Draft Watcher eDPS Draft Watch 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon, sell me on Cooper Stephens. Because I'd sooner take Taheny or Jackson in such a position.

I'd almost consider throwing our first three picks at GWS just to move up to that Essendon pick, and get their 3rd rounder back as well.
I was trying to find the best tall midfielder available at that pick, Thought it was too high for Darcy Chirgwin since he has been injured for all of this year so far. That pick was the toughest out of the lot to do and i did consider Jackson pretty strongly, you have enough medium forwards so Taheny wasnt an option.

What have you seen or heard to move Dylan Stephens up to top ten? Vaguely remember you having him in the 20’s recently.
I have him at 18 in my current rankings but have heard some clubs rate him a top 10 prospect at this stage, i do factor my own rankings at times but if i hear enough rumblings i will go with that, i had Will Hamill going top 30 last year in my mocks because i knew a few clubs rated him that highly when i dont believe anyone else had him that early.

I was trying to find the best tall midfielder available at that pick, Thought it was too high for Darcy Chirgwin since he has been injured for all of this year so far. That pick was the toughest out of the lot to do and i did consider Jackson pretty strongly, you have enough medium forwards so Taheny wasnt an option.

We're sort of covered with tall midfielders with Jarrod Berry, Ely Smith and Connor McFadyen.

For me, class and ability is more important than height in the midfield. If Stephens offers something different from JBerry, Ely Smith, TBerry, Tom Joyce and Zac Bailey, I'm willing to be convinced.

What type of mid is Stephens?

My belief is a Lachie Ash type small/medium defender is our primary need. With outside mid with a contested side to his game, a contested marking tall forward, and a young ruck being other needs.

I'd take a medium forward if they were clear best available, and had the scope to play on a wing or through the middle.

What have you seen or heard to move Dylan Stephens up to top ten? Vaguely remember you having him in the 20’s recently.

Expect everyone to start moving him up into the top 10. Twomey mentioned him being in the mix for picks 3-5 on his podcast yesterday.

He’s always been in the top 10 range. One of the elite midfielders in the draft.

Expect everyone to start moving him up into the top 10. Twomey mentioned him being in the mix for picks 3-5 on his podcast yesterday.

He’s always been in the top 10 range. One of the elite midfielders in the draft.

Yeah I’ve always rated him very highly, might even have had a private convo with you about him a while back

Was just wondering what he had heard to push him up as I didn’t think he would have seen a lot of Dylan in the past 2 weeks so suspected it was based off something he had heard and wanted to know. Was hoping everyone would sleep on him. Wishful thinking I know

do you think the talls are weak in this draft ? I've seen jeka play 3 times he looked so plain.even dean looks a flanker with a great kick..do you think yorke from Sandy would get a look in this year ?

Martyn would be the steal of the draft if he went at 23. Hope a team bids on him early.

do you think the talls are weak in this draft ? I've seen jeka play 3 times he looked so plain.even dean looks a flanker with a great kick..do you think yorke from Sandy would get a look in this year ?

Martyn would be the steal of the draft if he went at 23. Hope a team bids on him early.
Talls are a worry and just tough to rate at this stage especially the forwards, McAsey I’d like to see moved forward at some point because he proved he could hit the scoreboard at the 16 champs.

Yorke missed the metro trial squads so would take a huge season from here for him to be a chance

Yep I like Martyn it’s hard to know where a bid comes at this stage

If that's Cooper Stephens.....A bloody good one.
Yes, I mean Cooper Stephens. Inside mid or balanced mid. What's his decision making, hand balls under pressure, and kicking like? Is he tall and slow, or does he have some pace?

How would he complement our midfield of Neale, Mathieson, McCluggage and Jarrod Berry? And our young developing mids in Ely Smith, Tom Joyce, Tom Berry and Zac Bailey? Could he potentially be an upgrade on one or more of our mids?

Yes, I mean Cooper Stephens. Inside mid or balanced mid. What's his decision making, hand balls under pressure, and kicking like? Is he tall and slow, or does he have some pace?

How would he complement our midfield of Neale, Mathieson, McCluggage and Jarrod Berry? And our young developing mids in Ely Smith, Tom Joyce, Tom Berry and Zac Bailey? Could he potentially be an upgrade on one or more of our mids?

Inside mid, athletic enough, big and strong with a decent turn of foot, wins his own ball, distributes by hand exceptionally well, kicking a little inconsistent at times but good enough, decision making under pressure has looked fine to me every time I've seen him play live. I really rate him and thought coming into this season was a legitimate 1st round chance, might slip a bit now with the leg fracture and not getting his chance to shine at the Championships.....I'd love him at the Crows on what I've seen. When he fills out he's going to have size as point of difference on quite a few of your mids like Neale, Lugga, Zorko, Bailey, Keays, Lyons etc.

Lenny you seem to rate Caleb Serong a fair bit higher than most obviously you don't think his size will hinder his draft chances to any great degree?

Lenny you seem to rate Caleb Serong a fair bit higher than most obviously you don't think his size will hinder his draft chances to any great degree?
Ticks a lot of boxes for me as a forward/mid

Natural footballer
Good leap/overhead marking
Tough
Goal sense

And despite his endurance not being great he still manages to be amongst the major ball winners wether that’s in the midfield and even up forward he doesn’t have a hard time winning a fair amount of the ball, reminds me of Toby Greene a bit and don’t think his size will detract him being a very dangerous player.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eDPS Rolling Mock Draft
14/05/2019

View attachment 673960
After listening to Twomey's Road to the Draft today, and hearing the SA coach talk about Taheny, I'd be happy with Taheny at Brisbane's first pick in your mock draft. I'd still prefer Sam Flanders ahead of both Taheny and Cooper Stephens.

And for Gold Coast Dylan Stephens sounds exactly the type of mid they're looking for in terms of style and not likely to present as a go home risk, and bolsters their collection of SA talent.

Talls are a worry and just tough to rate at this stage especially the forwards, McAsey I’d like to see moved forward at some point because he proved he could hit the scoreboard at the 16 champs.

Yorke missed the metro trial squads so would take a huge season from here for him to be a chance

Yep I like Martyn it’s hard to know where a bid comes at this stage

Cheers mate.. You reckon a guy like we koning will go high for that reason ? Can you see jeka making long term? I can't see a afl player in him but I'm being harsh maybe..

Just on yorke I find it funny he misses out yet a player like pretty makes the cut.lol

Cheers mate.. You reckon a guy like we koning will go high for that reason ? Can you see jeka making long term? I can't see a afl player in him but I'm being harsh maybe..

Just on yorke I find it funny he misses out yet a player like pretty makes the cut.lol
De Koning could be anything, has had a big growth spurt and arguably has had more consistent form than what his brother did when he was drafted at pick 30. De Koning has been playing down back mostly and has had some very good and very meh games but whenever he has been moved forward I’ve thought he has looked most dangerous.

Missing out on sandy selection for the first 3 rounds wouldn’t have helped Yorke’s cause

De Koning could be anything, has had a big growth spurt and arguably has had more consistent form than what his brother did when he was drafted at pick 30. De Koning has been playing down back mostly and has had some very good and very meh games but whenever he has been moved forward I’ve thought he has looked most dangerous.

Missing out on sandy selection for the first 3 rounds wouldn’t have helped Yorke’s cause

i do like De Koning more as a forward, he knows where the goals are.

Hi eDPS , How do you rate/compare Matthew Rowell and Noah Anderson to recent highly rated mids at the same time ie. all pre draft? eg. Sam Walsh, Hugh McCluggage, Tim Taranto, Andrew Brayshaw, Paddy Dow, Adam Cerra, Clayton Oliver, Angus Brayshaw.

Wouldn't mind a power ranking of them and the ones I've mentioned if you feel inclined.

Hi eDPS , How do you rate/compare Matthew Rowell and Noah Anderson to recent highly rated mids at the same time ie. all pre draft? eg. Sam Walsh, Hugh McCluggage, Tim Taranto, Andrew Brayshaw, Paddy Dow, Adam Cerra, Clayton Oliver, Angus Brayshaw.

Wouldn't mind a power ranking of them and the ones I've mentioned if you feel inclined.
Yeah I don’t think so hahaha I’d have Rowell and Anderson up with my favourites from last year but not sure exactly how I’d rate them against last year. At the very least I have them at around Walsh’s level

Ralph-Smith had another good game on the weekend going head-to-head with Finn Maginess. Ralph-smith kicked 5 goals and Maginess had a lot of the ball, being very dominant. Worrell was also impressive. Keen to watch these 3 throughout the rest of the year
so neither of them did any 2-way running? any defensive efforts? from what i've seen of worrell is he has the talent and athleticism but no grunt, needs to impose his frame and skill on the games. i rate worrell but needs to show more i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back