EDFL Premier Division 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Would obviously be a massive boost for the club if he plays. Could play either end and be very valuable. I'll believe it when I seen him run out though
Marketing ploy with Fletcher. Wouldn't be surprised if plays the same amount of games as Joel Corey played at Marby last year.
Good on them though, they've recruited well it seems.

Good note! I agree Doutta's will be very strong in 2017 and top 4 will be tight. I notice and if you're prediction is correct you have Greenvale 7th and could be the biggest challenge for the club in years with that many players that have left reserves and pretty much without a 19's team. Big drop off from the top of the heap!
Relegation CRAIGIEBURN

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Always a dangerous move writing off Greenvale but in such a tight competition having they fallen behind a touch ? Lost some key players and big question mark on the coach!

Marketing ploy with Fletcher. Wouldn't be surprised if plays the same amount of games as Joel Corey played at Marby last year.
Good on them though, they've recruited well it seems.

I honestly don't think it was a marketing ploy, what is gained by doing it if he doesn't play ? He is very close mates with Wally and when he signed I believe he every intention to play some games. Maybe after thoughts and doubts on his body have convinced him otherwise ? Premier EDFL is extremely high standard for local footy and can't be done half arse'd. He would create a points issue at full strength as well.
Like I said I hope to see him play some games and draw a crowd, but he would have to run out in a eDS jumper before i would believe it.

I honestly don't think it was a marketing ploy, what is gained by doing it if he doesn't play ? He is very close mates with Wally and when he signed I believe he every intention to play some games. Maybe after thoughts and doubts on his body have convinced him otherwise ? Premier EDFL is extremely high standard for local footy and can't be done half arse'd. He would create a points issue at full strength as well.
Like I said I hope to see him play some games and draw a crowd, but he would have to run out in a eDS jumper before i would believe it.

I know Fletch came from PEGS but did he have a junior club early on, as in U10s or something like that? If so was it Douttas and is that classed as a returning junior?
Also Craigieburn definite spooners. They will go in without an U19s or reserves. Eg too young. So if they decide to scrape together a 19s then there will be no numbers for a 2s unless things drastically change in 5 weeks.

What is gained? I take it your not in marketing. He may have had intentions to play who knows. Maybe some of the recruits went there in the hope of playing with him, would some of them have gone there if they knew he wasn't playing? Again, who knows. There's probably only two people who do know you'd think.

With a bit over a month until the season kicks off, can anyone provide a bit of a list evaluation of any side? Perhaps 3 areas, Players lost, new recruits, u18's coming up ????

Greenvale

In: Paul Chapman, Courtney Dempsey, Josh Webb, Matthew Stillman

Out: Trent Shinners, Matthew Smith, Matthew Vasilevski, Nick Lower, Jayden Walker, plus a host of reserves players hurting the depth of the side

18s to watch: Trifunovic, Townsend and Ranno who all played last year. Not coming up from the 18s but still young and could crack into the team at some stage; Ryan Mills and Matthew Condo

Greenvale

In: Paul Chapman, Courtney Dempsey, Josh Webb, Matthew Stillman

Out: Trent Shinners, Matthew Smith, Matthew Vasilevski, Nick Lower, Jayden Walker, plus a host of reserves players hurting the depth of the side

18s to watch: Trifunovic, Townsend and Ranno who all played last year. Not coming up from the 18s but still young and could crack into the team at some stage; Ryan Mills and Matthew Condo
Good Report! Chapman would be lucky to play 4-6 matches, Webb, he could be coming off an injury, Stillman will fit in well.

The Outs: Shinners, Smith, Lower, Campisano, Walker. Were game changers and could turn the match around off their own boot!

The younger boys: had a look on EDFL and Trifunovic played every match in seniors last year and in the best a few times, Ranno played one and didn't play for most of the year....Must've been injured. Townsend was in and out, may have a better year.
Mills, Condo should play some games in seniors due to lack of depth. Greenvale have lost more than a dozen players as per transfer lists and only had 2-3 good players come in.....it's gonna a be very tough year for these boys in 2017.

Also, not really recruits but still should help Greenvale fight for a finals spot is the return of Jacob Thompson and Addam Maric to full health who both missed large chunks of the season last year, and when they did play were largely under-done.

What is gained? I take it your not in marketing. He may have had intentions to play who knows. Maybe some of the recruits went there in the hope of playing with him, would some of them have gone there if they knew he wasn't playing? Again, who knows. There's probably only two people who do know you'd think.

I'm not in marketing. Still don't see the point. Not one recruit was landed as a result of Fletcher signing a contract.

I'm not in marketing. Still don't see the point. Not one recruit was landed as a result of Fletcher signing a contract.

A good indication on Fletcher playing more than a couple of games would be to know has he turned up to preseason training? If he hasn't, then he is not that considered, if he has been training then he becomes a factor for EDS.

Good Report! Chapman would be lucky to play 4-6 matches, Webb, he could be coming off an injury, Stillman will fit in well.

The Outs: Shinners, Smith, Lower, Campisano, Walker. Were game changers and could turn the match around off their own boot!

The younger boys: had a look on EDFL and Trifunovic played every match in seniors last year and in the best a few times, Ranno played one and didn't play for most of the year....Must've been injured. Townsend was in and out, may have a better year.
Mills, Condo should play some games in seniors due to lack of depth. Greenvale have lost more than a dozen players as per transfer lists and only had 2-3 good players come in.....it's gonna a be very tough year for these boys in 2017.
In short,
In: Dempsey & Stillman
Out: Shinners, Campo, Lower and Smith,

The lack of juniors would be of concern and you'd hope that they're looking at strengthening the junior arm of the club as having quality juniors coming through goes a long way to preventing a drop off as players get older/move on.

Kazuro will also be in the elite category for midfielders. Top 3 player for St Bernard's on back of some successful years at Top Level amateurs.

Kazuro will also be in the elite category for midfielders. Top 3 player for St Bernard's on back of some successful years at Top Level amateurs.

Elite is a bit of a stretch. Hard as a cats head. Will be a good player for Douttas but will be far from their best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good indication on Fletcher playing more than a couple of games would be to know has he turned up to preseason training? If he hasn't, then he is not that considered, if he has been training then he becomes a factor for EDS.

He has been training his axxx off. If you don't believe me come down and watch him train on Monday night.
You might then take him and Douttas seriously this year.

He has been training his axxx off. If you don't believe me come down and watch him train on Monday night.
You might then take him and Douttas seriously this year.

Simmsy, I agree with you Doutta's will upset and keep a few teams out of the 4 and definitely will be the real deal this year and play deep into finals.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can have a crack. I support EDS and have watched a bit of training there. As for other clubs I would only be going of clearances and whispers. Hopefully others can pump up their clubs and give us a clearer picture.

Doutta's:
In - Schroder. Morris. Landt. Dimatteo. Langtry. Bartee. Kazuro. Boyse. Angus. C.Lynch. R.Allan.
Out - King. Hobbs. Iermano. Clarke

18's to watch - Brodie Meyers. Noah Balta. Ben Caluzzi.

Added some real quality that should see them take the step from just out of the finals into finals in 2017. Would be aiming for top 2 with luck. Rucks still a big issue and could be Achilles heel. Chris Lynch and Jordan Angus return who have been ok in the past but are still no match for the best big blokes in the comp. Morris, Kazuro and Dimatteo add depth to defence and Boyse and Landt will help Hughes/Marklew on the scoreboard.
Langtry quality midfielder and popular clubman and Schroder should be in EDFL elite midfielders. Wallis is a very good coach and the players love him, this is biggest test so far. Expectations can get out of control at Doutta's!!

My Ladder -

Keilor
EDS
ABERS
Strathmore
Pascoe Vale
Marby Park.
Greenvale.
Avondale Heights.
West Coburg.
Craigieburn.

Could barely split the top 5 teams. PV I have 5th could easily win the flag. Marby 6th could be the smoky, but don't think they have enough depth to cover injuries. I don't believe the bottom 4 can play finals. AH, WC and CB to fight out relagation battle.
You wont see Balta or Caluzzi all year as they will be at the Cannons. Patrick Brookes is also at the Cannons and would be crazy not to list him. He has pace to burn, kicked around 50 goals last year and made his seniors debut. John Roumelirtis will have to play some games for Douttas before the Cannons give him a run so add him to the 18's coming up. Chad Sir played a fair few seniors games last year and will again push for selection this year. You can't also forget Cameron Rayner, he did play in the 16's and 18's premiership teams in 2015, but will be at the Jets all year and will go top 10 in this years AFL draft.

Gremlin your response says to me you do get my point but disagree with it. Unless your involved in recruiting your statement can't be 100% validated.
Heard Tanner and one of the better credentialed recruits heading to Keilor both out for the season injured.
Can't confirm the recruit. Did I read they signed a ruckmen from VFL? With Putt and Bathie gone they might be short on bigs.

Gremlin your response says to me you do get my point but disagree with it. Unless your involved in recruiting your statement can't be 100% validated.
Heard Tanner and one of the better credentialed recruits heading to Keilor both out for the season injured.
Can't confirm the recruit. Did I read they signed a ruckmen from VFL? With Putt and Bathie gone they might be short on bigs.

Yes Route we agree to disagree! I'm not involved in the recruiting or anything other role in the club. I just don't draw any connection between players recruited and Dustin Fletcher, I could be wrong.
As for Simmsy saying Dustin has been training his arse off I'm not so sure about. Might be taking the pi55 I think Simmsy, or drinking too much of it

Hello Gents
Probably once a fortnight reader, first time poster here.

Was reading up on the last couple of weeks posts and saw the one about preseason list evaluation.
I pop down every now and watch Marby play as I'm a local and watch the boys run around and am very close with a few of the people that run the back of house stuff and ex players

From what I can gather from the boys chatter about preseason and the EDFL clearances website is

IN: Kokkinakis, Keogh, Martinello, Baravi, Saad and you may as well add Marcus White to that list as he's only managed 2 games in 2 years but is a quality footballer and they're probably it as your "1s" recruits. (Feel as though Saad may be stretch though)
Plus an array of players who it's are too unknown (well to us anyway, I'm sure coaching staff have an idea of their 22) which will only strengthen the 2s ultimately helping the club move forward - I believe the seconds had 10 wins last year?

OUTS: T. Lee and I'm unaware of any other MASSIVE out's

Unfortunately, I don't enough about the 18s to report anything on that front.

The club are confident of playing finals and will be disappointed with anything less.
They've gone from 2 and 1/2 wins to 7 to last year 10 and with the general age of the list being under 25 they're confident in more natural improvement as well as targeting the areas they felt they slackened in last year (forward/mid).

Haven't gotten down to preseason to watch yet but from what I'm hearing the vibe is up and numbers are soaring.
Coaching staff believe they have a solid 30-32 players who could be playing ones football.
Castello really has done a marvelous job since taking over and the playing group really responds to him.

Anyway, I probably won't be on here again for another couple of weeks but look forward to catching up on everything then.

Cheers.

Yes Route we agree to disagree! I'm not involved in the recruiting or anything other role in the club. I just don't draw any connection between players recruited and Dustin Fletcher, I could be wrong.
As for Simmsy saying Dustin has been training his arse off I'm not so sure about. Might be taking the pi55 I think Simmsy, or drinking too much of it

Thanks Gremlin but as you know you never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
As for drinking to much pi55 l don't even like the taste of beer, I only like the effect.
Can't wait for the season to start as I believe seven clubs will be trying to fit into four spots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back