Edited: No player currently 30 or younger has won a major

Who will be the next 20-something to win a major title?

• Dominic Thiem

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Daniil Medvedev

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Alexander Zverev

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stefanos Tsitsipas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

And people say that young players are not achieving.

Anderson has just broken through to win his first Grand Slam QF and SF to make his first final

He just recently turned a spritely 32! 32 is the new 25 :)

Maybe these things just go in waves. Perhaps more players will start peaking in their late 20s and early 30s, in 10 years it might go back to mid 20s. I wouldn't be too concerned about players ages. Remember how much flak Federer copped in his early career because he hadn't won anything?

Maybe look at how many players of all ages are achieving career high rankings. It's hard to win a slam. It's hard to make a final. It's hard to make a semi. But the following top 32 players are all at career high rankings (Nadal also of course):

Tsitsipas at 19
Zverev at 21
Edmund at 23
Schwartzman at 25
Cecchinato at 25
Dzumhur at 26
del Potro at 29
Anderson at 32
Isner at 33

Tsitsipas made the Wimbledon 4th rd, lost to Isner. He is showing some promise and already made the top 40.

It is the continuation of a history-making campaign for Tsitsipas, who was No. 192 in the ATP Rankings one year ago. The World No. 35 reached his maiden ATP World Tour final at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell in April (l. to Nadal) when he was 18, becoming the first Greek to battle to a tour-level final since Kalogeropoulos at Des Moines in 1973.

https://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/isner-tsitsipas-wimbledon-2018-friday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tsitsipas !

Not this year though
I really like him, both as a player and off the court. He actually gave a brilliant description of Rafa after their match last week.

Asked about the biggest takeaways from his encounter with Nadal, the teenager said: “Of how much I have to work. How much gap there is between him and me in our games, and how much more I need to (do).

“Work more hours and become stronger and (a) more solid baseliner. And withstand pressures, physical pressures on the court that to him it just seems like nothing special. That’s the big difference between my game and his game.

“The patience that Rafa has is amazing. He never cracks. He will always grab you like a bulldog and always will have you — he will always make you suffer on the court.

“And it is amazing what he has built as a player. I mean, he was, you know, normal like all of us, and he managed to become this beast, this monster that he is today.”

But I mean if you listen to our resident expert in this thread, Nadal is just a 32 year old with busted knees...

We still have Zverev (21yo), Thiem (24), Coric (21), Kyrgios (23) and de Minaur (19) in.

Coric in a tough quarter of the draw, has del Potro then Isner/Raonic. I'll tip Zverev to make the SF and play Fed/Nole.

Then again, maybe Kyrgios finally produces, defeats Fed today and Djokovic in a couple days and it could be a Kyrgios v Zverev SF.

Last edited:
Talking about young players, another one to watch out for is Karen Khachanov. He was so close to winning 3rd and 4th set today against Nadal.
Yeah there was a lot of buzz about him 4 years ago, and his progress has been very steady (although his 2016 Chengdu Open title run was quite startling). Few months younger than Medvedev, and about a year and a half older than Rublev.

Yeah there was a lot of buzz about him 4 years ago, and his progress has been very steady (although his 2016 Chengdu Open title run was quite startling). Few months younger than Medvedev, and about a year and a half older than Rublev.
He has been pretty impressive in the last few months, unfortunately he had to face Nadal in the 3rd! lol

I think he got tight in the tie breakers (against Nadal), double faulting a couple of times.

Back