Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Link

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg says next year's Magic Round of the Telstra Premiership, to be played at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium, is one of several innovations the game is looking at to keep developing rugby league at the top level.

The NRL announced on Sunday that the Magic Round is scheduled for round 10 in May of next season and will feature all 16 clubs playing from Friday night to Sunday.

The concept has been devised through a partnership with the Queensland Government and Brisbane City Council and aims to inject $60 million and 300,000 nights of tourist accommodation into greater Brisbane.

How is this good? 7 teams to loose a home game. Brisbane gets more than its fair share of RL. Hope the NRL got some good cash off the Queensland Government.

Will the pitch hold up?

Dumb.

How is this good? 7 teams to loose a home game. Brisbane gets more than its fair share of RL. Hope the NRL got some good cash off the Queensland Government.

Will the pitch hold up?

Dumb.
Great idea! I’ll be driving the 100mins down the hill to watch plenty of games.

Not fan. Just hope that 7 clubs who are having their home games transferred to Brisbane reduce their membership charges accordingly next year.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

As I've said before it (sorta) makes sense in England, where the clubs are quite close together, even though plenty, including me, are not keen on it, but it won't do much for fans in Australia apart from a lucky few. In England the game needs the high-profile event; the NRL doesn't.

So they went with 4 days of Footy. Not sure how many will turn up on Thursday for the Titans Sharks.

Broncos arnt one of the home teams. Makes no sense. Either are the Cowboys.

Just hoping there is no rain on the weekend or even for the lead up.

So they went with 4 days of Footy. Not sure how many will turn up on Thursday for the Titans Sharks.

Broncos are the last club that need to flog a home game. How would their season ticket holders be accommodated?

Of course they aren't, the whole point is to give Brisbane a leg up by another away game at home, they will rival Collingwood and Richmond for home games yet they are in a 1 team city!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Week out from magic round, what are people thoughts on this still? I'm not sold on the idea but it is here and hopefully goes really well.

I have heard that ticket sales have been strong which is good. They have also announced bands to play to add to the atmosphere.

Reds played last night at Suncorp. Rain around Brisbane today, but is looking sunny for the next ten days. Fingers crossed.

I hope it is a massive flop with some long term ramifications.

******* stupid idea, highlighted by the fact that there are QLD teams playing away games there.

It would've been whichever 8 clubs needed/wanted to flog a home game. Broncos are the last club who'd do that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back