Edmund Blackadder or Mr. Bean?

Which role defines Rowan Atkinson the most?

• Blackadder

• Mr Bean

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this even a question?
Bean is slapstick one joke stuff.

The question was about which was the more iconic role for Atkinson, though I'm happy to have a generalised discussion about both shows because I love them both.

FWIW I think Blackadder is the superior show but not by a huge margin and I think you've done Bean a disservice there.

The question was about which was the more iconic role for Atkinson, though I'm happy to have a generalised discussion about both shows because I love them both.

FWIW I think Blackadder is the superior show but not by a huge margin and I think you've done Bean a disservice there.
tenor.gif

Mr bean is Rowan laughing at you guy's for being an imbicile Iwho'll laugh at anything because you're told its funny.

Blackadder is laughing at you as well but also showing you how stupid you are following monarchs and Tories into war after war

If anyone's gunna start watching Blackadder, for a better first impression, start from the 2nd season, because the first season is very different and nowhere near as good or funny.

Several changes were made for season 2: Atkinson was replace by Ben Elton as one of the 2 main writers. Blackadder's character changes dramatically, basically from a wimp to the cunning schemer he's better known for. Stephen Fry joined the cast as Lord Melchett. And Hugh Laurie joined, but only for 2 episodes, then was a primary cast member in seasons 3 and 4.

The supporting cast for Blackadder was top shelf, it didn't just rely on Rowan Atkinson, the likes of Fry, Laurie and Mayall were all great comic performers too.

Stephen Fry playing General Melchett in Blackadder Goes Forth was a highlight, he nailed the pompous, clueless English general and he had the right look for it.

Upstart Crow is a modern day Blackadder also written by Ben Elton, David Mitchell is great in the lead role but the supporting cast isn't as good as Blackadder.

The supporting cast for Blackadder was top shelf, it didn't just rely on Rowan Atkinson, the likes of Fry, Laurie and Mayall were all great comic performers too.

Stephen Fry playing General Melchett in Blackadder Goes Forth was a highlight, he nailed the pompous, clueless English general and he had the right look for it.

Upstart Crow is a modern day Blackadder also written by Ben Elton, David Mitchell is great in the lead role but the supporting cast isn't as good as Blackadder.

Upstart Crow is great

Ben Elton is an awesome writer. His novels are always easy and funny reads too.

Blackadder (2-4 only) is much better, but I think of him as both.

I also think of him as a member of the Not The Nine O'Clock News quartet. If you've never seen it, give it a whirl. I'm sure full episodes are available somewhere but there are best of DVDs that have made their way onto YouTube. Before my time and a lot of the political jokes are very Thatcher era UK specific, but the sketches are still good.

To those who have said something along the lines of "Mr Bean is only slapstick comedy"...

You will never do anything that even approaches the brilliance of Mr Bean in your life. Not even close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowan Atkinson post Black Adder is similar to Jimmy Barnes post Cold Chisel. It's still Jimmy Barnes, but it it is a sellout.

Mr Bean. I've never really watched Blackadder.

Same. Rubbish cant get into it.

Im simple. Mr Bean all the way. Movie was a pisser too esp the part where he reveals what he drew on the painting. Almost wet myself the first time i saw that scene.

Comedy snobs are quite dull people

Nah....Slack-Bladder encompassed 3 different historical epochs & 3 different characters.

The Mediaeval period, the Victorian Era & The First World War.

It's range perfectly captured & exemplified Rowans abilities as a genuine first-rate comedic actor.

Mr Bean is just a bland one-dimensional character, perfectly suited to & aimed at kids....It's more about mannerisms & pulling faces than anything else.

That's not snobbery....It's just the recognition of a more complex range & hierarchy of achievement.

The dullards among us will unequivocally opt for the Mr Bean option.

Nah....Slack-Bladder encompassed 3 different historical epochs & 3 different characters.

The Mediaeval period, the Victorian Era & The First World War.

It's range perfectly captured & exemplified Rowans abilities as a genuine first-rate comedic actor.

Mr Bean is just a bland one-dimensional character, perfectly suited to & aimed at kids....It's more about mannerisms & pulling faces than anything else.

That's not snobbery....It's just the recognition of a more complex range & hierarchy of achievement.

The dullards among us will unequivocally opt for the Mr Bean option.

Blackadder is one of the best, if not the best, sitcoms to come out of Britain, but this kind of snobbery always makes me roll my eyes. Comedy is meant to be funny, first and foremost, not intellectually stimulating. Both shows achieved this in their own way.

"Mannerisms and pulling faces" is doing a disservice to Mr Bean. You might not like the show but you should be able to appreciate the ability of a comedic actor to generate reactions with almost zero dialogue, and in doing so transcending language and cultural barriers.

There is a fair bit of self-aggrandising egotism with people like yourself. You clearly believe your taste in comedy means you're an intellectual, but your need to s**t on less sophisticated comedy reeks of insecurity.

Blackadder is one of the best, if not the best, sitcoms to come out of Britain, but this kind of snobbery always makes me roll my eyes. Comedy is meant to be funny, first and foremost, not intellectually stimulating. Both shows achieved this in their own way.

"Mannerisms and pulling faces" is doing a disservice to Mr Bean. You might not like the show but you should be able to appreciate the ability of a comedic actor to generate reactions with almost zero dialogue, and in doing so transcending language and cultural barriers.

There is a fair bit of self-aggrandising egotism with people like yourself. You clearly believe your taste in comedy means you're an intellectual, but your need to s**t on less sophisticated comedy reeks of insecurity.

Nah....I never said Mr Bean never had it's place nor an appeal to a certain demographic.

I simply gave the reason for my own preference.....Which appears to be getting up your nose somewhat....That's pretty insecure in my books.

Back