Draft Watcher eDPS Draft Watch 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting selections in the Nab League

McAsey named forward

Ash named forward

Plenty of talented under 16s also playing with Tyler Sonsie, Josh Rachele, Ben Hobbs and Jack Rossimel ones to watch.

Young
De Koning
Cahill
Byrnes
Bergman
Bianco
Williams
Jones
Mott
Newman
Flanders
Comben
Baldi
Smith
Sparkes
Phillips
Potter
Rantall

All the names to look out for this weekend

McAsey named forward

Ash named forward

Plenty of talented under 16s also playing with Tyler Sonsie, Josh Rachele, Ben Hobbs and Jack Rossimel ones to watch.

Young
De Koning
Cahill
Byrnes
Bergman
Bianco
Williams
Jones
Mott
Newman
Flanders
Comben
Baldi
Smith
Sparkes
Phillips
Potter
Rantall

I take it that the U16 kids are at Private schools.

Probably goes to show what an underrated player Robinson has been over his career. Think a lot of clubs would be happy to have such a defensive minded winger that can scrap like he can and kick 20 majors a season.

Every now and then will do something spectacular too.

McAsey named forward

Ash named forward

Young
De Koning
Cahill
Byrnes
Bergman
Bianco
Williams
Jones
Mott
Newman
Flanders
Comben
Baldi
Smith
Sparkes
Phillips
Potter
Rantall

Any over agers playing in the Young Guns game on Saturday you think could be in draft contention?

Any over agers playing in the Young Guns game on Saturday you think could be in draft contention?

Kemp and McDonnell would be my favourites but I don’t think any are very likely to get a go at the draft this year, rookies at best

eDPS Rolling Mock Draft
22/07/2019

View attachment 713560
Hey eDPS, I have a couple of questions and a favour to ask.

What is the extent of Brodie Kemp's knee injury? All I've heard is he injured his knee, but not how bad.

Why has Mitch O'Neill dropped so much in mock draft?

Which player is Caleb Serong more similar to, Ben Ainsworth or Jack Higgins?

Now, about that favour. As long as Will Gould and Dylan Stephens aren't an option at Brisbane's first pick, could Brisbane have Luke Jackson at their first pick, and (I can't believe I'm going to say this) Jeremy Sharp at their second pick. We definitely don't need Josh Worrell (unless Daniel McStay leaves).

What is the extent of Brodie Kemp's knee injury? All I've heard is he injured his knee, but not how bad.

Now, about that favour. As long as Will Gould and Dylan Stephens aren't an option at Brisbane's first pick, could Brisbane have Luke Jackson at their first pick, and (I can't believe I'm going to say this) Jeremy Sharp at their second pick. We definitely don't need Josh Worrell (unless Daniel McStay leaves).
Haven’t heard anything on Kemp since Cals tweet, injury didn’t stop Max King and Caldwell going high so don’t see it changing for Kemp.

O’Neill is hard to rate at this stage, I personally rate him higher than that but depending on what clubs have which pick he could very well go late 20s like many others, it’s a very even draft

Closer to Ainsworth, think he will be better than both. See him having a more similar impact like a Gray or Greene

Your pick at that range is tough for me to pick, so many different types available and thought Worell was something different with his ability to play just about anywhere and his scope for improvement. Could be more of a long term prospect aswell as a player to really develop under Fagan.

Haven’t heard anything on Kemp since Cals tweet, injury didn’t stop Max King and Caldwell going high so don’t see it changing for Kemp.

O’Neill is hard to rate at this stage, I personally rate him higher than that but depending on what clubs have which pick he could very well go late 20s like many others, it’s a very even draft

Closer to Ainsworth, think he will be better than both. See him having a more similar impact like a Gray or Greene

Your pick at that range is tough for me to pick, so many different types available and thought Worell was something different with his ability to play just about anywhere and his scope for improvement. Could be more of a long term prospect aswell as a player to really develop under Fagan.
In regards to Brisbane's picks, I think best talent available. I know a lot of people don't like drafting rucks early or even in the first round, but Jackson projects as an elite talent at that position, and he would probably get two years at NEAFL level to develop before Stef Martin retires.

As for our second pick. Again best talent available. The three players you have right after Worrell are the three I'd consider, along with Mitch O'Neill. I really hope Cooper Stephens comes back towards the end of the season, because he's one I'm keen to see, as I have no handle on him at all. But Sharp is the highest rated in terms of talent of the four.

I liked the selection of Joshua Shute at our third pick. It's interesting that Draft Central have him right before Sharp on their National Championships Statistics board, but no one is even talking about him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure oneill has done his knee

I didn't think Serong had the speed or leap of Ainsworth?

Both Ainsworth and Jack Higgins had outstanding TAC cup seasons, dominating statistically. I don't believe Serong has been at that level yet this year.

What sort of player is Cooper Sharman
Sharman has gotten comparisons to Howe and Sturt, so he is a talented athlete who looks to have some real scope for improvement in an elite system, kicked 4 goals on the weekend and he will be one to watch in the Nab League finals in particular when Oakleigh get their gun mids back ro
Give him even better supply

Both Ainsworth and Jack Higgins had outstanding TAC cup seasons, dominating statistically. I don't believe Serong has been at that level yet this year.
In terms of potential AFL impact is what I’m getting at, Serong has ‘match winner’ all over him and he hasn’t shown it this year but his leap is actually very good, not afraid to go for high marks.

Serong had a far superior carnival than either of Higgins or Ainsworth.

If it wasn’t for WA’s form at the end of the carnival he probably would of won the Larke.

Serong had a far superior carnival than either of Higgins or Ainsworth.

If it wasn’t for WA’s form at the end of the carnival he probably would of won the Larke.
Ainsworth as a top ager, played in much stronger and deeper U18 Carnival. He was also injured and missed games due to suspension. As a bottom ager, he also played in a stronger U18 Carnival and was the second leading goal kicker. He didn't play the midfield minutes that Serong has.

That being said, Serong is going to have to play the same position at AFL as Ainsworth. This years U18 Championships, and NAB League, is less talented, but more noticeably shorter. Serong hasn't had to repeatedly compete against kids just as talented, but AFL size, i.e. taller.

You have to be an exceptional talent at sub 180cm to play regular minutes through an AFL midfield.

Ainsworth as a top ager, played in much stronger and deeper U18 Carnival. He was also injured and missed games due to suspension. As a bottom ager, he also played in a stronger U18 Carnival and was the second leading goal kicker. He didn't play the midfield minutes that Serong has.

That being said, Serong is going to have to play the same position at AFL as Ainsworth. This years U18 Championships, and NAB League, is less talented, but more noticeably shorter. Serong hasn't had to repeatedly compete against kids just as talented, but AFL size, i.e. taller.

You have to be an exceptional talent at sub 180cm to play regular minutes through an AFL midfield.

Why did he? Says you?

I don't think McGrath, Taranto, Setterfield, SPS, Bowes, Florent, Simpkin etc is any stronger than this years group of players.

Serong played TAC Cup as a 16 year old also and he's only played around 15 total TAC Cup games in 3 seasons because of school commitments, so I'm not sure what you basing your assessment on, he's barely played TAC Cup this year (2 games) because he's on the most expensive school scholarship in the country ($70k p.a). His only comparable body of work was the U/18 champs and as I said, he was a whisker from the Larke Medal. Ainsworth got blanketed by McGrath and Long in separate outings of his top age year.

As for only playing against short players and him "having" to be a small forward? That's a completely bizarre statement.

He averaged over 8 tackles a game, 5+ clearances and close to a goal a game in the middle, so he probably fit's the exceptional category....

Robertson (182), Schoenberg (180), Rowell (178), Green (188), Anderson (190), Stephens (183), Rivers (188), Mead (183), Sharp (187), O'Neill (181) - Is a fairly standard grouping of opposing mids, it's hardly a bunch of circus short people.

Lachie Neale and Tom Mitchell are no more exceptional athletically than Serong, you could argue Serong has a much more rounded game than either of them, as he averages similar contested metrics but also gets on the scoreboard consistently. As eDPS stated above, he drips with game breaking ability and you could definitely argue he ends up as a Toby Greene (182cm) style dynamic half forward.

It's not bad versatility for a top prospect.

It's a strange gripe on a dynamic player that has been a consistent high performer since the U/16 level....

Last edited:
Reports coming out that Kemp unfortunately did his knee. IMO he sounded like the most intriguing prospect after Anderson.

How will this affect his draft position?

Why did he? Says you?

I don't think McGrath, Taranto, Setterfield, SPS, Bowes, Florent, Simpkin etc is any stronger than this years group of players.

Serong played TAC Cup as a 16 year old also and he's only played around 15 total TAC Cup games in 3 seasons because of school commitments, so I'm not sure what you basing your assessment on, he's barely played TAC Cup this year (2 games) because he's on the most expensive school scholarship in the country ($70k p.a). His only comparable body of work was the U/18 champs and as I said, he was a whisker from the Larke Medal. Ainsworth got blanketed by McGrath and Long in separate outings of his top age year.

As for only playing against short players and him "having" to be a small forward? That's a completely bizarre statement.

He averaged over 8 tackles a game, 5+ clearances and close to a goal a game in the middle, so he probably fit's the exceptional category....

Robertson (182), Schoenberg (180), Rowell (178), Green (188), Anderson (190), Stephens (183), Rivers (188), Mead (183), Sharp (187), O'Neill (181) - Is a fairly standard grouping of opposing mids, it's hardly a bunch of circus short people.

Lachie Neale and Tom Mitchell are no more exceptional athletically than Serong, you could argue Serong has a much more rounded game than either of them, as he averages similar contested metrics but also gets on the scoreboard consistently. As eDPS stated above, he drips with game breaking ability and you could definitely argue he ends up as a Toby Greene (182cm) style dynamic half forward.

It's not bad versatility for a top prospect.

It's a strange gripe on a dynamic player that has been a consistent high performer since the U/16 level....
Don't have time for a full blown discussion atm, but Rivers played in defence, so Serong wasn't up against him the whole time. Stephens, Sharp and O'Neill all played wing, and barely went head to head with Serong.

So that leaves Green and Anderson as the only real top tier, tall mids Serong went head to head with. All the rest are within Serong's wheel house in terms of height. It's not going to be like that at AFL level.

Just at the Lions, Neale is the only sub 184cm mid that plays through our midfield. Most of our mids are in the 185cm to 192cm wheel house.

The Lachie Neale and Tom Mitchell's of the AFL are the exception, not the standard.

I don't have the stats in front of me, I am relying solely on a podcast for this information, but Serong supposedly went at 47% kicking efficiency during the U18 Champs. While Devon Robertson went at 52%.

Don't have time for a full blown discussion atm, but Rivers played in defence, so Serong wasn't up against him the whole time. Stephens, Sharp and O'Neill all played wing, and barely went head to head with Serong.

So that leaves Green and Anderson as the only real top tier, tall mids Serong went head to head with. All the rest are within Serong's wheel house in terms of height. It's not going to be like that at AFL level.

Just at the Lions, Neale is the only sub 184cm mid that plays through our midfield. Most of our mids are in the 185cm to 192cm wheel house.

The Lachie Neale and Tom Mitchell's of the AFL are the exception, not the standard.

I don't have the stats in front of me, I am relying solely on a podcast for this information, but Serong supposedly went at 47% kicking efficiency during the U18 Champs. While Devon Robertson went at 52%.

You are being extremely selective.

He doesn't just only go up against the other players in there at center bounces, he doesn't live in a bubble on the field.

Here are the top 10 average disposal getters in the AFL this season:

Treloar (182cm)
Gaff (182cm)
M.Crouch (182cm)
Boak (184cm)
Macrae (191)
Lloyd (180)
Neale (177)
Rockliff (185)
B.Crouch (185)
J.Kelly (184)

So basically 70% of the best disposal winners in the AFL are out of your "wheel house"

If you prefer contested possessions:

Fyfe (190)
Oliver (187)
Cripps (195)
Neale (177)
Cunnington (185)
Boak (184)
Hopper (187)
Dangerfield (189)
Dunkley (190)
Sloane (182)

Clearences are slightly different, with the main names and the addition of:

O'Meara (183)
T.Kelly (183)
Shuey (183)
T.Adams (181)

This is more in line with your thinking, however, as both lists barely cross over with the same names, I think it's a good indication there's many different ways of being an elite midfielder in this comp, no matter your shape or height.

I mean Rowell is exactly the same height as Serong, do you have the same problems with him?.....

Last edited:
You are being extremely selective.

He doesn't just only go up against the other players in there at center bounces, he doesn't live in a bubble on the field.

Here are the top 10 average disposal getters in the AFL this season:

Treloar (182cm)
Gaff (182cm)
M.Crouch (182cm)
Boak (184cm)
Macrae (191)
Lloyd (180)
Neale (177)
Rockliff (185)
B.Crouch (185)
J.Kelly (184)

So basically 70% of the best disposal winners in the AFL are out of your "wheel house"

If you prefer contested possessions:

Fyfe (190)
Oliver (187)
Cripps (195)
Neale (177)
Cunnington (185)
Boak (184)
Hopper (187)
Dangerfield (189)
Dunkley (190)
Sloane (182)

Clearences are slightly different, with the main names and the addition of:

O'Meara (183)
T.Kelly (183)
Shuey (183)
T.Adams (181)

This is more in line with your thinking, however, as both lists barely cross over with the same names, I think it's a good indication there's many different ways of being an elite midfielder in this comp, no matter your shape or height.

I mean Rowell is exactly the same height as Serong, do you have the same problems with him?.....
Of course I’m being selective, because we’re discussing Serong’s potential by position and the type of mids he’ll be competing with.

I brought up Ainsworth originally, because that’s who Twomey likened Serong to and how he’s projected to play at AFL level. Now I have to think Twomey has got that from recruiters.

I brought up Higgins because a different conversation concluded that Serong might not be as good as Higgins as a small forward at AFL.

So I was asking on potential who is Serong closer to, because Ainsworth went at pick for in what is widely considered a stronger and deeper draft, while Higgins went at pick 16 or 17 in what was considered a shallower draft after the top end.

I don’t have the same concerns about Rowell, because he performs at a higher, much more consistent level.

Rowell’s ceiling is possibly a slightly faster version of Lachie Neale. His floor isn’t that low either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back