Draft Watcher eDPS Draft Watch 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm on a similar wavelength to you on many this year DPS. I have 5 of the top 6 you do , including Robertson, Kemp and Williams. The only one i don't have is Serong, who most actually do have.

As most have already said before, clubs board orders are going to be so different this year, even in the 1st Round. Gonna make it intriguing to see whether clubs trade up or just cross their fingers and wait for their designated pick on draft night.

Gonna be interesting who is right on Dylan Williams. You and me who have always kept him Top 6, or everyone else who have dropped him to late teens or in the 20's.

I'm on a similar wavelength to you on many this year DPS. I have 5 of the top 6 you do , including Robertson, Kemp and Williams. The only one i don't have is Serong, who most actually do have.

As most have already said before, clubs board orders are going to be so different this year, even in the 1st Round. Gonna make it intriguing to see whether clubs trade up or just cross their fingers and wait for their designated pick on draft night.

Gonna be interesting who is right on Dylan Williams. You and me who have always kept him Top 6, or everyone else who have dropped him to late teens or in the 20's.
He has been dealing with a stress fracture in his back, really disappointing as he could have really shown his talent again in the finals.

His clearance work this year when played on ball has gone unnoticed and I can see him playing that De Goey role as a dangerous forward who can go into the middle at times to add some grunt and attacking flair at stoppages.

He has been dealing with a stress fracture in his back, really disappointing as he could have really shown his talent again in the finals.

His clearance work this year when played on ball has gone unnoticed and I can see him playing that De Goey role as a dangerous forward who can go into the middle at times to add some grunt and attacking flair at stoppages.

Yep. Agreed. Players who can meet the moment and deliver game breaking actions and especially inate goalkicking are rare. He's a touch smaller than DeGoey but a touch bigger than Robbie Grey....but he has the inateness of doing what most can't when the action gets hottest.

I had Kemp at 1 and Williams at 2 on my board after the end of the Carnival. Both have been struck by injuries and it would be a very game and powerful recruiter to take them that high( if they shared that opinion). Dunno if i would if my job was on the line lol. But i reckon they're the 2 best topline AFL prospects in this lot.

Hey DPS, given you're one of the few that still rate Williams highly, what do you say about his form this year? Is it being underrated, or are there extenuating circumstances? Or do you rate him more on his previous form? Where do you see him being taken on draft night, assuming no change in current form?

Hey DPS, given you're one of the few that still rate Williams highly, what do you say about his form this year? Is it being underrated, or are there extenuating circumstances? Or do you rate him more on his previous form? Where do you see him being taken on draft night, assuming no change in current form?
His form hasn’t been as bad as some are making out, statistically he isn’t much worse than last year, 2nd in the NAB League for average goals a game sitting just behind Ugle-Hagan.

His form last year especially in the finals is what has him still highly rated, he has battled injuries this year and has been played in a range of spots, I recommend anyone who can’t be bothered watching full games to atleast watch his highlights on the NAB League app and you can see he has still shown some really good signs especially with his clearance work when playing as a mid.

Shouldn’t go outside the top 15 and if he does I can see clubs regretting the decision. De Goey would be my comparison of what to expect of him at AFL level.

His form hasn’t been as bad as some are making out, statistically he isn’t much worse than last year, 2nd in the NAB League for average goals a game sitting just behind Ugle-Hagan.

His form last year especially in the finals is what has him still highly rated, he has battled injuries this year and has been played in a range of spots, I recommend anyone who can’t be bothered watching full games to atleast watch his highlights on the NAB League app and you can see he has still shown some really good signs especially with his clearance work when playing as a mid.

Shouldn’t go outside the top 15 and if he does I can see clubs regretting the decision. De Goey would be my comparison of what to expect of him at AFL level.

So why did you drop him 10 spots to #23? I assume we're talking about Taheny here.

Dylan Williams has kicked 16 goals in 7 games against boys, Cameron Taheny has 15 goals in 7 games against men. If we're drafting on pure talent, Taheny gets picked up before Williams.

So why did you drop him 10 spots to #23? I assume we're talking about Taheny here.

Dylan Williams has kicked 16 goals in 7 games against boys, Cameron Taheny has 15 goals in 7 games against men. If we're drafting on pure talent, Taheny gets picked up before Williams.
Different circumstances with Taheny, the apparent rumours about his commitment on the field worry me. On talent yes he is a top 15 prospect but I’ve seen plenty of talented players not make it due to commitment.

Williams commitment has never been questioned as far as I know

very similar players and risks, good point

Taheny is a good goal kicker who has performed at a higher level, has a few issues and has dropped off a little in form, his champs were slightly under what i was hoping to see from him, he has dropped from that top 13-14 in this draft to the next grouping for me

D. Williams is a similar story, both players i had top 5 pre-season on potential, showed great form in a game in the 2018 champs and the finals series of 2018 but the rest of his season in 2018 was just ok, his entire 2019 season has been either injured or struggling with form, he has missed a lot of important shots at goal and when he does kick goals they seem to be at the end of games when the heat is out of the contest.

i think both are too high risk for top 10, i would rather draft D. Williams and hope he comes good over Taheny, but for me they are both late first early 2nd because of their respective issues in 2019.

Taheny is a good goal kicker who has performed at a higher level, has a few issues and has dropped off a little in form, his champs were slightly under what i was hoping to see from him, he has dropped from that top 13-14 in this draft to the next grouping for me

His championship form was horrendous; & I wouldn't even draft him off the back of it, if that was the sole criteria by which to judge him from....He was clearly playing injured, as anyone familiar with his form in S/A would know.

If I was head of recruitment, then I'd be basing my decision on him, principally on the back of my South Oz scout.

His championship form was horrendous; & I wouldn't even draft him off the back of it, if that was the sole criteria by which to judge him from....He was clearly playing injured, as anyone familiar with his form in S/A would know.

If I was head of recruitment, then I'd be basing my decision on him, principally on the back of my South Oz scout.

thats true, we tend to base a lot of our thoughts on the champs because they are make or break games for these kids, that imo is why he wont go top 10, because of his champs, but based on his SANFL form which earlier in the year was very good tbh, will be where the scouts will base their opinion and what he did last year, thats why i think he will come in end of first early second or thereabouts, depends on combine and interviews whether players slide or not?

in saying that D. Williams had an even worse 2019 champs which is hard to believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thats true, we tend to base a lot of our thoughts on the champs because they are make or break games for these kids, that imo is why he wont go top 10, because of his champs, but based on his SANFL form which earlier in the year was very good tbh, will be where the scouts will base their opinion and what he did last year, thats why i think he will come in end of first early second or thereabouts, depends on combine and interviews whether players slide or not?

in saying that D. Williams had an even worse 2019 champs which is hard to believe.
I believe Williams didn’t play out both games, came off at half time in atleast one of the games. Battled injury the whole month

Got to watch a lot of footy this weekend fair to say I’m a bit burnt out haha

SA reserves grand final was a good opportunity to see a lot of players I rate in my top 30. Stephens the obvious standout but that shouldn’t come as a suprise, Taheny made the most of limited opportunities and played as you would expect using his great leap and hands to outplay his opponents. Not much from Kozzie Pickett but still showed some great signs and still remains a top 30 prospect for me, Mead again showed signs but overall wasn’t that influential. Schoenberg has a solid game but still sits in the 25-40 range for me, Coff looks a solid prospect and wouldn’t suprise as a rookie prospect and more than held his own going into the ruck.

WA Colts grand final was a hotly contested game with a great finish, Izzy Butters looks a good rookie prospect for Fremantle and Leno Thomas did some good things. Western was solid without really standing out, Pina some good moments but could have done more imo and still remains a rookie chance. Cooley the obvious BOG and might be a player that misses this year and could come into clubs radars playing senior football next year.

Nab League grand final didn’t enhance many players stocks in my eyes, Schreiber the only one that now looks a bit chance to go in the national draft. Rowell and Anderson are guns of course and Sharman has his moments. Bianco padded his stats a bit when the game was over and still looks a 2nd round prospect. Stapleton and Mellis look the best chances for Eastern this year.

SA reserves grand final was a good opportunity to see a lot of players I rate in my top 30. Stephens the obvious standout but that shouldn’t come as a suprise, Taheny made the most of limited opportunities and played as you would expect using his great leap and hands to outplay his opponents. Not much from Kozzie Pickett but still showed some great signs and still remains a top 30 prospect for me, Mead again showed signs but overall wasn’t that influential. Schoenberg has a solid game but still sits in the 25-40 range for me, Coff looks a solid prospect and wouldn’t suprise as a rookie prospect and more than held his own going into the ruck.

WA Colts grand final was a hotly contested game with a great finish, Izzy Butters looks a good rookie prospect for Fremantle and Leno Thomas did some good things. Western was solid without really standing out, Pina some good moments but could have done more imo and still remains a rookie chance. Cooley the obvious BOG and might be a player that misses this year and could come into clubs radars playing senior football next year.

Nab League grand final didn’t enhance many players stocks in my eyes, Schreiber the only one that now looks a bit chance to go in the national draft. Rowell and Anderson are guns of course and Sharman has his moments. Bianco padded his stats a bit when the game was over and still looks a 2nd round prospect. Stapleton and Mellis look the best chances for Eastern this year.
I liked the game of Eastern Ranges Joel Nathan, shown a bit in a very even team. Rookie chance perhaps?

Do you think there is a class difference between Stephens and Schoenberg? Some are adament that there is but i have them side by side on my Board at 13 and 14. One is playing some seniors and the other mainly reserves so that prolly says that Stephens is a little ahead development wise. But i am impressed by what i've seen of Schoenberg. I think he has a great nous for the ball and the play. Reminds me a bit of Shuey's style.

Do you think there is a class difference between Stephens and Schoenberg? Some are adament that there is but i have them side by side on my Board at 13 and 14. One is playing some seniors and the other mainly reserves so that prolly says that Stephens is a little ahead development wise. But i am impressed by what i've seen of Schoenberg. I think he has a great nous for the ball and the play. Reminds me a bit of Shuey's style.
That’s not a bad comparison, think his overall damage isn’t quite at that level as Shuey can hit the scoreboard better than most players like him and Shuey a bit quicker. Generally picks the right options and he isn’t a pure inside player either as he can find the ball pretty well on transition.

Yep spot on his kicking has been the main issue but does everything else so well and looks to have some decent speed out of stoppages which helps, I’ve had him in the 25-45 range all year and think that’s about right as he shares some similarities to James Rowbottom in his draft year.
nowhere near as hard as James was but has talent on the inside

Lenny I was very taken by Malcolm Rosas jr's Championships yet he's not getting too much fanfare or mentions in despatches,. I reckon there's plenty of AFL qualities there if he adjusts OK to living in the big smoke....just seems to be flying under the radar to me? Where do you have him?

Lenny I was very taken by Malcolm Rosas jr's Championships yet he's not getting too much fanfare or mentions in despatches,. I reckon there's plenty of AFL qualities there if he adjusts OK to living in the big smoke....just seems to be flying under the radar to me? Where do you have him?
Maybe because he hasn’t been seen since the champs, I certainly still like him. Could be the type a club just loves and goes early but could also just as easily go in the rookie draft as he is a raw prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back