Employment Electricians Jobs in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Just looking for a bit of advice, coming to the end of my apprenticeship in a couple of months, I've spent my whole apprenticeship in a tiny domestic company. I can stay here when I'm finished if I want but I've decided I don't want to work in domestic again tbh, I genuinely like the electrical industry but not exactly the part where I spend 70% of my day clipping cables in tight roofs and fitting off power points for pretty much poo change.

There's so much more interesting work to be done in the industry so my question is how do I get into it? I don't want to be a house basher all my life yet every single job on seek wants experience in commercial or industrial, which is fair enough but how exactly do I get it?

I'm happy to quit my job after my time is up and spend every day trying to get myself into a career I actually enjoy but what else can I do, if I haven't got that experience in my apprenticeship there's not much I can do about it. Any other tickets or qualifications I can go do to give myself a better chance?

Just looking for a bit of advice, coming to the end of my apprenticeship in a couple of months, I've spent my whole apprenticeship in a tiny domestic company. I can stay here when I'm finished if I want but I've decided I don't want to work in domestic again tbh, I genuinely like the electrical industry but not exactly the part where I spend 70% of my day clipping cables in tight roofs and fitting off power points for pretty much poo change.

There's so much more interesting work to be done in the industry so my question is how do I get into it? I don't want to be a house basher all my life yet every single job on seek wants experience in commercial or industrial, which is fair enough but how exactly do I get it?

I'm happy to quit my job after my time is up and spend every day trying to get myself into a career I actually enjoy but what else can I do, if I haven't got that experience in my apprenticeship there's not much I can do about it. Any other tickets or qualifications I can go do to give myself a better chance?

Your best bet might be to contact the bigger mobs like Downer, Stowe, John Holland, Nilsen etc to see if they have anything available. There's a bit of work coming up in rail and the roads this year, not exactly sure who has won or who will win these contracts but I'm sure a few of these mobs will be involved. With a big project they often need guys in a hurry so they may be willing to take a chance on you if you don't have experience. They should know what tickets etc you might need.

Also it would probably be an idea to join the union if you're looking to get into projects, don't know much about them other than the rhetoric in the media but they may help. I'm sure people on here will have some advice on this.

I mainly did domestic in my apprenticeship.. I had the same worry because I didn't want to do domestics the rest of my time.

You really just have to bullshit your way into a job and hope you get put in a small team or something so you can learn as you go. I came outtve my time and applied for a heavy industrial job. Ended up getting teamed up with an old dude who knew I was fresh. I admitted I didn't know much but keen to work hard and will listen.

It ended up being one of my favourite jobs and I came outtve the job with a lot more confidence! I then had some experience to put on my resume (I also stretched the truth on my resume.. I reccomend this) and ended up getting jobs fairly easily.

It's not easy just coming out of your time. You might go through some job interviews and end up at some dead ends but keep trying, someone will take a punt on you. Make sure when you get your opportunity you grab it by the balls and make it yours.

I'm moving back to Melbourne this month because sparky work in Perth is dry as a nuns front bum so I'll be looking as well! Im only 2-3 years out of my time

Your best bet might be to contact the bigger mobs like Downer, Stowe, John Holland, Nilsen etc to see if they have anything available. There's a bit of work coming up in rail and the roads this year, not exactly sure who has won or who will win these contracts but I'm sure a few of these mobs will be involved. With a big project they often need guys in a hurry so they may be willing to take a chance on you if you don't have experience. They should know what tickets etc you might need.

Also it would probably be an idea to join the union if you're looking to get into projects, don't know much about them other than the rhetoric in the media but they may help. I'm sure people on here will have some advice on this.
Thanks for that mate, yeah I was thinking about the rail and road industry actually as there's a lot of work coming up there. I think that'd be a good place to start.

I mainly did domestic in my apprenticeship.. I had the same worry because I didn't want to do domestics the rest of my time.

You really just have to bullshit your way into a job and hope you get put in a small team or something so you can learn as you go. I came outtve my time and applied for a heavy industrial job. Ended up getting teamed up with an old dude who knew I was fresh. I admitted I didn't know much but keen to work hard and will listen.

It ended up being one of my favourite jobs and I came outtve the job with a lot more confidence! I then had some experience to put on my resume (I also stretched the truth on my resume.. I reccomend this) and ended up getting jobs fairly easily.

It's not easy just coming out of your time. You might go through some job interviews and end up at some dead ends but keep trying, someone will take a punt on you. Make sure when you get your opportunity you grab it by the balls and make it yours.

I'm moving back to Melbourne this month because sparky work in Perth is dry as a nuns front bum so I'll be looking as well! Im only 2-3 years out of my time
Really good to read about someone in a similar position so cheers for that. I guess like you said I've just gotta try and push my way in the door and then go from there. How'd ya find the switch when you got your chance in industrial? Obviously a lot to take in at the start I'm guessing but did you start to pick it up pretty quickly from just a general electrical base in domestic?

Thanks for that mate, yeah I was thinking about the rail and road industry actually as there's a lot of work coming up there. I think that'd be a good place to start.

Really good to read about someone in a similar position so cheers for that. I guess like you said I've just gotta try and push my way in the door and then go from there. How'd ya find the switch when you got your chance in industrial? Obviously a lot to take in at the start I'm guessing but did you start to pick it up pretty quickly from just a general electrical base in domestic?

I loved the switch.. Much cruiser pace, good to learn new s**t, higher pay then domestic, don't have to deal with everyday customers, no getting in roofs and job satisfaction is much higher when you are installing/maintaining industrial equipment compared to clipping a cable in a roof and fitting off power points haha

You learn to use a different range of tools too which is handy. I picked it up pretty quickly but I just remembered, before I turned tradesman I spent about a year between commercial/industrial jobs. So my apprenticeship was 75% domestic, 20% commercial, 5% industrial. Not that the 5% mattered much, just meant I had an idea of what to expect. My mate finished at the same time as me, only did domestics his 4 years and was fine with the switch when we both got the industrial job outtve our time.

Its all about confidence. Don't doubt yourself.. I wasn't sure about my first job out of my time but my supervisor said, "relax.. Every tradie had to jump into their first job post apprenticeship, you'll be right". As long as you aren't a complete muppet or someone who's literally JUST wired new houses for 4 years then you'll be fine. I'd probably look out for recruitment agencies (Hays.. Not sure about names of other agencies in melb).. Its not ideal long term but they are the places most likely to take a punt on a guy fresh tradie. And they usually only have commercial or industrial work.

Ive got my heart set on getting into industrial/automation now. Anyone reckon offering to do unpaid work experience to get my foot in the door is a realistic way to land a job? Or am I better off just continuing to work a job that I dislike for an actual wage while applying for jobs in fields that I have no experience in (worked domestic my whole apprenticeship)

My thinking is that it shows that I'm keen, not really just interested in the money and I could prove I'm not an idiot. Hell even if I just got a couple of paragraphs to add to my resume and a referee from that side of the industry it might be worth it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back