Edumucation discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Always liked the opening lines to Peter Gabriel's "Games without Frontiers"

Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte plays with Jane
Jane plays with Willi, Willi is happy again

I am sure Willi would have been happy seeing Jane and Lotte playing together and then for Jane to step up to the plate afterwards, what an effort.

How come Jane has a willie?
tumblr_m3blm8olIj1r8iwag.png

I am sure Willi would have been happy seeing Jane and Lotte playing together and then for Jane to step up to the plate afterwards, what an effort.

Poor Hans missed out but Rico gets the raw deal hanging out with that pyro Adolf.

But the current translation of this prose takes into account the current spelling of each word, spellings will evolve over the years, it is only natural. It is the use of one current word with one meaning(of) to replace another current word with a different meaning(have) that should not be done.

I reckon the word 'than' will go the way of words like 'verily', 'forsooth', 'thine' and 'Crows premiership player' before too long.

I'm only a few years removed from your run-of-the-mill public school, Australian history consisted of ANZAC day, Henry Lawson, and in year 8 or 9 throwing a boomerang.

First fleet - maybe in passing.

Stolen generation - must be lunch time.

Even things like the Eureka Stockade and the Batavia were obviously in the too hard basket.

I'm your age (or thereabouts) and I covered Batavia (went and saw the remnants at Fremantle), Stolen Generation and the White Australia policy, Eureka Stockade, Vietnam War and The Ballot.

Not sure why you didn't.

It Just Is I'm in my final year of high school and I feel as though we have had courses based on aboriginal studies every year in English and other Australian history like Eureka, White Australia and the first fleet, learned about the land rights act as a significant part of legal studies last year and I'm studying Mabo as a film text this year in English (perhaps more of a focus on the themes rather than the story the movie is based on though).

VCE History however is international and covers revolutions which we obviously haven't experienced. Batavia I have never heard of either :oops:

I'm your age (or thereabouts) and I covered Batavia (went and saw the remnants at Fremantle), Stolen Generation and the White Australia policy, Eureka Stockade, Vietnam War and The Ballot.

Not sure why you didn't.
It Just Is I'm in my final year of high school and I feel as though we have had courses based on aboriginal studies every year in English and other Australian history like Eureka, White Australia and the first fleet, learned about the land rights act as a significant part of legal studies last year and I'm studying Mabo as a film text this year in English (perhaps more of a focus on the themes rather than the story the movie is based on though).

VCE History however is international and covers revolutions which we obviously haven't experienced. Batavia I have never heard of either :oops:

Wow maybe my high school was slightly below run-of-the-mill.

Every year we had a different S&E (Society and Environment) teacher and every year the month of the curriculum dedicated to Australian history was spent on ANZAC day/Gallipoli.

Every year we had a different S&E (Society and Environment) teacher and every year the month of the curriculum dedicated to Australian history was spent on ANZAC day/Gallipoli.
Which high school were you at? If anything, it sounds like your S&E department did a s**t / lazy job.

If anything i've gotten sick of Australian history. Studying Russian and French revs this year has been stimulating, our history is boring as s**t.

Which high school were you at?

Bunbury SHS. I know Bunbury isn't the greatest area but I just always assumed most schools covered at least similar stuff.

Actually, I was the only person from my year in primary school to graduate high school lol. I like to think I picked up street smarts in my time down there.

If anything i've gotten sick of Australian history. Studying Russian and French revs this year has been stimulating, our history is boring as s**t.

That depends on how you look at it. I find it fascinating how demographics have taken shape over the last 200 hundred years in different parts of the country, similar I suppose to the US...whereas you have to look at perhaps a 1000 years for similar results in a lot of countries with long recorded histories

Bunbury SHS. I know Bunbury isn't the greatest area but I just always assumed most schools covered at least similar stuff.

Actually, I was the only person from my year in primary school to graduate high school lol. I like to think I picked up street smarts in my time down there.
Schools are meant to teach to the same curriculum, so your assumption should be bang on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ew, BDC

That depends on how you look at it. I find it fascinating how demographics have taken shape over the last 200 hundred years in different parts of the country, similar I suppose to the US...whereas you have to look at perhaps a 1000 years for similar results in a lot of countries with long recorded histories
hell nah revs are way more exciting, seeing hundred year old dynastys built on social systems used for thousands of years get overthrown and the conflicts faced during that phase of building a new society is interesting.

ew, BDC

hell nah revs are way more exciting, seeing hundred year old dynastys built on social systems used for thousands of years get overthrown and the conflicts faced during that phase of building a new society is interesting.

Like I wrote...depends on how you look at it. Here we have local demographics being created at a tremendous pace, compared to the 'Old World' where it has more or less reached establishment in most places.

Phones and text are ruining spelling, someone sends a text and replaces "have" with "of" ; sooner or later you have a whole generation who have never been exposed to the correct spelling of the word and believe that the two are interchangeable.

I guess that's how language evolves - words and meanings change over time, often as common misunderstandings become the accepted norm. See the pronunciation of the letter 'h'.

I guess that's how language evolves - words and meanings change over time, often as common misunderstandings become the accepted norm. See the pronunciation of the letter 'h'.

Do you mean the 'aitch' haitch or the 'haitch' haitch?

in British Columbia, Canada, the 2014/15 school year is supposed to start on Tuesday but the public school system and the teachers are continuing their labour dispute that has dragged on since May. The government is conservative and plays on popular hatred of teachers. In fact I can only conclude that 70% of Canadians are still traumatised by being kept in detention in grade 10. It's a very American attitude.

in British Columbia, Canada, the 2014/15 school year is supposed to start on Tuesday but the public school system and the teachers are continuing their labour dispute that has dragged on since May. The government is conservative and plays on popular hatred of teachers. In fact I can only conclude that 70% of Canadians are still traumatised by being kept in detention in grade 10. It's a very American attitude.
That's how politicians there make sure that any particular finance vote they don't want to go through fails. They describe it as "more money for teachers".

upload_2017-10-29_12-30-38.jpeg [URL='https://www.google.com.au/search?q=book+shag+the+pony+image&dcr=0&tbm=isch&source=iu&pf=m&ictx=1&fir=1u4C-lB-hdsAsM%253A%252CzKLeHu-2TDiwMM%252C_&usg=__Qoajyrfse90vMap0GCuLsEIKYio%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj8vOKC3pTXAhXLwLwKHXq_D-AQ9QEISDAQ#imgrc=1u4C-lB-hdsAsM:'] upload_2017-10-29_12-31-1.jpeg [/URL]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back