Resource Election pledges and other funding commitments

Remove this Banner Ad

In the 2019 crowds and ratings thread Hawkk made me aware that Labor have pledged $20m for the Kennedy Centre at Dingley.

It got me thinking that since last year there has been a lot pledged and some actually committed via MYEFO last year and the Budget this year a few weeks back, that I will make a list of what I know. If others know of their clubs getting election pledges then you can stick the info in here.

* Labor pledges $5m to Port's Aboriginal Centre of Excellence, a community project that state Labor committed $8m to if they won in March 2018. Project has received another $4m in 2017 from the feds and total project is $18m. There is another $17m of football precinct development that state labor pledged about $2m of that $8m last year with the balance for the Aboriginal Centre of Excellence
https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/n...commitment-to-aboriginal-centre-of-excellence

* Liberals pledge $15m to crows moving to North Adelaide Aquatics Centre - a $60m project.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...e/news-story/6c7268223137fc81c76af56bf488c3c6

Labor matched that a couple of days ago
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news...e/news-story/025ac2125f8eeff8d3ebe8d505b2a256

* Labor pledged $20m to $130m Hawks Kennedy Community Centre at Dingley
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ng-if-labor-win-election-20190508-p51l60.html

* Labor last October pledged $25m to help get Tassie ready for an AFL, funding some ground improvements but help with pathways re VFL team, U/18 team and women's team in the lead up to a licence.
https://www.sportsradio.com.au/ill-...en-pledges-25-million-for-tasmanian-afl-team/

Liberals the other day said they wont match it

* Labor pledges $20m to Kardinia Park $140m Stage 5 upgrade where Labor state government has pledged $102m
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ba-stadium-redevelopment-20190515-p51nkj.html

Liberals between October Swans announcement and MYEFO in December 2018 committed $15m to a $65m centre at Moore Park next to SCG to house Sydney Swans Academy, the NSW Swifts Netball Club and the future Sydney Swans AFL Women’s Team. A cafe, museum, event and recreation space will be for public use. The Clontarf Foundation and GO Foundation, for Indigenous education, and an Australian Red Cross Blood Service donation centre
Original announcement in SMH + AFL website
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/hordern-pavilion-sydney-swans-royal-hall-20181004-p507oz.html
and
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-05/swans-sign-deal-to-build-new-hq-near-scg

And after Easter, the government re announces it for extra publicity and photo opportunities
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-boost-for-women-s-sport-20190423-p51glx.html

April's Budget confirming 4 x $15m grants to Cowboys in Townsville, Brisabne Lions, Carlton and Richmond community related and women's footy projects.

From page 126, Part 2 Expenditure Measures - Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities of Budget Paper No. 2;

https://www.budget.gov.au/2019-20/content/bp2/download/bp2.pdf

1557986820485.png

Think the Feds (Julie Bishop) nailed money for the Eagles new facility at Lathlain.
Will house Wirra's Foundation :thumbsu:

Good use of taxpayers money NO.
Both WA clubs got $10 mill from feds + $10 mill from state governments = $20 mill each, a few years ago for their recently completed facilities. Both have big community components to get the $$$.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Both WA clubs got $10 mill from feds + $10 mill from state governments = $20 mill each, a few years ago for their recently completed facilities. Both have big community components to get the $$$.

Has anyone ever tested the community component. hang on Simmo, my kids are using that ....

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I thought if labour won it would seriously get the ball rolling on a Tasmanian AFL team, can’t see much happening in the next three years now
Maybe. I am aware of Shorten's $25,000,000 pledge to assist in the establishment of a Tas. AFL team.
Politically, it is possible Tasmania has become more important (as do other marginal seat areas). For political "favours" & generous govt. handouts, the worst place to be is in a safe seat.

Also, Tasmania has TWELVE Senators. The Senate is crucial to pass legislation, & both the LNP & ALP know it is extremely unlikely they will ever get a majority in the Senate (In the Lower House in 2019, only c. 75% voted for either LNP or the ALP- & lower in the Senate).

Tasmania has much political clout- because it has swing Lower House & Senate seats, & we just had a very close Federal election (2 seat majority in Lower House to LNP?).
The LNP, after winning the "unwinnable election" by a very narrow margin, will want to shore up its support for the next election- providing $25,000,000 Federal money is "chickenfeed" cf. total Federal revenues. It will financially support the new Tas. team.

The AFL realises it is essential to the long term health of the AFL to restore the legendary VFL/AFL recruitment goldmine from Tasmania _ & that Tas. has been grossly neglected.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Maybe. I am aware of Shorten's $25,000,000 pledge to assist in the establishment of a Tas. AFL team.

and the ALP lost TWO of their 3 seats in Tasmania at this election. Clearly the Tasmanian people voted against this pledge or didn't think it was important enough of an issue to make them keep their vote with the ALP. Its a non issue election wise now. Holding on to it makes you look foolish.

Also, Tasmania has TWELVE Senators. The Senate is crucial to pass legislation, & both the LNP & ALP know it is extremely unlikely they will ever get a majority in the Senate (In the Lower House in 2019, only c. 75% voted for either LNP or the ALP- & lower in the Senate).

THE. SENATE. DOESN'T. WORK. LIKE. THAT.

Tasmania has much political clout- because it has swing Lower House & Senate seats, & we just had a very close Federal election (2 seat majority in Lower House to LNP?).

Yeah and the LNP had swings to them and won seats in other States as well. Tasmania isn't special because they want an AFL team in that regard.

The LNP, after winning the "unwinnable election" by a very narrow margin, will want to shore up its support for the next election- providing $25,000,000 Federal money is "chickenfeed" cf. total Federal revenues. It will financially support the new Tas. team.

and yet they were able to win Tasmanian seats without needing to offer money to fund an AFL side. They aren't under any obligation to support a policy that was roundly rejected by the Tasmanian public on Saturday, so to say THEY WILL support a new team in the manner promised by the ALP is stuff of fantasy.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Clearly[?] the Tasmanian people voted against this pledge [I disagree, other reasons most likely for LNP vote. Most Tasmanians would welcome $25,000,000 Federal funds to help with the establishment costs of a new Tas. club]...THE. SENATE. DOESN'T. WORK. LIKE. THAT.
I am aware, of course, that MHR's & Senators usually vote along their own party lines- but not always. Support for their own AFL team has virtually unanimous support of all Tasmanian elected politicians (& probably those who want to be elected from Tas.!).

The Federal LNP in Victoria boasted it would provide funding for a fast train to benefit the very marginal Federal Corangamite Surf Coast seat: Federal cost c. $1 billion+.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-22/fast-rail-train-service-pledge-for-geelong/10927982

I think if the next election again appears to be very close, the Federal LNP would provide one-off funding to establish a new Tas. team.

Following Caroline Wilson's recent The Age article, & other comments- including the link below- it appears the AFL is strongly encouraging the Tas. govt. to pursue its own, new AFL team; & to meet certain objectives first, in order to satisfy the AFL that it would be self sufficient.

AFL Tasmania Chairman J.Wilkinson said on 15.5.19 (when asked if Tas. will ever have its own team)

"My personal view is yes...I really believe it is a matter of when, not if...if the AFL give us an invitation to play in Tasmania by 2023 to 2025, that would create the spark to get more people playing the game...".

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/hobart/programs/breakfast/footy-revival-in-tasmania/11114396

It can be inferred, from the recent comments of G. McLachlan, J. Wilkinson & others, that Tasmania might be able to obtain the funds to make its own team financially viable ie AFL would only be required to make the normal distributions that other small, heartland Clubs receive.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
I am aware, of course, that MHR's & Senators usually vote along their own party lines- but not always. Support for their own AFL team has virtually unanimous support of all Tasmanian elected politicians (& probably those who want to be elected from Tas.!).

Name a single time an entire block of MP's and Senators from one state voted against party lines on an issue to further their state? Why would such a measure be taken and how would they obtain an AFL licence when the Parliament can't force the AFL to do so? How can a group of 17 people outvote any of the other states with more representatives or those states as a block? You can't, haven't and won't.

The Federal LNP in Victoria boasted it would provide funding for a fast train to benefit the very marginal Federal Corangamite Surf Coast seat: Federal cost c. $1 billion+.

Surely you are aware that there were plenty of promises made by both sides in plenty of marginal seats? The LNP now gets to deliver on their promises made regardless if they won the seat or not. The ALP's promises are forgotten about.....

I think if the next election again appears to be very close, the Federal LNP would provide one-off funding to establish a new Tas. team.

You can think that. I chose to think that they won't as they didn't promise it this time and could spend the $25 million in far better ways straight away with direct results. Shorten's promise was never going to be delivered this term as it was conditional on Tasmania receiving its licence and that could be 2 elections from now at the earliest. Why hold on to something so unimportant? Talk to the feds when Tassie gets their licence, not "we'll fund you on condition you get it". You fell for Shorten, hook, line and sinker.

It can be inferred, from the recent comments of G. McLachlan, J. Wilkinson & others, that Tasmania might be able to obtain the funds to make its own team financially viable ie AFL would only be required to make the normal distributions that other small, heartland Clubs receive.

You infer a lot of thing, not all of them correct. But I would think the AFL would like to see how Tasmania proposes to fund itself year to year via membership, ticketing and sponsorship on top of the normal AFL club distribution. Needing to rely on one-off government grants isn't viable and would be better served directed toward upgrading stadia to increase capacity for membership and ticketing income or towards club facilities.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Name a single time an entire block of MP's and Senators from one state voted against party lines on an issue to further their state?[Straw Man argument- I never said this, ridiculous suggestion] ...How can a group of 17 people outvote any of the other states with more representatives or those states as a block? [Straw Man argument again- I never said this, ridiculous suggestion]
Surely you are aware that there were plenty of promises made by both sides in plenty of marginal seats? [Exactly! Hoping to win the seat!]
You are misrepresenting what I said- & not for the first time.
1. What is the basis for your misrepresentations?

2. Do you believe that a significant majority of Tasmanians want their own AFL team? And would be very happy if a Federal Govt. (either LNP or ALP) agreed to provide $25,000,000 for the establishment costs for their own AFL team?

3. Do you believe that in a future Federal election, where the overall national result & the result in Tasmania were very close & unpredictible, the Federal LNP might promise a significant amount to Tasmania to assist in the establishment cost for their own, new AFL team?

4. The AFL seems to think that Tasmania deserves its own team- do you agree?
5. Do you think Tasmania deserves its own team?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Do you believe that a significant majority of Tasmanians want their own AFL team? And would be very happy if a Federal Govt. (either LNP or ALP) agreed to provide $25,000,000 for the establishment costs for their own AFL team?

I don't think a huge majority want their own team to the point that it's an election issue. If it was the ALP wouldn't of lost 2 seats last weekend and we wouldn't be having this debate. So no I don't think they care or worry about such a promise and I don't think such a promise will be made again.

Do you believe that in a future Federal election, where the overall national result & the result in Tasmania were very close & unpredictible, the Federal LNP might promise a significant amount to Tasmania to assist in the establishment cost for their own, new AFL team?

No.

The AFL seems to think that Tasmania deserves its own team- do you agree?

You seem to think a lot of things. I let you think what you want.

Do you think Tasmania deserves its own team?

Deserve vs economically viable are two different things. If they can't be viable off the park without government funding then do they really deserve a side? Do you agree?

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
I don't think a huge majority want their own team [ to the point that it's an election issue-you added this part]
Can you answer question 1- you ignored it.

Can you answer question 2 about Tasmanians wanting their own team- without your "election" addition to my question?

I disagree with your view that the majority of Tasmanians dont care about a future $25,000,000 Federal grant to help establish a new AFL team. What is the basis of your view?

For your simple answer "No" to question 3, what is the basis of your denial?

Can you answer question 4? Has the AFL indicated support for a Tasmanian team in the AFL, when the next expansion occurs? What have Demetriou & McLachlan said about it?

5. Tasmania, around 2008, had an independent economic expert Report (Saul Eslake etc.) that a Tas. team would be economically viable (attracting both private & state govt. etc. funds) Do you accept the Report said this ?

I think similar good economic support would be provided to a Tas. AFL team if it was applying to join the AFL. Do you agree?

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Can you answer question 2 about Tasmanians wanting their own team- without your "election" addition to my question?

You have my answer. Accept it.

I disagree with your view that the majority of Tasmanians dont care about a future $25,000,000 Federal grant to help establish a new AFL team. What is the basis of your view?

Read what I have already posted. That should explain it

For your simple answer "No" to question 3, what is the basis of your denial?

Per above

Can you answer question 4? Has the AFL indicated support for a Tasmanian team in the AFL, when the next expansion occurs? What have Demetriou & McLachlan said about it?

Again, read my last answer. I don't have to answer to your assumptions. You never answer to anyone else.

5. Tasmania, around 2008, had an independent economic expert Report (Saul Eslake etc.) that a Tas. team would be economically viable (attracting both private & state govt. etc. funds) Do you accept the Report said this ?

Do you accept that its now 2019 and that report is 11 years old and out of date. The world has gone though a financial crisis since then and the AFL has changed as well as Tasmania itself so any assumptions contained within the Eslake report would be useless. A new report is needed

I think similar good economic support would be provided to a Tas. AFL team if it was applying to join the AFL. Do you agree?

Thats not for me to agree. I want to see a case for a Tasmanian side that doesn't rely on government (State or Federal) funding as part of its yearly revenue base. You miss my point entirely and resort to your greatest hits.

Read what I've said, my answers are there

Here are some links to the April Federal budget funds committed before the election, to complement what Wookie posted re Vic and Qld budgets. New monies in bold.

Budget website summary.
https://www.budget.gov.au/2019-20/content/community.htm#sport
Building communities through sport
Promoting a healthier and more active Australia

Upgrading sports infrastructure
The Government will allocate $150 million to remove barriers to participation for women in sport and improve access to community swimming facilities. This will include upgrades to facilities for women at sporting grounds and the development or upgrade of community swimming facilities across Australia.
The Government will also invest $42.5 million in 2018-19 to expand the Community Sport Infrastructure Program to ensure that more Australians have access to local sporting facilities. This builds on the success of the program, which has provided 456 grants for a range of sports, including netball, rugby and gymnastics, and raises our commitment to the Community Sport Infrastructure Program to $100 million.

Improving participation and inclusion within the community
A further $41 million will be provided to extend and expand the Sporting Schools Program until the end of 2020, ensuring students in more than 6,000 primary and secondary schools continue to access free sports-related activities. $12 million will be invested to increase opportunities for women and girls to participate in grassroots tennis.

Supporting athletes to succeed
The Government will provide $54.1 million to create better pathways for athletes to represent the nation.

A further $8 million will assist para-athletes from 16 sports to compete at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.
https://www.budget.gov.au/2019-20/content/community.htm#sport

Sport Australia's summary

https://www.sportaus.gov.au/media_centre/news/sport_australia_welcomes_major_boost_in_sport_funding
Sport Australia Chair John Wylie has welcomed the Australian Government’s $385.4 million package for sport
and physical activity announced in last night’s Federal Budget, declaring it as one of the biggest funding injections for sport in years.

The Federal Budget delivered more than $158 million of new investment directly to Sport Australia and the AIS, helping to fund community participation initiatives through to additional support for Australia’s high performance athletes. An additional $54.1 million will be invested in high performance sport for athlete pathways and wellbeing, while school and community infrastructure programs will be expanded.

“This funding creates incredible opportunity for sport, from children learning to play and be active through to talented athletes representing and inspiring the nation,” Wylie said. “It is one of the biggest funding injections in Australian sport in years.”

Wylie said the extension of the national Sporting Schools program was an important feature of participation funding. Sporting Schools, which has reached 85 per cent of schools in its first four years, received a further $40 million in funding to extend the program until the end of 2020.

“Sporting Schools can be a vital catalyst for improving the health of young Australians.” Wylie said. “We want to give every Australian child the opportunity to grow up happier and healthier through a connection with Sporting Schools.

“Since its launch in 2015, more than 7,100 schools have been funded by the Sporting Schools program and there have been almost 4.8 million attendances in Sporting Schools activities.

“Sport and physical activity is vital to the overall development of children, including their mental wellbeing. The beauty of Sporting Schools is that it’s free, so the opportunity is there for every school child, no matter their location, background, ability or socio-economic status.

“Creating healthier habits in our children will take time, but it’s unquestionably worth the effort because we know active kids are far more likely to become active adults. One positive connection with Sporting Schools could help make a lifetime of difference.”

Sport Australia’s AusPlay research shows 81 per cent of Australian children are not meeting recommended physical guidelines. To combat this, Sporting Schools partners with 33 national sports to provide free and fun sporting opportunities for children before, during and after school.

Sport Australia CEO Kate Palmer says: “We welcome the Australian Government’s investment and confidence that Sporting Schools can help drive behavioural change in our children, enabling them to reap the enormous benefits sport and physical activity can provide.”

Another key investment in last night’s Federal Budget was an extra $42.5 million for the Move It AUS Community Sport Infrastructure Grant Program. The program was launched this financial year and has already provided more than $60 million for more than 450 projects around the country to upgrade community sporting facilities.

“In delivering on the national sport plan, Sport 2030, Sport Australia’s vision is for Australia to become the world’s most active sporting nation and access to active spaces is critical to get more Australians moving,” Palmer says.

“Building better sporting facilities is about building stronger, healthier communities by promoting physical activity, social connection, civic pride and economic vitality.”
https://www.sportaus.gov.au/media_centre/news/sport_australia_welcomes_major_boost_in_sport_funding

This Wide World of Sports article gives a more specific breakdown
https://wwos.nine.com.au/news/budge...-funding/da685fab-1ad9-40ed-adca-3e050a40f898
The continuing growth of women's sport will be boosted by about $200 million over the next four years as part of the government's $385 million national sport plan.

The bulk of the budget funding for women's sport is the $150 million promised over the next four years for the development of female change room facilities at sporting grounds and community swimming facilities across the country.

The government is providing $30 million to support the construction of a new Brisbane AFLW facility in Queensland and help with the redevelopment of Carlton's AFLW facilities at Ikon Park in Melbourne.

But there's also $12 million over four years for Tennis Australia to increase opportunities for women and girls to participate in grassroots tennis.

And the government will provide $7.7 million over two years to promote and prepare for the 2020 ICC Women's T20 World Cup in Australia, while Netball NT will get $40,000 so it can compete in the Australian Netball League.

All up the government will provide $385.6 million over six years to support the implementation of a national sport plan called Sport 2030.

The plan includes establishing a new body, Sport Integrity Australia, to carry out anti-doping and integrity functions, and a National Sports Tribunal to hear and resolve rule violations.

Also included in the budget is $54.1 million over two years leading up to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics for high performance grants to National Sporting Organisations and to support athletes through the Direct Athlete Support Scheme.

And $8 million is set aside for the Australian Paralympic Team to prepare for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.

Other key sports funding in the budget includes:

* $4.5 million over six years to develop a Sport Industry Growth Plan;

* $42.5 million in 2018-19 for the Community Sport Infrastructure Program to fund sport infrastructure projects in local communities;

* $41 million over two years to continue and expand the Sporting Schools Program to provide free sport-based activities for students in 6,000 primary and secondary schools;

* $23.6 million over four years for grants to strengthen social inclusion through sport;

* and $1.4 million over two years for Special Olympics Australia to improve health and physical activity outcomes for young people with intellectual disability.
https://wwos.nine.com.au/news/budge...-funding/da685fab-1ad9-40ed-adca-3e050a40f898

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
and the ALP lost TWO of their 3 seats in Tasmania at this election. Clearly the Tasmanian people voted against this pledge or didn't think it was important enough of an issue to make them keep their vote with the ALP. Its a non issue election wise now. Holding on to it makes you look foolish.

THE. SENATE. DOESN'T. WORK. LIKE. THAT.

Yeah and the LNP had swings to them and won seats in other States as well. Tasmania isn't special because they want an AFL team in that regard.

and yet they were able to win Tasmanian seats without needing to offer money to fund an AFL side. They aren't under any obligation to support a policy that was roundly rejected by the Tasmanian public on Saturday, so to say THEY WILL support a new team in the manner promised by the ALP is stuff of fantasy.

So it looks like the push for a Tassie team is just BS and should be treated as such by the AFL!

If they want a team then let North as the Tassie Kangaroos play ten home games there split between Hobart and Launcestion.

So it looks like the push for a Tassie team is just BS and should be treated as such by the AFL!

If they want a team then let North as the Tassie Kangaroos play ten home games there split between Hobart and Launcestion.
The push for a Tassie team isn't BS. They have set up a committee or project group, headed up by the Tasmanian Treasurer Peter Gutwein. The Hodgman government is putting together a charter for the committee to work thru with a view to gaining entry into the AFL by 2026.

The BS is more from the AFL who have set out minimum requirements and them sticking to that timetable. See

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...for-a-tasmanian-afl-team-20190322-p516mb.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back