EDFL Premier Division 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't tell me the broadcast league match of the round is div2 Burnside v East Sunbury. Oh yeah a lot of excitement in this league. No better games in premier or even div1 at the minimum.Absolute joke surely. What's going on EDFL..

Don't tell me the broadcast league match of the round is div2 Burnside v East Sunbury. Oh yeah a lot of excitement in this league. No better games in premier or even div1 at the minimum.Absolute joke surely. What's going on EDFL..
Should be at oak park vs Tulla. Game has a bearing on finals. Oak park win they play Tulla again next week. Tulla win and TL make the finals

Now I'm no real estate agent but I can't see how the current trend can continue.
Wind the clock back 20-30 years Moonee Ponds, Essendon, Strathmore even out a bit to Keilor and Greenvale were affordable suburbs to buy in. People in there 40's and 50's now have there kids playing, some seniors who are now one pointers, mostly juniors who will become one pointers.
Those juniors will struggle to be able to afford to live in the same suburb there parents have. At the minute you pay over 1mil for a reno around Ess/Abers/Strath. $300,000 less in APW/Tulla/Westy/Genroy gets you a nice home for a first home buyer. These more affordable areas will eventually have kids turning up to there clubs in droves for a game of footy.

You make some valid points Route, but it's not necessarily this that creates the gap.

People living in this fluent areas have deeper pockets..Abers, Keilor etc have these supporters groups that have no problem joining for say $500-600 whereas in other areas it's around $300 to join. Why because they have the cash and 600 to them is equal to 300 in other areas.
That's probably another 20k difference..

Same with junior membership costs. People in these fluent areas will happily pay whatever but in say Avondale Heights, Airport West, East Keilor, Tulla, Taylor's Lakes etc the membership costs are heavily considered..
So if a membership was say $100 more expense in Abers, Strathmore or Keilor than say Pacco, Avondale, Airport West and you multiple that by say 500 juniors that's 50k. If it's $200 more that's 100k.

It's not an even playing field, and that's only 1 example. What about if you added in functions and the like.. It's a huge difference in $$$$

Yes I agree that's life. Some work harder than others and can afford to live in these nice locations and I don't begrudge them, just stating some facts.

Puff, you and I know off a certain exAFL player who played all his junior footy at a club now in div2 where he grew up. He a club favourite down there. Yet he lives in Essendon now and his son plays at Abers..I do understand why and if I was in his situation I would do the same, however it just vindicates my thoughts on it's not a level playing field and balanced towards these clubs..
You often hear of players coming into our league from other areas and states, and they always say club X has offered me this much what can you offer me. The amount just can't be matched. How do clubs raise this type of coin and yes some is from hard work of obtaining sponsors but a lot is from the junior participation numbers..

How do we even it out over time? I don't have all these answers but I don't think all clubs should be allocated the same points. Will it help? Ummm maybe not, but I think it would greatly assist in creating a more level playing field and closer margins. At least for a few years till clubs get things in motion.

You make some valid points Route, but it's not necessarily this that creates the gap.

People living in this fluent areas have deeper pockets..Abers, Keilor etc have these supporters groups that have no problem joining for say $500-600 whereas in other areas it's around $300 to join. Why because they have the cash and 600 to them is equal to 300 in other areas.
That's probably another 20k difference..

Same with junior membership costs. People in these fluent areas will happily pay whatever but in say Avondale Heights, Airport West, East Keilor, Tulla, Taylor's Lakes etc the membership costs are heavily considered..
So if a membership was say $100 more expense in Abers, Strathmore or Keilor than say Pacco, Avondale, Airport West and you multiple that by say 500 juniors that's 50k. If it's $200 more that's 100k.

It's not an even playing field, and that's only 1 example. What about if you added in functions and the like.. It's a huge difference in $$$$

Yes I agree that's life. Some work harder than others and can afford to live in these nice locations and I don't begrudge them, just stating some facts.

Puff, you and I know off a certain exAFL player who played all his junior footy at a club now in div2 where he grew up. He a club favourite down there. Yet he lives in Essendon now and his son plays at Abers..I do understand why and if I was in his situation I would do the same, however it just vindicates my thoughts on it's not a level playing field and balanced towards these clubs..
You often hear of players coming into our league from other areas and states, and they always say club X has offered me this much what can you offer me. The amount just can't be matched. How do clubs raise this type of coin and yes some is from hard work of obtaining sponsors but a lot is from the junior participation numbers..

How do we even it out over time? I don't have all these answers but I don't think all clubs should be allocated the same points. Will it help? Ummm maybe not, but I think it would greatly assist in creating a more level playing field and closer margins. At least for a few years till clubs get things in motion.
I don't know why you keeping banging on about this. It's never going to happen. It's up to clubs to retain their good players now and then try and recruit smartly, till their junior programs are up to scratch.
The league is never going to make it uneven. The points will always be the same for each division. What they should do is lower Divy 1 & divy 2 points so that when they go up a division they will have points in the bank to recruit. Then more juniors will be exposed to senior footy in the lower leagues. So it should be
Premier - 45
Divy 1 - 40
Divy 2 - 35

Now I'm no real estate agent but I can't see how the current trend can continue.
Wind the clock back 20-30 years Moonee Ponds, Essendon, Strathmore even out a bit to Keilor and Greenvale were affordable suburbs to buy in. People in there 40's and 50's now have there kids playing, some seniors who are now one pointers, mostly juniors who will become one pointers.
Those juniors will struggle to be able to afford to live in the same suburb there parents have. At the minute you pay over 1mil for a reno around Ess/Abers/Strath. $300,000 less in APW/Tulla/Westy/Genroy gets you a nice home for a first home buyer. These more affordable areas will eventually have kids turning up to there clubs in droves for a game of footy.

I can guarantee you that the Strathmore pool of juniors live far and wide. Parents travel past 4 clubs to get there kids into the "it" teams.

I don't know why you keeping banging on about this. It's never going to happen. It's up to clubs to retain their good players now and then try and recruit smartly, till their junior programs are up to scratch.
The league is never going to make it uneven. The points will always be the same for each division. What they should do is lower Divy 1 & divy 2 points so that when they go up a division they will have points in the bank to recruit. Then more juniors will be exposed to senior footy in the lower leagues. So it should be
Premier - 45
Divy 1 - 40
Divy 2 - 35

I agree re the points per divisions.

I'm not saying that clubs shouldn't be finding young talent but just stating it's not totally based on this theory as the almighty $ still plays a part.

What do you think of a club wanting to blood some young under 17 players however as they haven't yet played 40 games (but been registered for 3 plus years) they are allocated 3 points.
Do you support this rule??

It's a system that wasn't properly prepared, and really rushed in by people with little knowledge, interest or care for local metropolitan football clubs.
If your going to do something, FFS get it right..

I can guarantee you that the Strathmore pool of juniors live far and wide. Parents travel past 4 clubs to get there kids into the "it" teams.
In some cases maybe true Planks but I'd think a minority. I know of a few kids who started at a smaller club and dominating in div 3-5. Have then got to age 13-14 and moved to a club with a div 1 side for there age group. For mine I applaud these parents for giving there kids a chance to see how they stack up against better opposition.

Best doemmwbt ever

In some cases maybe true Planks but I'd think a minority. I know of a few kids who started at a smaller club and dominating in div 3-5. Have then got to age 13-14 and moved to a club with a div 1 side for there age group. For mine I applaud these parents for giving there kids a chance to see how they stack up against better opposition.
You mean got poached

I agree re the points per divisions.

I'm not saying that clubs shouldn't be finding young talent but just stating it's not totally based on this theory as the almighty $ still plays a part.

What do you think of a club wanting to blood some young under 17 players however as they haven't yet played 40 games (but been registered for 3 plus years) they are allocated 3 points.
Do you support this rule??

It's a system that wasn't properly prepared, and really rushed in by people with little knowledge, interest or care for local metropolitan football clubs.
If your going to do something, FFS get it right..
Maybe say a minimum 4 years registered to be a 1 pointer for juniors not minimum games

That's all good but a lot of these kids will never play senior footy for a Abers, Keilor, Strathmore.
They either drop out at senior level or eventually move clubs most likely to div 1 or 2 looking for oppportunity.
In my opinion a lot of kids would be better off NOT going to the "it" clubs.

Wow just saw the selected teams, craigieburn fielding 4 u17 players small bodies not to mention fair chunk of their actual senior players being small bodies against the top of the ladder and much bigger bodies could be ugly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow just saw the selected teams, craigieburn fielding 4 u17 players small bodies not to mention fair chunk of their actual senior players being small bodies against the top of the ladder and much bigger bodies could be ugly.

I don't like all this as it's a blight on premier footy. Are these kids any good and capable of playing decent footy at even the div1 standard at such a young age?? What has happened to Kite this season along with some other senior players?? Are some of these players just front runners and more div1 types??

Kite for example no doubt has plenty of ability and achieved more than a lot of players in this comp (having got onto an AFL list) but is he just playing more for enjoyment rather than working hard to give his club his best each week?? If so that's his choice and his a good kid but is he someone to build a team around in the competitive premier league..

I don't like all this as it's a blight on premier footy. Are these kids any good and capable of playing decent footy at even the div1 standard at such a young age?? What has happened to Kite this season along with some other senior players?? Are some of these players just front runners and more div1 types??

Kite for example no doubt has plenty of ability and achieved more than a lot of players in this comp (having got onto an AFL list) but is he just playing more for enjoyment rather than working hard to give his club his best each week?? If so that's his choice and his a good kid but is he someone to build a team around in the competitive premier league..
Looking at the ladder considering they finshed towards the bottom of u17 div2 unlikely, will be a massive percentage boost

Hey you flog, have you ever heard of injuries ,plus how are the young kids going to get experience

Hey you flog, have you ever heard of injuries ,plus how are the young kids going to get experience

Haven't you heard of reserves players. Oh that's right blame injuries or maybe they just can't be bothered taking on a challenge so make up excuses.
Oh well you asked for it..

They aren't going to get much experience tomorrow. It's going to be a mauling and these poor kids won't gain much from it. A 200+ loss will not do anything for the kids.
Clearly you people have got no idea just how much CB are struggling. They forfeited a reserves game a few weeks back for the first time in there 50 year history and the only reason they are getting 2 sides out there each week now is because of the help from these under 17's, so the coach is rewarding some of them with some senior footy. Have basically had there 4 best players out all season in Kite, Young, Bongetti, Budjeja which may not of stopped the results but just doesnt help a struggling club. Next year is a big worry for CB so i think thats enough of the kicking into them. Turbo.. your a disgrace and i only hope you no that knowbody takes anything you say on here seriously. Get a life

Clearly you people have got no idea just how much CB are struggling. They forfeited a reserves game a few weeks back for the first time in there 50 year history and the only reason they are getting 2 sides out there each week now is because of the help from these under 17's, so the coach is rewarding some of them with some senior footy. Have basically had there 4 best players out all season in Kite, Young, Bongetti, Budjeja which may not of stopped the results but just doesnt help a struggling club. Next year is a big worry for CB so i think thats enough of the kicking into them. Turbo.. your a disgrace and i only hope you no that knowbody takes anything you say on here seriously. Get a life
From my point of view Craigieburn have been putting up a good fight all season. Yes they have been hammered from pillar to post. However, I for one take my hat off to the players and club officials that have been turning up every week knowing they will more than likely get beaten.

Could the club of recruited better, yes they could.
Could the club of asked the players they had during last season were they going to hang round to premier division, yes the could. They are stupid for not doing that as they would have had a fair idea they were going to win the flag.
Yes these 17 year olds are going to be taught a lesson and will certainly have sore bodies for a week or so, but good on them for stepping up.
I can't see Greenvale taking the game too hard, it will be more of a trading session for them.

The poor young guys playing for Craigieburn copped it twice yesterday. Once on the field and then a god almighty spray in the rooms full of abusive expletives straight after the game. I am no prude but when you are struggling for numbers and are up against it, to get a bunch of kids to help you out and then throw that at them? May be the only things they learnt yesterday is why they are struggling for numbers. I know lots of players left last year and some of the better players got injured this year.

So before people jump on here and say I am kicking them whilst there down etc etc, I will preface that with, I openly stated that Craigieburn are my second team. I have felt sorry for them for the whole year as they are trying to play premier with a much lower quality side than what they had in div 1. Everyone has an opinion on why they are where they are and that's fair enough. I think the boys found out how much bigger, faster and more skilful they have to be to make it in Premier. They will struggle badly in div 1 next year unless they recruit big time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back