footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Not sure if this should be posted here or in the Employment/Education board, but it's more historical than contemporary.

In primary school in the 70s, we received instruction on learning the alphabet from several charts. One of them had a colour-coded alphabet. (Same era arithmetic instruction was supplemented using Cuisenaire rods.) Just wondering if anyone (any old teachers on here?) knows what the name/method of these charts were?
I remember specifically that the letter 'a' was white, 'e' was yellow, 'm' was tangerine and 't' was magenta (always bugged me why those 2 weren't matched so the letter aligned with the first letter of the corresponding colour - yes, I'm a pedant!).

Edit: just to clarify, each letter had a unique colour.

Last edited:
Not sure if this should be posted here or in the Employment/Education board, but it's more historical than contemporary.

In primary school in the 70s, we received instruction on learning the alphabet from several charts. One of them had a colour-coded alphabet. (Same era arithmetic instruction was supplemented using Cuisenaire rods.) Just wondering if anyone (any old teachers on here?) knows what the name/method of these charts were?
I remember specifically that the letter 'a' was white, 'e' was yellow, 'm' was tangerine and 't' was magenta (always bugged me why those 2 weren't matched so the letter aligned with the first letter of the corresponding colour - yes, I'm a pedant!).

Edit: just to clarify, each letter had a unique colour.

I don't remember seeing that (I finished primary school by 72), but I remember Cuisenaire. They were simple and genius. We actually played with them, so we must have absorbed some mathematics from that.

I remember the magnetic letters we got for our kids to stick on the fridge did not have consistent colours, and I do remember thinking it would have been a good idea. Thinking back - I'm not sure why exactly.

I don't remember seeing that (I finished primary school by 72), but I remember Cuisenaire. They were simple and genius. We actually played with them, so we must have absorbed some mathematics from that.

I remember the magnetic letters we got for our kids to stick on the fridge did not have consistent colours, and I do remember thinking it would have been a good idea. Thinking back - I'm not sure why exactly.

Yeah I finished mid-70s. We played with the rods too, had grey boxes slightly bigger than an A5 sheet of paper full of them. I still remember all the colours!
The alphabet charts were taught in my catholic primary school, there were others with basic words but still using the unique colour for each letter. Can't find anything online, might have to hunt down some old teachers from the era!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back