EDFL U16 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

They have 6 bench players each week, Hillside may have 2. By my thinking that's a significant advantage.

I would also think that makes them fresher come finals time.

But Hillside have created this problem, should've gone 2 teams only.

Depending on who they roster off, yes could be disadvantage.
I would suggest that sometimes having 6 on the bench is worse, coaches spend half their time worrying about rotating players throughout the game to give all boys a go, that effectively means 25% of the side rotated constantly, it can have the effect of unsettling sides, a player might have just had a good qtr full of confidence and then spends the next qtr on the bench, Most coaches would rather 20 or 21, often the boys they take off are more skilled than the boys they replace? 6 can be a disadvantage , it's rare that any side would get 6 or more injuries?

I said I didn't know why he left.As long as he is happy and enjoys footy that's the main thing.
Thanks for that,but still going on after 3weeks? Trust me he knows he did wrong and he's paid the price, ive watched him play for 11 years and he's never even given away a free kick, so what happened to him Behind play to cause a brain fade ??????? Time to move on and enjoy watching our boys play.

Thanks for that,but still going on after 3weeks? Trust me he knows he did wrong and he's paid the price, ive watched him play for 11 years and he's never even given away a free kick, so what happened to him Behind play to cause a brain fade ??????? Time to move on and enjoy watching our boys play.
Agree, Caroline Springs U17's looking good this year. Got some good kids move from Hillside.

The weekends games again had blowouts galore.

Best game was Strathmore v Abers with Abers being able to get the win with a big last qtr.

Hillside by not so much over WC - are Hillside on the slide?

This weeks games are set to be a couple of good ones with Keilor v Hillside the best on offer - will the Hillside Jets be able to go with Keilors deeper list?

Craigeburn v Abers will be a close contest with both teams having some great talent - may get down to a goal shootout which would be gat to watch

Keilor, Abers and Hillside to be top 3 and any of them could win it on the day

Fair enough but you've asked the question and haven't answered it. What did happen to cause a brain fade?

Don't think your too far away with the top 3. Keilor v Hillside will be a beauty with both of them looking to claim top spot.

Fair enough but you've asked the question and haven't answered it. What did happen to cause a brain fade?
Are we still talking about the Keilor v Abers game? I have spoken to a few Keilor parents whom have said they knew nothing about it, one of the parents asked the Keilor coach about it and apparently the coaching staff didn't see anything either, not even spoken about, so the boy in question might be getting a bad rap?

The weekends games again had blowouts galore.

Best game was Strathmore v Abers with Abers being able to get the win with a big last qtr.

Hillside by not so much over WC - are Hillside on the slide?

This weeks games are set to be a couple of good ones with Keilor v Hillside the best on offer - will the Hillside Jets be able to go with Keilors deeper list?

Craigeburn v Abers will be a close contest with both teams having some great talent - may get down to a goal shootout which would be gat to watch

Keilor, Abers and Hillside to be top 3 and any of them could win it on the day
Strathmore might be the dark horse they certainly look to be the big improver? Are they that good or did Abers have a poor 3qtrs?,
Yes agree the Keilor Hillside game should be a cracker, are both sides near full strength? IE are there boys missing with rep squads or VIC metro etc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we still talking about the Keilor v Abers game? I have spoken to a few Keilor parents whom have said they knew nothing about it, one of the parents asked the Keilor coach about it and apparently the coaching staff didn't see anything either, not even spoken about, so the boy in question might be getting a bad rap?
His father has asked to leave the issue alone, so nothing further needs to be said or discussed.

Strathmore might be the dark horse they certainly look to be the big improver? Are they that good or did Abers have a poor 3qtrs?,
Yes agree the Keilor Hillside game should be a cracker, are both sides near full strength? IE are there boys missing with rep squads or VIC metro etc?
Abers didn't play well in the first half not sure if that was due to the week before and coming off a good win but rallied and got the win after a big last quarter

But Strathmore are a good team, well drilled with a even contribution across the ground and west didn't play so he would make a big difference when he comes back after school / metro commitments.

Keilor will miss Taylor unless pegs have the weekend off don't think they have any other metro squad member who has school footy commitments Hillside have Jacksyn grant out for the year so should be a good game.

Here's a question for the forum

Do coaches or talent make the difference at this age group - lots of coaches try to run game plans etc but not sure if at this level it is the talent available that gets you across the line most weeks - this forum always talks to the talent but not so much the coaching.

Abers didn't play well in the first half not sure if that was due to the week before and coming off a good win but rallied and got the win after a big last quarter

But Strathmore are a good team, well drilled with a even contribution across the ground and west didn't play so he would make a big difference when he comes back after school / metro commitments.

Keilor will miss Taylor unless pegs have the weekend off don't think they have any other metro squad member who has school footy commitments Hillside have Jacksyn grant out for the year so should be a good game.

Here's a question for the forum

Do coaches or talent make the difference at this age group - lots of coaches try to run game plans etc but not sure if at this level it is the talent available that gets you across the line most weeks - this forum always talks to the talent but not so much the coaching.
That's a very good question Fevolution! I think at most levels of footy usually the coach with the most talent will win, but I think the coaches come into their own when you have 2 sides that are equal on talent, it's at that point that the better coached, better drilled sides that can stick to a game plan probably get across the line!
Who would you rate as the better coaches at this level?

That's a very good question Fevolution! I think at most levels of footy usually the coach with the most talent will win, but I think the coaches come into their own when you have 2 sides that are equal on talent, it's at that point that the better coached, better drilled sides that can stick to a game plan probably get across the line!
Who would you rate as the better coaches at this level?
Hard question to answer when you dont get to see that much of the coaches from teams outside your own and you dont get the luxury of hearing how they communicate to the group at breaks etc.

Also a number of the teams have kids that have been involved in the talent pathways (i.e. Jets/ Cannons/ EDFL / Vic Metro / School system) and the coaching they get there also spills over into their teams when they come back to club land and can make it easier on the coach as they bring disciplines / structures back with them.

From what I have seen this year Keilor, Abers and Strathmore are well drilled and seem to have a structure to play to (But as with any junior programme the concept is one thing - the delivery of it is another) - and i also think that these clubs have an overarching club philosophies that they bring in through the entire junior programmes on how they go about things - maybe this is why they are successful clubs through all grades.

That said maybe the best coaches in the comp will be the ones with the teams that struggle every week as it must be a hell of a task to make sure that the boys keep turning up and enjoying their footy each week - keeping kids playing the sport must be the prime goal - not Flags as ultimately this remains kids sport and participation has to be the measure of success

Hard question to answer when you dont get to see that much of the coaches from teams outside your own and you dont get the luxury of hearing how they communicate to the group at breaks etc.

Also a number of the teams have kids that have been involved in the talent pathways (i.e. Jets/ Cannons/ EDFL / Vic Metro / School system) and the coaching they get there also spills over into their teams when they come back to club land and can make it easier on the coach as they bring disciplines / structures back with them.

From what I have seen this year Keilor, Abers and Strathmore are well drilled and seem to have a structure to play to (But as with any junior programme the concept is one thing - the delivery of it is another) - and i also think that these clubs have an overarching club philosophies that they bring in through the entire junior programmes on how they go about things - maybe this is why they are successful clubs through all grades.

That said maybe the best coaches in the comp will be the ones with the teams that struggle every week as it must be a hell of a task to make sure that the boys keep turning up and enjoying their footy each week - keeping kids playing the sport must be the prime goal - not Flags as ultimately this remains kids sport and participation has to be the measure of success

If I'm correct the Hillside coach has coached senior footy before at Moonee Valley. Plus his the same height as the kids or even smaller. Lol

Forum a little quiet as Aberfeldie and Keilor been beaten by less qualified coached teams. Big effort by Craigieburn to kick 7 in the last to storm home, can anyone enlighten us how they played and what happened to Aberfeldie. Hillside just made it happen as Keilor were too predicable going down their wing. Strathmore will be looking for a repeat win this weekend.

Forum a little quiet as Aberfeldie and Keilor been beaten by less qualified coached teams. Big effort by Craigieburn to kick 7 in the last to storm home, can anyone enlighten us how they played and what happened to Aberfeldie. Hillside just made it happen as Keilor were too predicable going down their wing. Strathmore will be looking for a repeat win this weekend.

Yes it is a bit quiet this week, everybody must be busy! Apparently Tye Browning tore it up for Craigieburn in the last qtr and got them over the line, a great effort by Craigieburn
Codmoh, did you see the Hillside v Keilor game? im told there were some very questionable umpiring decisions and 50 mtr penalties against Keilor which apparently altered the end result of the game?

Yes it is a bit quiet this week, everybody must be busy! Apparently Tye Browning tore it up for Craigieburn in the last qtr and got them over the line, a great effort by Craigieburn
Codmoh, did you see the Hillside v Keilor game? im told there were some very questionable umpiring decisions and 50 mtr penalties against Keilor which apparently altered the end result of the game?

Game was umpired well all day with both teams favoured by poor decisions at various times. Overall those poor decisions were few. What i saw was a team not being able to adapt in the last 5 minutes. Always easy to blame the umpires for a loss. Poor form for those that did.

Great response to this by Codmoh. Can't blame umpires. Usually in 16div1 the standard is pretty good mate. It's not often decisions go against Keilor from my time following EDFL. Lol

Game was umpired well all day with both teams favoured by poor decisions at various times. Overall those poor decisions were few. What i saw was a team not being able to adapt in the last 5 minutes. Always easy to blame the umpires for a loss. Poor form for those that did.
Fair point, I didn't see the game so difficult to comment, however was it true that the last 2 Hillside goals came from free kicks and a 50 mtr penalty which put them in front with about 30 seconds to go? ( that was the story that was relayed to me) would be interesting to hear if that was in fact the case, if it is in fact true I'd suggest that is where the angst is coming from?

Fair point, I didn't see the game so difficult to comment, however was it true that the last 2 Hillside goals came from free kicks and a 50 mtr penalty which put them in front with about 30 seconds to go? ( that was the story that was relayed to me) would be interesting to hear if that was in fact the case, if it is in fact true I'd suggest that is where the angst is coming from?

1 goal came from a 50m penalty when player did not come back as the umpire asked, after a Hillside mark,with the Hillside boy needing to kick it from about 30 out with tricky cross breeze. Winning goal came from a contested pack mark 35 out. No point complaining about umpires, maybe the constant complaining from the sidelines influences outcomes.

Last edited:
1 goal came from a 50m penalty when player did not come back as the umpire asked, after a Hillside mark,with the Hillside boy needing to kick it from about 30 out with tricky cross breeze. Winning goal came from a contested pack mark 35 out. No point complaining about umpires, maybe the constant complaining from the sidelines influences outcomes.
Well sounds like Hillside deserved their win, a very good effort on Keilors home deck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back