Toast EF: Collingwood by a point.

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing that is clear from Bucks - this team is definitely in flag mode! Have been all year. I'd argue the whole squad and club ever since the GF have a belief they can win it.

If we play to potential and things go our way, we can definitely. (Sat night was not our ceiling by the way)

A win like that against all adversity will only enhance that belief. As I'm sure you all will stay tuned, this has a 1980 feel about it, from 5th (last spot in finals) to GF and maybe a step further this time.

You have GOT TO be kidding me.

You declared that we couldn't win the flag four months ago.

You said we were a bottom six side when we were in the top six.

You are unbelievable.

P.S. THIS is the 'good bit'. I told you it was coming and you scoffed. And even if we don't win the whole thing, it will still have been good and I will still have enjoyed it. Whereas if we are a goal short in the grand final you will declare the whole thing a huge pile of failure, right?

You have GOT TO be kidding me.

You declared that we couldn't win the flag four months ago.

You said we were a bottom six side when we were in the top six.

You are unbelievable.

P.S. THIS is the 'good bit'. I told you it was coming and you scoffed. And even if we don't win the whole thing, it will still have been good and I will still have enjoyed it. Whereas if we are a goal short in the grand final you will declare the whole thing a huge pile of failure, right?

Wrong Ingy, I've stated we couldn't win the flag - not the club. Re read my posts over the whole season I haven't wavered.

I've always always stated we can't win it IF we continued playing the way we have during the course of the season. Not because the group does not have the potential - the group does. Never stated the group does not.

I've always stated the club was / is and should be in flag mode - they have been ever since the GF.

I've always alluded the group was playing like a bottom 6 side, never said it was the potential.

You're confusing what my opinion is as the same as what the club thinks.

I've always stated GF losses are failures that the club use as a learning to the ultimate success.

Yours, mine and everyone elses opinion on here does not matter, what the clubs mind set is is all that matters.

If you're so keen to 'gotcha' me - link a post where I stated that the club were of the mind set that they can't win it.

Wrong Ingy, I've stated we couldn't win the flag - not the club. Re read my posts over the whole season I haven't wavered.

I've always always stated we can't win it IF we continued playing the way we have during the course of the season. Not because the group does not have the potential - the group does. Never stated the group does not.

I've always stated the club was / is and should be in flag mode - they have been ever since the GF.

I've always alluded the group was playing like a bottom 6 side, never said it was the potential.

I've always stated GF losses are failures that the club use as a learning to the ultimate success.

Yours, mine and everyone elses opinion on here does not matter, what the clubs mind set is is all that matters.

If you're so keen to 'gotcha' me - link a post where I stated that the club were of the mind set that they can't win it.
I didn’t really read any of anything tbh. But I am curious, in your first sentence do you refer to us as posters? Haha

Nah, I've figured out who you are - we have sparred before, a long time ago in another corner of the internet.

I'm gonna use the ignore button this time

We won this game because even our poorer players on the night found a way to contribute. 3 players in particular i want to highlight:

1. Jayden Stephenson - That effort in the last quarter where he came back to spoil was fantastic. I think it was Ah Chee on the boundary who looked in and spotted a player 30 metres out directly in front. Stephenson came out of no where for the spoil and saved a certain goal. That's exactly what a wingmen needs to do...get deep into defence. Huge effort

2. Brodie Grundy - The ragdoll tackle on Darling was huge. It was at that moment when I knew we wouldn't be going away in this game. It was a big effort from a guy clearly labouring to bring down one of the strongest players on the ground. His big clunks in the last quarter were huge too.

3. Josh Thomas - His effort in the last quarter to win the ball on the flank against 2 players, stand up in a tackle and get his hands free and the find Mihocek was what led to one of the greatest finals goals you'll ever see. I'll show that goal to grandchildren, and it doesn't happen without Josh Thomas' effort. Also, Grundy took a huge clunk down the line before that. Two efforts from our quieter players on the night.

We will win a lot of games when you get those efforts. We've had too many passengers this year. Guys like Thomas and Stephenson have been unsighted in games, and haven't found any ways to contribute. However, they each found a way on the weekend. When the margin in only 1 point...those little efforts are the difference between winning and losing
Agreed. What interests me is that you got 20 likes, but TD somehow managed to give you a thumbs down. It's a mystery to me what he found so objectionable in your post that caused such a negative reaction.

Agreed. What interests me is that you got 20 likes, but TD somehow managed to give you a thumbs down. It's a mystery to me what he found so objectionable in your post that caused such a negative reaction.

I think he read my post as saying that those 3 players had poor games.

I was merely saying that they were down on their absolute best and have all copped a fair bit of criticism of late, yet stood up at crucial moments.

The other point was we had no passengers and every single player performed their role. Whether it was Greenwoods tag on Kelly, Camerons work on NicNat or behind the ball, WHEs link up work etc...everyone found a way to contribute. That has been lacking bad this year as we have had a lot of passengers.

The 3 examples I pointed out were the ones that stood out to me.

I think he read my post as saying that those 3 players had poor games.

I was merely saying that they were down on their absolute best and have all copped a fair bit of criticism of late, yet stood up at crucial moments.

The other point was we had no passengers and every single player performed their role. Whether it was Greenwoods tag on Kelly, Camerons work on NicNat or behind the ball, WHEs link up work etc...everyone found a way to contribute. That has been lacking bad this year as we have had a lot of passengers.

The 3 examples I pointed out were the ones that stood out to me.
It was a game in which it was difficult to pick poor players. That Grundy was down on form was obvious from the coaches both voting Nic Nat best on ground. There were several players who had ordinary games but who contributed in important moments. I don't believe our team was as talented or skilled as WC and expected us to lose, but somehow the players hung in and won. Apart from a couple of stand out players, the contribution was generally very even from the majority of the group. We had several players, like Mihochek and Cox, who had a dominant quarter. I would imagine other posters might pick 3 different poorer players. I can't recall a better team performance.

It was a game in which it was difficult to pick poor players. That Grundy was down on form was obvious from the coaches both voting Nic Nat best on ground. There were several players who had ordinary games but who contributed in important moments. I don't believe our team was as talented or skilled as WC and expected us to lose, but somehow the players hung in and won. We had several players, like Mihochek and Cox, who had a dominant quarter. I would imagine other posters might pick 3 different poorer players. Apart from a couple of stand out players, the contribution was generally very even from the majority of the group. I can't recall a better team performance.
Yes we agree on this one.
Superior TEAM beat superior TALENTED INDIVIDUALS.
Often happens in finals.
Desire and courage come to the fore.
The team that is prepared to kill themselves running longer and harder than their opponents often prevail.

Us as posters? In my first sentence? Not sure what you're getting at.
Not looking for a ‘gotchya’ moment here, just genuinely curious.

Not too long ago you and I had a discussion where you were advocating for us to manage players, put those who needed it out for season ending surgery etc - perhaps getting a better draft pick as a result. I think the rationale was that we were nowhere near it this year, so we’d be better off getting games into kids.

Do you still think this? Or would you prefer we went all in to do our best to win a flag?

Again, not looking to stitch you up, genuinely interested to see if our performance against the Eagles has convinced you otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought that Quaynor was probably the one player who looked a bit out of his depth. His positioning was not great - his opponent enjoyed too much space. As a result he didn't get much of the ball nor get much chance to get his attacking game going. I have watched the game twice and didn't focus on him in the second viewing. If I read his game wrong, I am happy to be corrected.

I thought that Quaynor was probably the one player who looked a bit out of his depth. His positioning was not great - his opponent enjoyed too much space. As a result he didn't get much of the ball nor get much chance to get his attacking game going. I have watched the game twice and didn't focus on him in the second viewing. If I read his game wrong, I am happy to be corrected.
I think greatest Grundy that he really struggled at first but gradually began to find his feet. I really think our defence was under immense pressure for a lot of the match because of NN's dominance. When he got the swift clearance it was tough for them and so affected IQ of course.

Not looking for a ‘gotchya’ moment here, just genuinely curious.

Not too long ago you and I had a discussion where you were advocating for us to manage players, put those who needed it out for season ending surgery etc - perhaps getting a better draft pick as a result. I think the rationale was that we were nowhere near it this year, so we’d be better off getting games into kids.

Do you still think this? Or would you prefer we went all in to do our best to win a flag?

Again, not looking to stitch you up, genuinely interested to see if our performance against the Eagles has convinced you otherwise.

Why is that surprising given the way we were playing? Only the most blindly optimistic of fans would believe we could win the flag playing that way.

Have I not suggested that our potential is high enough to win it? Even before our discussion? Yes, yes I have, repeatedly.

Why wouldn't be convinced we should go all in, seeing how the playing group played the way they're supposed to?

Not so much you but a lot of posters on here view my discussions on managing players, or our poor form etc. as 'we can't win it no matter what'.

Well if we play like sh1t we're not winning, continue to play like we should then we're every chance.

Last edited:
Why is that surprising given the way we were playing? Only the most blindly optimistic of fans would believe we could win the flag that way.

Have I not suggested that our potential is high enough to win it? Even before our discussion? Yes, yes I have
I didn't say it was surprising, and yes, you've said our potential is good enough before.

But you didn't really answer my question. I was more interested about your take on our form against the Eagles, and if you think its on the right trajectory now to be in with a genuine shot at the flag?

I think greatest Grundy that he really struggled at first but gradually began to find his feet. I really think our defence was under immense pressure for a lot of the match because of NN's dominance. When he got the swift clearance it was tough for them and so affected IQ of course.
I have noticed the same problem of allowing his opponent too much latitude crop up in some of his earlier games. He looks great with ball in hand running through defense, but I am not so sure of his man on man ability at this stage. I wish I had taken more notice of his last quarter when our defense seemed to be man on man rather than set up in zones. I guess I could watch it again. That shouldn't be too onerous a task.

I didn't say it was surprising, and yes, you've said our potential is good enough before.

But you didn't really answer my question. I was more interested about your take on our form against the Eagles, and if you think its on the right trajectory now to be in with a genuine shot at the flag?

What I said in the post you replied to.

Why wouldn't I be convinced we should go all in, seeing how the playing group played the way they're supposed to?

To answer your question, there is no doubt that the form displayed is on the right trajectory now to be with in a genuine shot at the flag. IMHO.

What I said in the post you replied to.

Why wouldn't I be convinced we should go all in, seeing how the playing group played the way they're supposed to?

To answer your question, there is no doubt that the form displayed is on the right trajectory now to be with in a genuine shot at the flag. IMHO.
Good thing we didn’t give up on the season way back when then hey?

Just yanking your chain Carringbush. It comes from a place of genuine excitement from seeing us play a free flowing game again, and just in the nick of time!

If we keep this up and build on it, we can go all the way IMO.

Jealous you got to see the EF live, must have been an absolute belter in the flesh.

Good thing we didn’t give up on the season way back when then hey?

Just yanking your chain Carringbush. It comes from a place of genuine excitement from seeing us play a free flowing game again, and just in the nick of time!

If we keep this up and build on it, we can go all the way IMO.

Jealous you got to see the EF live, must have been an absolute belter in the flesh.

In all seriousness whether you or I give up on the season means zero to what actually happens, I've always maintained that as well.

Yes it was a belter! And of course we can go all the way IF we continue form. That's obvious.

In all seriousness whether you or I give up on the season means zero to what actually happens, I've always maintained that as well.

Yes it was a belter! And of course we can go all the way IF we continue form. That's obvious.
I doubt anyone on here would contend that their opinion somehow influences how the season plays out.

Fingers crossed we keep taking the game on, it’s what will get us there. The play on percentage specifically in the forward half was the big statistical shift.

I doubt anyone on here would contend that their opinion somehow influences how the season plays out.

Fingers crossed we keep taking the game on, it’s what will get us there. The play on percentage specifically in the forward half was the big statistical shift.

Oh I'm sure there's many on here, I've been called the ultimate pessimist to a false account infiltrating the Pies board.

Some are very reactive to my observations, you might even call them superstitious on how they react to them.

I did state that we'd require a visual game and form shift to win this game - unlikely as it was we got it.

Oh I'm sure there's many on here, I've been called the ultimate pessimist to a false account infiltrating the Pies board.

Some are very reactive to my observations, you might even call them superstitious on how they react to them.

I did state that we'd require a visual game and form shift to win this game - unlikely as it was we got it.
If you were the ultimate pessimist you wouldn’t be rating us a chance now as you do.

If you were an infiltrator you’d be an astonishingly committed one, and the natural justice of you being such a sad case would abdicate the need for calling out.

From where I sit you appear to definitely verge towards pessimism, but I’m sure you see yourself as a realist. And given I’m an unabashed optimist, it would appear that way to me, wouldn’t it? All these things being subjective, there is no objective measure of what’s what anyway.

What’s good about this forum though is the diversity of opinion, and I’m always happy to hear views I disagree with. We all spend time here cause we’re massive Pies fans and all bring something different to the table.

If you were the ultimate pessimist you wouldn’t be rating us a chance now as you do.

If you were an infiltrator you’d be an astonishingly committed one, and the natural justice of you being such a sad case would abdicate the need for calling out.

From where I sit you appear to definitely verge towards pessimism, but I’m sure you see yourself as a realist. And given I’m an unabashed optimist, it would appear that way to me, wouldn’t it? All these things being subjective, there is no objective measure of what’s what anyway.

What’s good about this forum though is the diversity of opinion, and I’m always happy to hear views I disagree with. We all spend time here cause we’re massive Pies fans and all bring something different to the table.

Well I'm glad you get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back