Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk III - 1 McClug, 1 Billings (AND ROSS) for 4th rounder get it done dodoro

Who should we take with pick 1?

• Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 202 59.6%
  • Will Brodie

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • SPS

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • Rhys Mathieson

Votes: 30 8.8%
  • Jack Billings

Votes: 22 6.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • A well pickled ham

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • A bag of mouldy spuds

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • A rancid orange

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • A floury apple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • An over mushy pear

• A rock hard mandarin

• A braised brussel sprout

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for selling our 2017 picks for high end picks this year, Let's set our midfield up for the next decade.

We will play finals nezt year if we get luck with Injuries.
You know next years draft is stacked with tall forwards yeah? And that that's exactly what we're lacking?

We'd be daft to trade next year's 1st at any rate, if anything I'd be looking to add more 2017 1st rounders.

You know next years draft is stacked with tall forwards yeah? And that that's exactly what we're lacking?

We'd be daft to trade next year's 1st at any rate, if anything I'd be looking to add more 2017 1st rounders.
agree
Keep our first. Get a 2nd from Melbourne for Hibberd. Trade them into this draft.
Our 2017 1st should land us the partner to JD we need

Next years key forward depth is looking very good
Yup.

agree
Keep our first. Get a 2nd from Melbourne for Hibberd. Trade them into this draft.
Our 2017 1st should land us the partner to JD we need
Reckon we should try and get one of Patton/Lobb this year and get a key forward next year. The top teams usually have 4+ KPF's to choose from, right now we've got 1.

Yup.

Reckon we should try and get one of Patton/Lobb this year and get a key forward next year. The top teams usually have 4+ KPF's to choose from, right now we've got 1.
we missed any chance on Lobb and i can't see Patton leaving GWS.

We have options.
Brown, Ambrose & Hooker are tall defenders who can play forward
Bellchambers needs a roll and Patton-esque monster forward may be it. He moves as quick with the same agility.

Also, the Dogs showed what a small forward line with manic pressure can do.
If it works next week, I'm less concerned about getting a key forward with Pick 1.
Gotta build our depth.

Pick 1, Hibberd & next years second into 3x top 10 mids in this draft (plus Berry, Battle, Kerr @ 19 and Sproule @ 37)
2017 1st - find Joey's partner and go the best tall.

we missed any chance on Lobb and i can't see Patton leaving GWS.

We have options.
Brown, Ambrose & Hooker are tall defenders who can play forward
Bellchambers needs a roll and Patton-esque monster forward may be it. He moves as quick with the same agility.

Also, the Dogs showed what a small forward line with manic pressure can do.
If it works next week, I'm less concerned about getting a key forward with Pick 1.
Gotta build our depth.

Pick 1, Hibberd & next years second into 3x top 10 mids in this draft (plus Berry, Battle, Kerr @ 19 and Sproule @ 37)
2017 1st - find Joey's partner and go the best tall.
I hope you're wrong with regards to Patton/Lobb. Absolutely fed up of us trying to play defenders as forwards, if Bellchambers actually stays fit he could in theory play as a stay-at-home full-forward and give Leuey a chop out in the ruck, with Francis as the 3rd tall, but I don't have much confidence in Bellchambers ability to stay fit the fact that he's only played 16 games or more twice in his career is pretty damning.

I also think Woosha prefers have two talls and not just one with mid-sized and smalls around him. Anyways regardless of what happens, we need to get help for Joe sooner rather than later.

I'm drifting away from the key forwards are necessary to succeed ideology.

Daniher Francis Hooker Bellcho Brown even Laverde Langford and Redman can play tall.

Fact is midfields win finals and premierships, Daniher is enough all we need to do is support him and those support players are already on the list.

Load up on 3 quality mids and we're laughing.

Daniher Francis Hooker Bellcho Brown even Laverde Langford and Redman can play tall.

Fact is midfields win finals and premierships, Daniher is enough all we need to do is support him and those support players are already on the list.

And if he goes down then what? We'll be stuck with a bloke playing out of position in an attempt to cover the loss. We've got a tonne of midfielders/midfield capable players, if we keep going down that road and ignoring the need for key position players (in our case up forward) we'll end up like Carlton or worse (though unlikely) Brisbane.

Still need one more quality tall IMO, obviously need a good midfield to pump it into them nice and quick to maximise the forwards strength, granted, but history suggests you need at least 2 quality key forwards to win the big one.

And if he goes down then what? We'll be stuck with a bloke playing out of position in an attempt to cover the loss. We've got a tonne of midfielders/midfield capable players, if we keep going down that road and ignoring the need for key position players (in our case up forward) we'll end up like Carlton or worse (though unlikely) Brisbane.
Good point about what happens when Joe goes down was exactly my thinking we need more forward simple as that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree. Mainly that you don't need a top 10 draft pick forward to win them.
GWS had Cameron, Lobb and Patton. Most teams would give up high picks for any of them, but the reality is last nights game was a midfield arm wrestle and a display of both pace and speed of ball movement.

I would look for a VFL/SANFL key forward to support Daniher.
Reilly O'Brien, Brett Eddy or even Harry Dear, who i think could be the FF version of Hartley for us.

I would love Lobb (batted on about him all off-season last year) or Patton. I don't think we get either though.

How many key forwards does it take for a draft to be full of them.? Because if we finish top 10 I reckon the they'll all be gone.

How many key forwards does it take for a draft to be full of them.? Because if we finish top 10 I reckon the they'll all be gone.
The one's I've heard/read about are:
- Sam Hayes.
- Darcy Fogarty.
- Callum Coleman-Jones.
- Jarrod Brander (currently tied to the GWS academy, they may lose access).
- Connor Ballenden (tied to Brisbane academy).
- Tom DeKoning.

No doubt there'll be a few more that pop up next year. Reckon at least one of them would be available in the Pick 6-14 range.

Good point about what happens when Joe goes down was exactly my thinking we need more forward simple as that
Dogs lost Redpath, then Boyd for a bit, and Stringer, lets face it, has been terrible this year.
they did ok with a small forward line.
Clay Smith was their best forward these finals
I'd take Melbourne's 1st in 2017 for Hibberd... but I don't think Melbourne would...
2nd will do. Pair it with ours to GCS for 8.
Major question is where do GCS anticipate Bowes being bid on. They are at risk of losing 4 or 8 on him, so trading those top 10 picks away may be on the cards for them

Only thing I can remember letting him down at AFL level was the lack of disposals, his disposal seemed fine to me

Steele's kicking is problematic - It may improve over time but its far from a weapon.

I'm curious if the lack of KPFs in top teams is as a result of not needing them (i.e. by choice), or because they haven't had access to them in recent drafts while their previous KPPs have retired (no choice).

Anyone feel like doing a list of KPFs by team, their draft year/pick number (and if they were academy/father-son)?

If Melbourne give up pick 26, will they be happy to enter this draft at pick 45 or so? I personally don't think so. They just might get a bit silly. You know what, Connors comments may very well have been directed at Melbourne. Not us!

That's my point - There is a growing issue when clubs want players when they don't have draft picks available - Melbourne,StKilda and Hawthorn are falling into this category at the moment.

That's my point - There is a growing issue when clubs want players when they don't have draft picks available - Melbourne,StKilda and Hawthorn are falling into this category at the moment.
Collingwood the worst of the bunch. Linking themselves to everyone and have no currency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back