EDFL Premier Division 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched Greenvale at AV and it ended up a training drill. Chapman played as a few injuries and illness took their toll during the week. He went ok and kicked a couple of goals. AV looked ok in patches but for the most part seemed more interested in roughing up Greenvale rather than playing footy. Cravino should have been reported for a late charge into the back of a Greenvale player that just took a mark and that started a scuffle. Chappy took on three AV blokes behind the goal square at the northern end in the third qtr. I suppose there was really little to play for for both sides. Greenvale v Craigieburn this week will be a snore fest with the only interest being how much they win by. I would be tempted to rest half the side to freshen up before the finals.

Maybe so Planks, but that's entrapment and misleading to try and recruit that way.

Anyway this subject has been done to death but not much else to talk about on here. It's very boring ATM..

Rubbish mate Fletcher was going to play and then he got the ambassadorial role with Essendon and it did not work out

Rubbish mate Fletcher was going to play and then he got the ambassadorial role with Essendon and it did not work out

Hey Sempai, you are listening to the wrong people mate. You seriously can't believe that was true.. A lot of stories being spread up there and most are just rubbish. To many lies mate.

Rumours a lot of sponsors not returning next season as Barnard got them on board. Bit of work to be done down at Nipper Oval pal..

How many training sessions did he attend over the pre season

Two Planks, great response mate. Apparently he was there training most nights. Maybe they dressed someone up to look like him or told them he was training during the day time..Who can believe anything at EDS ATM..

All the fun gone out of the page. No ribbing, no half truths.
Everybody is just waiting for what should be a great finals series.

Yes it's very boring. I actually think the interest in EDFL is at an all time low and other competitions are more even and exciting. I can't see it getting any better in the coming years either. It's been boring really since round 9-10. The EDFL would have to be concerned with the current situation.
- Bottom side copping huge defeats and they are not competitive at all.
- The top 4 was settled very early and people, supporters and probably players have lost interest. Personally I think finals crowds in premier will decline from previous years.

Not sure why you think finals crowds will be down Turbo. Most people seem to think anyone can win it so should all be fairly tight contests.
Also the first week of our finals the AFL has a bye. Then the first week of AFL finals has the possibility of all games being played inter-state.

Yes it's very boring. I actually think the interest in EDFL is at an all time low and other competitions are more even and exciting. I can't see it getting any better in the coming years either. It's been boring really since round 9-10. The EDFL would have to be concerned with the current situation.
- The top 4 was settled very early and people, supporters and probably players have lost interest. Personally I think finals crowds in premier will decline from previous years.

No doubt your attitude would be different if Pacco were in the mix or Hillside were in Premier division.

Top four wasn't settled until two weeks ago really. Last year was a bit closer naturally with Douttas and Marbi just missing by a game.

There has been one whipping boy over the past three seasons - Craigieburn, Airport West & Northern Saints - but the likes of West Coburg, Avondale of late and even your mob have been competitive throughout the season.

Maybe you have no interest in finals but saying the comp is at an all time low isn't true IMO. Look at our neighbours in the WRFL - horrible in terms of quality and competition!

We've seen most sides in Premier blood a lot of home grown talent this year and further develop those locals already established.

Depends how you look at it.

He certainly has got the best out of not only the top players but the team as a whole. Having watched Greenvale for years, he has many of the players playing their best footy in years.
Rated him from start as I mentioned how lucky the young boys were getting a run with him, and more recently the young boys in the reserves. As he mentioned in his interview in local paper the list is tight and with all of 3 senior sides sitting on top he is obviously putting in the yards and looking at his whole lists and week pick of sides to cover injuries unavailabilities, has proved some decent development and depth of greenvale list, a list which mostly consists of 1 point players and not big name recruits which I think all the hype suggested other teams would dominate at the start, and greenvale not so much as there wasn't much talk of recruiting just who was leaving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rated him from start as I mentioned how lucky the young boys were getting a run with him, and more recently the young boys in the reserves. As he mentioned in his interview in local paper the list is tight and with all of 3 senior sides sitting on top he is obviously putting in the yards and looking at his whole lists and week pick of sides to cover injuries unavailabilities, has proved some decent development and depth of greenvale list, a list which mostly consists of 1 point players and not big name recruits which I think all the hype suggested other teams would dominate at the start, and greenvale not so much as there wasn't much talk of recruiting just who was leaving.
Plenty of positive signs from the Jets & Chappy, especially considering many thought they'd take a step back with some top shelf talent moving on prior to the season.
A big test will come when faced with some of the bigger bodies of Abers & Strathmore come finals time.
It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out as unlike previous years there is no clear favourites.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Not many gave Greenvale any chance for finals let alone to be on top of the ladders in all three comps at this point in the season. Well done Paul Chapman!

I totally agree with Puff, and can't see how anyone would think the finals will be boring. I can't think of a season of late where atleast three sides are locked even as a premier chance. With due respect to Marby, the other three could all beat each other on any given day. Looking forward to the finals and hoping for a Greenvale premiership but anything can happen.

No doubt your attitude would be different if Pacco were in the mix or Hillside were in Premier division.

Top four wasn't settled until two weeks ago really. Last year was a bit closer naturally with Douttas and Marbi just missing by a game.

There has been one whipping boy over the past three seasons - Craigieburn, Airport West & Northern Saints - but the likes of West Coburg, Avondale of late and even your mob have been competitive throughout the season.

Maybe you have no interest in finals but saying the comp is at an all time low isn't true IMO. Look at our neighbours in the WRFL - horrible in terms of quality and competition!

We've seen most sides in Premier blood a lot of home grown talent this year and further develop those locals already established.

Very much looking forward to the finals, we have 4 very strong but very different teams. Hoping for some light winds and sunshine on Windy Hill so we see a showcase of the strongest local comp in the state.
Abers still fav for mine with that great back 6, Greenvale the major threat with leg speed and maybe a Chapman wildcard ?
Strathmore's gap between their best and worst is too large to back for the flag but any final they turn up and play well they will be mighty tough to roll. Marby the clear underdog but wouldn't wrote them off the cause an upset or 2. What's not to look forward too ?

Ok we have differences of opinion which is fine and not unusual for you and me. Lol

It's just this season has really become boring and less exciting than previous seasons. Please don't compare WRFL with any other top metro comp. They are a basket case. Just think the NFL, EFL etc look to be more evenly spread and therefore more competitive games.

Craigieburn are copping bigger losses than the other 2 recently relegated clubs. They are just using the season to blood youngsters and have really been an embrassment to our premier level of footy. Sides are not playing their best 22 and still beating them easy.. That's a joke!

I'm not convinced the finals series will be that great. It will be Abers v Greenvale GF. Strathmore could have the best list on paper (if everyone is fit) but they all can't fit in under the points..

Only thing I like is seeing, is more younger players playing premier standard.

Which side outside the top 4 can significantly improve to challenge my theory for coming seasons?? Or will the next few seasons see a repeat of the top 4??

Ok we have differences of opinion which is fine and not unusual for you and me. Lol

It's just this season has really become boring and less exciting than previous seasons. Please don't compare WRFL with any other top metro comp. They are a basket case. Just think the NFL, EFL etc look to be more evenly spread and therefore more competitive games.

Craigieburn are copping bigger losses than the other 2 recently relegated clubs. They are just using the season to blood youngsters and have really been an embrassment to our premier level of footy. Sides are not playing their best 22 and still beating them easy.. That's a joke!

I'm not convinced the finals series will be that great. It will be Abers v Greenvale GF. Strathmore could have the best list on paper (if everyone is fit) but they all can't fit in under the points..

Which side outside the top 4 can significantly improve to challenge my theory for coming seasons?? Or will the next few seasons see a repeat of the top 4??

The Craigieburn statement is simply not true. Airport West had a % of 27 last year and C'burn is 24 this year. Very little difference between the 2 clubs. Northern Saints went down with a % of 33 in 2015.

The comp is much more even than previous seasons. 2 clubs will play finals that didn't last season (Strathmore & Marby) and at least 1 side will play in a GF that didn't last year. Abers were morals to win it in 2015 & they did....easily. Most pundits would have tipped a Keilor/Abers GF last season. The top 2 aren't certanties to play off this year, even though they may

The disappointment has stemmed from under performance from Keilor, Paco, EDS & to an extent Avondale. To this point of the season Greenvale, Strathmore & Marby have all improved on last season and Abers have held ground as a top 2 side.

You keep banging on about Strathmore all not fitting in under the points system, again not true! They played on 36 last week and only have Lower & Jarrad as points players that didn't play last week. With a full list they have shown they can beat the top 2, and have split their encounters so far this season with all 3 other finalists. A genuine premiership chance, but, wouldn't be surprised if Marby got them in the first final. Doesn't sound boring to me!

The Craigieburn statement is simply not true. Airport West had a % of 27 last year and C'burn is 24 this year. Very little difference between the 2 clubs. Northern Saints went down with a % of 33 in 2015.

The comp is much more even than previous seasons. 2 clubs will play finals that didn't last season (Strathmore & Marby) and at least 1 side will play in a GF that didn't last year. Abers were morals to win it in 2015 & they did....easily. Most pundits would have tipped a Keilor/Abers GF last season. The top 2 aren't certanties to play off this year, even though they may

The disappointment has stemmed from under performance from Keilor, Paco, EDS & to an extent Avondale. To this point of the season Greenvale, Strathmore & Marby have all improved on last season and Abers have held ground as a top 2 side.

You keep banging on about Strathmore all not fitting in under the points system, again not true! They played on 36 last week and only have Lower & Jarrad as points players that didn't play last week. With a full list they have shown they can beat the top 2, and have split their encounters so far this season with all 3 other finalists. A genuine premiership chance, but, wouldn't be surprised if Marby got them in the first final. Doesn't sound boring to me!
Good summation. Should be a top class finals series. Yes, Turbo has become seriously obsessive about Strathmore's supposed points issue. It has been unambiguously proven to him on numerous occasions, that in the unlikely event of them fielding their absolute best team, Strathmore would come in at 48 points.

Seems that Turbo works on the theory that if you repeat a falsehood often enough people will come to accept it as fact. He may even start to believe it himself.

You are only saying that because paco are not in the finals

K

eilor will be back

Points system in my opinion will see the same 3-4 sides win flag for at least the next 10 years as that is how long it will take for juniors from clubs to start coming through and for ex AFL /VFL players to be syphoned through the system . I expect people from those 3-4 sides to put their arguments forward but they've pretty much had silver spoons in their mouths most of their lives !!!!

Unfortunately it will never be like it was in the 80s and 90s when it really was a local football competition. The way the league is set up, the smaller clubs like East Keilor and Airport West wont be winning any A Grade flags again. Just dont have the numbers in the juniors to come through.

Now I'm no real estate agent but I can't see how the current trend can continue.
Wind the clock back 20-30 years Moonee Ponds, Essendon, Strathmore even out a bit to Keilor and Greenvale were affordable suburbs to buy in. People in there 40's and 50's now have there kids playing, some seniors who are now one pointers, mostly juniors who will become one pointers.
Those juniors will struggle to be able to afford to live in the same suburb there parents have. At the minute you pay over 1mil for a reno around Ess/Abers/Strath. $300,000 less in APW/Tulla/Westy/Genroy gets you a nice home for a first home buyer. These more affordable areas will eventually have kids turning up to there clubs in droves for a game of footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back