Electronic Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

gai barone is the best thing to happen in prog since forever.

edit:
fpcookie
hey man! i have no idea what you listened to back in the day (or what you're into now), but i hope this is in the ballpark somewhere. good luck on saturday!

Last edited:
gai barone is the best thing to happen in prog since forever.

edit:
fpcookie
hey man! i have no idea what you listened to back in the day (or what you're into now), but i hope this is in the ballpark somewhere. good luck on saturday!

Dude... I never saw this post!! Things were absolutely mental time for a few weeks back there (travelling around for the finals) so must have missed the notification! Just by chance I had a look in here today and saw your post. Normally I very, very rarely look in the music folder. Ty for the well wishes btw, worked out well haha :D

I'm in to pretty much anything electronic these days although not as fanatic about it as I used to be back in the TA days (when I mostly liked trance ith less range - trance only haha). Now I just kinda know the names without really listening to many tracks, so I probably tend towards the older DJs. Definitely love some prog. Gai Barrone is quality. Guy J, D-Nox&Beckers, Hernan, etc. I'm into a lot of the more psychedelic type sounds as well, whether that's trance, chill (like the post above yours), techno, etc. DnB/breaks are still great when you hear em out and about. Really, there's stuff from every genre that I like (and a lot that I don't, as really most of it s**t). My favourite is still good old prog trance though (that perfect blend of melody/groove/'deepness') so I dig stuff like Atmos, Ticon, Vibrasphere, Phaxe (think he's gone off a bit lately though), Solar Fields' more bangin stuff, etc.

Dude... I never saw this post!! Things were absolutely mental time for a few weeks back there (travelling around for the finals) so must have missed the notification! Just by chance I had a look in here today and saw your post. Normally I very, very rarely look in the music folder. Ty for the well wishes btw, worked out well haha :D

ha! as long as you won the footy, that's all that matters!! :)

I'm in to pretty much anything electronic these days although not as fanatic about it as I used to be back in the TA days (when I mostly liked trance ith less range - trance only haha).

lol, describes me to a tee! i still search for the best melodies, but most of the time i'm not finding them in trance (or at least not the epic stuff that brought me to TA). system-j made a post a while back and i realised i had been listening to melodic techno o_O (apparently that's a thing!). i thought it was just, you know, "prog but good" :D

Now I just kinda know the names without really listening to many tracks, so I probably tend towards the older DJs. Definitely love some prog. Gai Barrone is quality. Guy J, D-Nox&Beckers, Hernan, etc. I'm into a lot of the more psychedelic type sounds as well, whether that's trance, chill (like the post above yours), techno, etc. DnB/breaks are still great when you hear em out and about. Really, there's stuff from every genre that I like (and a lot that I don't, as really most of it s**t). My favourite is still good old prog trance though (that perfect blend of melody/groove/'deepness') so I dig stuff like Atmos, Ticon, Vibrasphere, Phaxe (think he's gone off a bit lately though), Solar Fields' more bangin stuff, etc.

nice tune! i'll start looking up some of those artists. i spend way too much time shopping for tracks. you know, with red wine. so much s**t to trawl through.

ha! as long as you won the footy, that's all that matters!! :)

lol, describes me to a tee! i still search for the best melodies, but most of the time i'm not finding them in trance (or at least not the epic stuff that brought me to TA). system-j made a post a while back and i realised i had been listening to melodic techno o_O (apparently that's a thing!). i thought it was just, you know, "prog but good" :D

nice tune! i'll start looking up some of those artists. i spend way too much time shopping for tracks. you know, with red wine. so much s**t to trawl through.
Haha melodic techno definitely a thing... I'm not really into heaps of techno (zzz) but most of the stuff I do like would probably fit in here.

Check out this guy Peter Dundov (you might already know of him)
Some of his tracks are pretty much straight up trance:

but his sets are suuuuuper melodic techno (about as melodic as techno could get IMO):

Also this guy Cid Inc is pretty good. Kinda crosses the like between techno and prog (fairly melodic):

Disclaimer: haven't listened to any of these sets, as I said I just go off names these days so I just pulled the first links I found. If they're s**t, it means their new stuff isn't like their old stuff :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow.....You've got all of my favourites there.

This may not be your bag but William Basinski's Disintegration Tapes/Loops are brilliant.
Sounds so boring initially but the longer they go on the more subtleties you find and begin to love.

I feel anything else I'd put forward, you'd be well aware of: Darkside/Nicholas Jaar, Nils Frahm, Oneohtrix Point Never........you'll know all these.

Some older albums I still have a lot of time for are: Global Communications 76.14, Plaid (a couple of albums) Fennesz

Oneohtrix Point Never is fantastic. Been really digging that. I've been listening to Jaar for a while now, but I'm a fan.

Really happy I revisited this thread as there's a couple in there I've missed.

Can anybody recommend anything that sounds like Tim Hecker?
Maybe some Fennesz, Haxan Cloak, Ben Frost, Emeralds.

All kinda rugged ambient stuff.

Pitchfork did a 'Greatest 50 Ambient Albums Ever' list a few months back that might be worth a read too, if you haven't already.

Also this:

BUMP!!!!!!!!

Been listening to some hardcore industrial lately (As opposed to normal industrial)

Your neighbors will hate you 4 ever if you blast this loud. :thumbsu:

Anyone go to Babylon Festival? Looked like an awesome lineup. Luke Slater and Speedy J are playing a gig in North Melbourne tomorrow night too.

Looking forward to catching Carl Cox & Adam Beyer next month. Been waiting for Beyer to come back for ages

Remove this Banner Ad

Back