a 19's team. Big drop off from the top of the heap!
Relegation CRAIGIEBURN

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back