eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
4D2D6325-E99E-44E7-ACB4-CFC83CCE8E19.jpeg

388211D8-179A-4A9F-A7DB-D8CF12493BA0.jpeg

Hello all and welcome back to another exciting year for potential AFL draftees, this thread will be dedicated to all things draft in 2021 and beyond. Be on the lookout for player notes, rankings and a rolling mock draft which have become a staple and as always I’m happy to answer any draft questions you may have.

Last edited:

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Derp, I stuffed that up

Cerra and 8 or Horne and 23
Cerra is Frem 5th mid right? He is clearly behind Fyfe, Mundy, Brayshaw and Serong, so for me its Horne who has potential of being a top 3 mid in a side and 8 v 23 (the percentages are in my signature) is a good differential but i would still go Horne because i dont know if Cerra ever reaches his potential? He is a classy player at times, my concern is its not often enough for Freo why would it be different elsewhere if he moves? I see Cerra as a solid mid rather than a match winner and solid mids are everwhere in every club, the draft is about trying to uncover stars, thats what all clubs hope for is that small chance the kid you draft has that special something that few have to be a star.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cerra is Frem 5th mid right? He is clearly behind Fyfe, Mundy, Brayshaw and Serong, so for me its Horne who has potential of being a top 3 mid in a side and 8 v 23 (the percentages are in my signature) is a good differential but i would still go Horne because i dont know if Cerra ever reaches his potential? He is a classy player at times, my concern is its not often enough for Freo why would it be different elsewhere if he moves? I see Cerra as a solid mid rather than a match winner and solid mids are everwhere in every club, the draft is about trying to uncover stars, thats what all clubs hope for is that small chance the kid you draft has that special something that few have to be a star.
Cerra is 4th. Serong is the junior which is why he gets the tagging jobs - source JL.

I'll try to avoid clogging up eDPS's thread with Freo nuffies but Cerra could be argued anywhere between the 2nd and 4th mid. I actually think he's being under utilised since our whole midfield set up and plan is based around utilising Mundy's strengths and hiding his weaknesses. He could be played in Mundy's role if we wanted IMO.

On a more draft specific discussion surely the same thing about Cerra reaching his potential applies to Horn when we havent seen him play AFL yet? By default Cerra has to be the safer option then Horne right?

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
For the Swans from what I have read I would happily take one of Gibcus, Goater (assuming he can be a proper midfielder), Amiss or Williams. All 4 of them seem like the sort of player we could use.

Cant see you getting Gibcus, probably goes in the top 5.

Not really a type we need though. Given our current list profile we need an inside mid, a key defender, a ruckman or if the situation presented itself a key forward might be nice too.
You guys got the best key forward last year.
I reckon you guys are good every where for young talent.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
eDPS - where do you rank the bunch of inside mids (ex Horne, Daicos) - eg Hobbs, ward, roberts vs will Phillips from last year?

Dunny82

Debutant
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep Andrew could still be anything, has looked best in the ruck but no reason why he couldn’t become a very good defender or forward.
Hey eDPS,
Do you have an opinion on where you think (position wise) he'd be most likely to realise his potential? I'm guessing if he went to Melb he'd develop more into a forward/2nd ruck behind Jackson

Dunny82

Debutant
Oct 10, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bit early to say but has looked best as a ruck so far
Thanks and yes agree way too early to say.
I just wonder with his athleticism if he'd be more suited to a key position role, perhaps being a swingman of sorts, capable of playing on the more athletic talls like the King twins but also being a handful himself and being able to hit the scoreboard.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
A few games I got to see the last two days

Friday night between Western Jets and Geelong Falcons. The two standout players draft wise for me where Paul Curtis and Mitchell Knevitt. Both have some great traits and some upside, Curtis is showing himself to be one of the gun small forwards of this years crop and he managed a season high 21 disposals so he worked up the ground pretty well and was super clean with his hands and ball use. Knevitt was also clean at stoppages and around the ground, at 193cm and a fairly good athlete to boot I can see a few clubs looking very closely in the 2nd round at this stage. In terms of 19 year olds Liam Conway was very good for Western and Gadsby has had a great year up forward for Geelong and continued that again.

Got to watch a stream of Carey vs Wesley in the APS. For Carey it was Anthony Caminiti that really impressed up forward kicking I believe at least 5 goals and some really impressive ones in the heavy wind at that, Braden Andrews started well down back but was quieter after the first half. Sam Grant good in the ruck and forward and Eli Taylor good down back as a 2022 prospect.

For Wesley the standouts where Pat Voss who played mid and forward and would have kicked at least 4 goals aswell, hard to gauge as a prospect due to his already strong size but looks versatile at least. Elijah Tsatas was all class in the midfield and kicked a stunning goal on the run from 50m he is certainly in the top end for the 2022 draft.

In the WA game it was dominated by the mids, Sheldrick started like a house on fire and kicked 2 goals from the midfield aswell but faded poorly in the second half he reminds me a bit of Alec Waterman. Dittmar was solid in the midfield and very clean hands at ground level but didn’t find to much of the ball. Matt Johnson had some very impressive moments and finished with 19 disposals to be one of his sides best.

Erasmus wasn’t nearly as clean with his kicking as last week with some absolute shanks on his opposite foot but again found plenty of it with 28 disposals and still looked very classy, I was hoping his game skills wise at the start of the year was an aberration after last weeks effort but maybe last week was the aberration.

In terms of bolters Jahmal Stretch again had some very exciting moments with his leap in marking contests, Bryce Watson again very good down back and might be a draft Smokey. Brady Hough a good game aswell and like his game a few weeks ago aswell.

Wasn’t the best game from Williams up forward and a mixed bag for Van Rooyen and Bazzo down back. Amiss the pick of the bunch but was uncharacteristically poor in front of goal kicking 2.4 but still a solid game from him.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
In the WA game it was dominated by the mids, Sheldrick started like a house on fire and kicked 2 goals from the midfield aswell but faded poorly in the second half he reminds me a bit of Alec Waterman. Dittmar was solid in the midfield and very clean hands at ground level but didn’t find to much of the ball. Matt Johnson had some very impressive moments and finished with 19 disposals to be one of his sides best.

Erasmus wasn’t nearly as clean with his kicking as last week with some absolute shanks on his opposite foot but again found plenty of it with 28 disposals and still looked very classy, I was hoping his game skills wise at the start of the year was an aberration after last weeks effort but maybe last week was the aberration.

In terms of bolters Jahmal Stretch again had some very exciting moments with his leap in marking contests, Bryce Watson again very good down back and might be a draft Smokey. Brady Hough a good game aswell and like his game a few weeks ago aswell.

Wasn’t the best game from Williams up forward and a mixed bag for Van Rooyen and Bazzo down back. Amiss the pick of the bunch but was uncharacteristically poor in front of goal kicking 2.4 but still a solid game from him.
I found the WA 19's v Perth game hard to get into tbh, feels like we're not really learning anything new apart from the fact a lot of these guys should be playing at WAFL senior level, and that Amiss is increasingly widening the gap between himself and the other 3 WA KPP's. On Erasmus's performance though, he was copping a ridiculous amount of physicality/ s**t from the opposition, not really in the spirit of the contest imo, but I'll give him a little more leeway for errors considering he was copping rib ticklers

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I found the WA 19's v Perth game hard to get into tbh, feels like we're not really learning anything new apart from the fact a lot of these guys should be playing at WAFL senior level, and that Amiss is increasingly widening the gap between himself and the other 3 WA KPP's. On Erasmus's performance though, he was copping a ridiculous amount of physicality/ sh*t from the opposition, not really in the spirit of the contest imo, but I'll give him a little more leeway for errors considering he was copping rib ticklers

What type of player is Amiss. I heard that his name is contrary to his accuracy as he is an accurate shot at goal

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
A few games I got to see the last two days

Friday night between Western Jets and Geelong Falcons. The two standout players draft wise for me where Paul Curtis and Mitchell Knevitt. Both have some great traits and some upside, Curtis is showing himself to be one of the gun small forwards of this years crop and he managed a season high 21 disposals so he worked up the ground pretty well and was super clean with his hands and ball use. Knevitt was also clean at stoppages and around the ground, at 193cm and a fairly good athlete to boot I can see a few clubs looking very closely in the 2nd round at this stage. In terms of 19 year olds Liam Conway was very good for Western and Gadsby has had a great year up forward for Geelong and continued that again.

Got to watch a stream of Carey vs Wesley in the APS. For Carey it was Anthony Caminiti that really impressed up forward kicking I believe at least 5 goals and some really impressive ones in the heavy wind at that, Braden Andrews started well down back but was quieter after the first half. Sam Grant good in the ruck and forward and Eli Taylor good down back as a 2022 prospect.

For Wesley the standouts where Pat Voss who played mid and forward and would have kicked at least 4 goals aswell, hard to gauge as a prospect due to his already strong size but looks versatile at least. Elijah Tsatas was all class in the midfield and kicked a stunning goal on the run from 50m he is certainly in the top end for the 2022 draft.

I have liked him for a while but it would seem he is moving to a much earlier pick. Whewre do you see Knevitt playing in the AFL?

Back