Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had thought, why not make a play for Matthew Flynn from the Giants? I know he was only drafted last year but could a be a really astute get as a ruck/fwd assuming we get rid of McKernan (which I hope we do). He was taken at Pick 41 so doubtful he'd cost more than our 3rd at most. Or alternatively if Hibberd did go to the Dees we could and we got their 2nd rounders for the next 2 years, we could package those up with #37 and do something like the following (I've sort of broken this down into two parts btw):
ESS out/GWS in: [Pick 26 (via MEL) + Pick 37 (1212 points)] + 2017 2nd rounder (via MEL).
GWS out/ESS in: Pick 15 (1112 points) + Flynn + 1 of Steele/Tomlinson/Downie/Barrett/Stewart?.

Gives us 3 top 20 picks to take say McLuggage, Battle and Clarke, then fill needs and upgrade Walla & possibly Hams with the later picks.

The difficult thing is that Flynn is obviously still under contract, but assuming Downie stayed Flynn would likely be behind him and all of Mumford, Lobb, Simpson and Patton (who occasionally pinch hits), which would make Flynn the 6th in line at GWS, whereas with us he'd be 3rd or 4th in line assuming Woosha continues his policy of not wanting to expose Daniher in the ruck. Sort of a win-win, they trim their list down and gain a few extra points for their academy kids, and we get another 1st rounder and a talented ruck/fwd and possibly a little extra.

Anthony Miles is OOC. Would be handy depth in the psd

Yeah would probably take a trade to land him, even then he isn't the guy you would want as best 22 due to his disposal but is as tough as they come.

Tigers would want a 2nd rounder but isn't worth that at all. Better option than Green in the psd

Anthony Miles is OOC. Would be handy depth in the psd

Yeah would probably take a trade to land him, even then he isn't the guy you would want as best 22 due to his disposal but is as tough as they come.

Tigers would want a 2nd rounder but isn't worth that at all. Better option than Green in the psd
I don't think giving up a 2nd round pick for someone earmarked as depth is great list management. I agree that if we like the look of him the PSD is the better option

So I had thought, why not make a play for Matthew Flynn from the Giants? I know he was only drafted last year but could a be a really astute get as a ruck/fwd assuming we get rid of McKernan (which I hope we do). He was taken at Pick 41 so doubtful he'd cost more than our 3rd at most. Or alternatively if Hibberd did go to the Dees we could and we got their 2nd rounders for the next 2 years, we could package those up with #37 and do something like the following (I've sort of broken this down into two parts btw):
ESS out/GWS in: [Pick 26 (via MEL) + Pick 37 (1212 points)] + 2017 2nd rounder (via MEL).
GWS out/ESS in: Pick 15 (1112 points) + Flynn + 1 of Steele/Tomlinson/Downie/Barrett/Stewart?.

Gives us 3 top 20 picks to take say McLuggage, Battle and Clarke, then fill needs and upgrade Walla & possibly Hams with the later picks.

The difficult thing is that Flynn is obviously still under contract, but assuming Downie stayed Flynn would likely be behind him and all of Mumford, Lobb, Simpson and Patton (who occasionally pinch hits), which would make Flynn the 6th in line at GWS, whereas with us he'd be 3rd or 4th in line assuming Woosha continues his policy of not wanting to expose Daniher in the ruck. Sort of a win-win, they trim their list down and gain a few extra points for their academy kids, and we get another 1st rounder and a talented ruck/fwd and possibly a little extra.

Talk that Downie will likely be traded/delisted. Just grab him for peanuts instead?

don patch sword ant555 Jack Package
What is stopping a guy like Jordan Gallucci, William Drew, Dylan Clarke, Joe Atley from going inside the first 15?

A lot of the draft guys have them anywhere between 19 - 40 but all seem terrific value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds

Very strong midfield draft with a lot of them performing better.

Is the gap really that big between Brodie and those aforementioned guys or could be grab McCluggage and take an inside mid at our second? or is a Kerr, Battle on top of Brodie a better way to go ?

The gap is not huge. Personally i would go McLuggage and ease him over the first year. Hope Kerr is there second round and then go another mid third round.

I wouldn't give up a top ten pick for Prestia - Its up to the tigers to sort out a deal.
He's comfortably among the better players taken at pick 9, with his development years sorted, coming into his prime, and yet isn't worth a top 10 pick? The only thing that would diminish his value is if this current injury proves chronic.

Last edited:
Tim Watson on SEN this morning hinted (reading between the lines) that Essendon may be after O'Meara... Essendon is willing to trade multiple early draft picks as a trade for #1.

Maybe #1 and #19 +37 (+ 55) to Gold Coast

O'Meara (high risk high reward) and 4+9 to Essendon

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Watson on SEN this morning hinted (reading between the lines) that Essendon may be after O'Meara... Essendon is willing to trade multiple early draft picks as a trade for #1.

I'd be happy with that deal.

I don't understand this. O'Meara was a highly touted junior with virtually no exposed AFL form with a horrific (and possibly career-threatening) injury record. McLuggage is a highly touted juniour with no exposed AFL form *without* a horrific injury record. So why on earth would we consider O'Meara over him?

I don't have a problem with getting multiple picks from trading pick 1 if Dodoro believes that there is sufficient talent outside the top 5 but if we are going to give up pick 1 in favour of an older player and a downgrading of picks than it should be for someone who will make our current team better (not saying a star but has to be in the top ten players in our list).

I don't understand this. O'Meara was a highly touted junior with virtually no exposed AFL form with a horrific (and possibly career-threatening) injury record. McLuggage is a highly touted juniour with no exposed AFL form *without* a horrific injury record. So why on earth would we consider O'Meara over him?

I don't have a problem with getting multiple picks from trading pick 1 if Dodoro believes that there is sufficient talent outside the top 5 but if we are going to give up pick 1 in favour of an older player and a downgrading of picks than it should be for someone who will make our current team better (not saying a star but has to be in the top ten players in our list).
True... O'Meara is a BIG risk. Eade is demanding 2 Top 10 picks. This is way overs given that he has had multiple attempts to come back and has broken down each time.

I know that Tim Watson rates him as potentially the best player in the competition.

But I have seen others rate McLuggage as a potential Chris Judd (gets lots of possessions (30+) game in game out on the burst and kicks goals).

Other clubs are trying to work out how they can get #1 off us to get McLuggage. They have no interest in (Gumbelton) O'Meara.

The upside of O'Meara is that he has immense talent. The downside is the horrific injury record. He would be the biggest gamble going around.

We should not be offering our #1 for him in any way.

Ideally requires a deal where there is a dependency on him playing n games and they get next years 1st draft pick + a sweetener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back