eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
4D2D6325-E99E-44E7-ACB4-CFC83CCE8E19.jpeg
388211D8-179A-4A9F-A7DB-D8CF12493BA0.jpeg
Hello all and welcome back to another exciting year for potential AFL draftees, this thread will be dedicated to all things draft in 2021 and beyond. Be on the lookout for player notes, rankings and a rolling mock draft which have become a staple and as always I’m happy to answer any draft questions you may have.

Last edited:

A further 15 names on the cusp of the top 20

Mac Andrew
Braden Andrews
Sam Banks
Miller Bergman
Josh Browne
Finn Callaghan
Sam Darcy
Kade Dittmar
Morgan Ferres
Blake Howes
Connor MacDonald
Luke Nankervis
Lachlan Rankin
Lewis Rayson
Josh Ward

Sam Banks will be a top 20 pick, nothing surer. Most likely 12-16, but hope he slips to one of the Hawks 2nd round picks.

How's Mac Andrew looking? Draft range atm? By the sound of it he's gonna be a serious player. Of course the dees finally get a good one when the new academy rules are brought in.
Hard one to rate for me at the moment, he has had some good games in the ruck without really taking a game by the scruff of the neck. If he can start to drift forward take good marks and kick goals he will find his way into my top 20 at some point. He isn’t a guarantee for top 20 though in my eyes yet so you might want to save your worries until later in the year when the draft crop starts to come into their own.

How strong is this draft looking early in the season?
Plenty of talent deep into the second round at this stage but that could stretch even further. There seems to be a lot of talent across the positions aswel so I can see a few clubs being able to address needs pretty easily.

Plenty of talent deep into the second round at this stage but that could stretch even further. There seems to be a lot of talent across the positions aswel so I can see a few clubs being able to address needs pretty easily.
Is this view going against the grain somewhat? I’ve seen a few suggest otherwise. It’s confusing for an un-knowledgable fellow such as myself.

Given the close family connection Luke Beveridge was probably thinking earlier in year he might be able to snaffle Finn Callaghan with a bargain late pick
Unlikely to be the case now given his early season form

Is this view going against the grain somewhat? I’ve seen a few suggest otherwise. It’s confusing for an un-knowledgable fellow such as myself.
That depends who you listen to. People who have a day job, and do this as a hobby, or people who do this as their part time or full time job and follow the kids from U15’s and U16’s.

There was talk after the 2019 U16 Championships that this year’s draft crop looked to be deep in talent. This was mentioned by AFL Draft Central writers in 2019, and by the Brisbane Lions recruiters last year on a Lions podcast.

Obviously covid has impacted on the Vic draft prospects who missed playing and developing last year, as well as the changes to the NAB League this year. But the talent is still there in the Vic kids.

The question is, how long will it take for these kids to catch up on their missed development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matty Roberts on debut for the Panthers League team, named on the HFF.

SOUTH

South Adelaide coach Jarrad Wright has made at least three change for the encounter with the Eagles at Maughan Thiem Kia Oval.

Reigning Knuckey Cup winner Matthew Broadbent returns to half-back, Liam Fitt is in the the forward pocket while emerging teenager Matthew Roberts will make his League debut.

And overall? Just average or tracking as a high quality draft?

And overall? Just average or tracking as a high quality draft?
It’s tracking well but I don’t think we will get a true sense for how average it could be until the champs conclude at the end of the year. At this stage I like the top 30 more than last years overall

For anyone worried about Jason Hornes ‘stats’ this year compared to someone like Daicos here are his stats playing 18s last year (as a bottom ager mind you)

Rnd 1
21 disposals, 10 marks (had trouble finding tackles and clearances for this game)

Rnd 2
31 disposals, 12 clearances, 8 marks, 9 tackles

Rnd 3
26 disposals, 4 clearances, 7 marks, 6 tackles, 3 goals

Rnd 4
23 disposals, 7 clearances, 9 tackles 1 goal

Rnd 5
31 disposals, 7 clearances, 11 marks, 3 goals

Safe to say you wouldn’t be hearing any issues with Horne if he was playing 18s as he is an even better player than he was last year and I’m sure would exceed even last years numbers playing 18s with his own age group and getting the midfield minutes that Daicos gets this year

For anyone worried about Jason Hornes ‘stats’ this year compared to someone like Daicos here are his stats playing 18s last year (as a bottom ager mind you)

Rnd 1
21 disposals, 10 marks (had trouble finding tackles and clearances for this game)

Rnd 2
31 disposals, 12 clearances, 8 marks, 9 tackles

Rnd 3
26 disposals, 4 clear marks, 6 tackles, 3 goals

Rnd 4
23 disposals, 7 clearances, 9 tackles 1 goal

Rnd 5
31 disposals, 7 clearances, 11 marks, 3 goals

Safe to say you wouldn’t be hearing any issues with Horne if he was playing 18s as he is an even better player than he was last year and I’m sure would exceed even last years numbers playing 18s with his own age group and getting the midfield minutes that Daicos gets this year
I reckon most people worrying about how he's gone this year are reliant on stats for SA talent, don't think anyone watching him is concerned with 1 down performance 🤗

I reckon most people worrying about how he's gone this year are reliant on stats for SA talent, don't think anyone watching him is concerned with 1 down performance 🤗
I just thought most people worried about him had a "vested" interest in the other dude in the running to be number 1...

Horne was playing high level SANFL football LAST year, as a casual watcher (ie me), that should be all you need to know to understand what a freak he is.

I should probably report on my live findings from today huh

First up I watched Mentone vs Varra Valley in the AGSV. Jacob Edwards had a monster 2nd half kicking his 3 goals in that half and finishing with 27 disposals. Pretty good to get that amount as his running capacity felt rather low to me. A bottom ager to impress for Mentone was Mitchell Rowe who is a medium size mid/for with a foot left foot on him. For YVG it was Judson Clarke who was most impressive especially up forward with his speed and smarts and ability to read the ball in flight and bodywork for such a slight body and small stature, he is a slippery customer i liken to Zac Fisher.

2nd game I saw was APS footy with Caulfield vs Carey. The likes of Rachele, Rankin, H.Hamilton, C.Hamilton, Loughnan and Hodgkin the top agers for Caulfield with Rule, Andrews, Anderson and Thompson the top agers for Carey.

Rachele didn’t kick any goals and would have kicked plenty of behinds but he looked lively and had some nice moments in the midfield aswell. Still not showing his best yet and that tank will need improving.

Rankin spent most of his time in his favoured position down back offering plenty of class by hand and foot, he will impress more people on BF if he plays backline more for Oakleigh.

Hugh Hamilton was clear best on ground kicking 4 goals from the midfield, not many highlights in the midfield itself just winning the hard ball with no frills. Cooper played pure forward for just the one goal and set up a couple of others, his speed and size worry me.

Jed Rule played his typical game getting plenty of intercept marks and using the ball well on his favoured left, certainly one to watch as the year goes on.

Believe this was Braden Andrews first game back from injury and it seemed he was taken out of the midfield to just get match fitness as he played pure forward and didn’t win a massive amount, moved back in the last and had some nice moments with his clean hands and skills. Good size at about 190cm for a mid.

Plenty of talent for next year with the likes of Blake Drury, Tommy Warner, Jaxon Binns, Zac Greeves, Mitch Szybkowski and especially Nick McLarty from Caulfield and the likes of Sam Nehme, Eli Taylor and Noah Barnes for Carey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back