Eli and Brodie sign with Port Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Kind of feel like both got screwed over a bit by the system.

Eli got hyped too much to begin with, but was clearly at the really top end of VFL standard so in a squad that wasn't already trying to pack itself with similar type players, he'd have gotten an extra year. I really don't think some of the other players on Saints list are as good as him... but you have to lose players in order to draft more and get a look at more guys.

Brodie is technically who my son is named after... I was pushing for Jarryn and my wife saw the Saints list and 'Brodie' made the top 3 shortlist of baby names...
He just got let down by being so useful. Whilst once upon a time being a utility meant you'd be handy enough to hang around a list for 3 years before getting a chance, he was actually changing position multiple times in the season. So when he got his chance, he was ill prepared for it. Not sure he was ever going to become a rounded AFL quality player but don't feel he got a perfect run at it, he was very capable and on certain days, a matchup nightmare.
As a Sandy fan I'm disappointed neither were signed up there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kind of feel like both got screwed over a bit by the system.

Eli got hyped too much to begin with, but was clearly at the really top end of VFL standard so in a squad that wasn't already trying to pack itself with similar type players, he'd have gotten an extra year. I really don't think some of the other players on Saints list are as good as him... but you have to lose players in order to draft more and get a look at more guys.

Brodie is technically who my son is named after... I was pushing for Jarryn and my wife saw the Saints list and 'Brodie' made the top 3 shortlist of baby names...
He just got let down by being so useful. Whilst once upon a time being a utility meant you'd be handy enough to hang around a list for 3 years before getting a chance, he was actually changing position multiple times in the season. So when he got his chance, he was ill prepared for it. Not sure he was ever going to become a rounded AFL quality player but don't feel he got a perfect run at it, he was very capable and on certain days, a matchup nightmare.
As a Sandy fan I'm disappointed neither were signed up there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Eli's broken arm in NZ against Brisbane after bursting into the team at the start of 2014 really set him back. Never really recovered at AFL level unfortunately.

Eli's broken arm in NZ against Brisbane after bursting into the team at the start of 2014 really set him back. Never really recovered at AFL level unfortunately.
True it is a pretty big thing, even mentally I've had a shoulder injury myself when I played rugby and it takes a while to get back properly.

But as I say he was overhyped in the first place; he was getting like 9 touches a game with 5 of them in a single quarter. He had a really high ratio of i50 or goals to touches, and with a mop like that he's quickly noticed.
But the key was always going to be extrapolating that impact into 3 quarters at least rather than 1, but he never did it. At Sandy level they chucked him in the midfield more, which gave him the chance to show he could do that... but again similar to Murdoch thats a different role to what he would have played at AFL level where he was really pegged for the hustling small forward role that attends maybe only 10 restarts a game, probably coming off the bench to rotate with Weller, Sinclair, Lonie etc. A game I saw him at Sandy he was basically a pure 1st touch inside clearance role for much of the game, and he was ok at it, but that was never getting him an extension on its own.

I'll be interested to see what role he plays at his new home.

True it is a pretty big thing, even mentally I've had a shoulder injury myself when I played rugby and it takes a while to get back properly.

But as I say he was overhyped in the first place; he was getting like 9 touches a game with 5 of them in a single quarter. He had a really high ratio of i50 or goals to touches, and with a mop like that he's quickly noticed.
But the key was always going to be extrapolating that impact into 3 quarters at least rather than 1, but he never did it. At Sandy level they chucked him in the midfield more, which gave him the chance to show he could do that... but again similar to Murdoch thats a different role to what he would have played at AFL level where he was really pegged for the hustling small forward role that attends maybe only 10 restarts a game, probably coming off the bench to rotate with Weller, Sinclair, Lonie etc. A game I saw him at Sandy he was basically a pure 1st touch inside clearance role for much of the game, and he was ok at it, but that was never getting him an extension on its own.

I'll be interested to see what role he plays at his new home.

Ike, when does a Scotsman get to the TBO to watch Sandy??
Where'd you stand: Sautner End, Beach side, Scoreboard side or Social Club?

Back in the day, the Sautner End was also known as Can Hill.

Had some fun times there, especially when Coops was playing.
Will always remember jumping the fence when he kicked his ton.
He had his false teeth out.
God, he was an ugly bugger with them out too.

(Seems I made a habit of jumping fences back in the day: did the same for Plugger at Moorabbin in 1987. Couldn't jump over a matchbox now....)

Anyways, I too was surprised neither Eli or Brodie stayed at Sandringham but then again given the alignment would the Saints want them?

From the Club's perspective, I guess they'd be more interested in developing the new players rather than retaining discards.

Credit where he's due, Eli has put in the hard yards over the summer, launching his comeback. He's grown his hair back, and been doing plenty of exercise:
giphy.gif

Good luck to them both. Very good at VFL level. Both unfortunately never quite carried it to the AFL due to reasons noted above.

Both still young hopefully they play well and get a go at AFL again.

Ike, when does a Scotsman get to the TBO to watch Sandy??
Where'd you stand: Sautner End, Beach side, Scoreboard side or Social Club?

Back in the day, the Sautner End was also known as Can Hill.

Had some fun times there, especially when Coops was playing.
Will always remember jumping the fence when he kicked his ton.
He had his false teeth out.
God, he was an ugly bugger with them out too.

(Seems I made a habit of jumping fences back in the day: did the same for Plugger at Moorabbin in 1987. Couldn't jump over a matchbox now....)

Anyways, I too was surprised neither Eli or Brodie stayed at Sandringham but then again given the alignment would the Saints want them?

From the Club's perspective, I guess they'd be more interested in developing the new players rather than retaining discards.
I download streams/torrents when available or its posted live - a couple times people, I presume just regular punters, have streamed on facebook.
Only actually been to one game there in 2013, was there two other days as a coaching observer and then once season was over and they were digging it all up.
I just stood on the embankment bit when I was there, the end where the car park is. Other than going to the clubhouse for a drink which I wasn't sure if was ticketed but they seemed entrigued by the scot with the Sandy polo shirt.

Last edited:
I download streams/torrents when available or its posted live - a couple times people, I presume just regular punters, have streamed on facebook.
Only actually been to one game there in 2013, was there two other days as a coaching observer and then once season was over and they were digging it all up.
I just stood on the embankment bit when I was there, the end where the car park is. Other than going to the clubhouse for a drink which I wasn't sure if was ticketed but they seemed entrigued by the scot with the Sandy polo shirt.

You should have: you'd be a curiosity (supporter from furthest away) and as such, most welcome!!

You should have: you'd be a curiosity (supporter from furthest away) and as such, most welcome!!

The folks at Sandy were amazing, very accomodating. Couldn't believe I was interested in watching training and meetings etc.
They gave me a jersey too, it was Jackson Ferguson's, like a week after he got delisted by Saints.
I think I actually got closer to Aaron Black than he did in that one AFL game he had...
I visited Claremont too, they even took me to dinner. Folk still at the roots of footy, love showing their club to people.

Maybe not a popular call but i think delisting Eli will prove to be almost (but not quite) as bad a call delisting Mav.

Will be a touch over 22 come draft day this year, has proven he can dominate VFL, reckon someone will at least rookie him.

Completely agree, he was defo worth us giving another year, he was just edged out by numbers. Last two years we seem to have been desperate to get a look at a few more people off the rookie draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck to both Eli and Brodie:thumbsu:

But crossing into enemy territory there:eek:
My family were staunch Sandy supporters during the mid 70s early 80s thanks to some family connections at the club at the time.
As a kid i remember a very healthy rivalry between Sandy and Port. I also remember some crazy fights between the two sides. The VFA as it was known back then was not for the faint hearted.

Good luck to both Eli and Brodie:thumbsu:

But crossing into enemy territory there:eek:
My family were staunch Sandy supporters during the mid 70s early 80s thanks to some family connections at the club at the time.
As a kid i remember a very healthy rivalry between Sandy and Port. I also remember some crazy fights between the two sides. The VFA as it was known back then was not for the faint hearted.

Let me assure you, the rivalry persists. Port are dogs.

Let me assure you, the rivalry persists. Port are dogs.
I'm a Williamstown member for family reasons. The rivalries absolutely still exist.

Maybe not a popular call but i think delisting Eli will prove to be almost (but not quite) as bad a call delisting Mav.

Will be a touch over 22 come draft day this year, has proven he can dominate VFL, reckon someone will at least rookie him.

Mav was far more impressive in his first few seasons was dropped because of conflict with the coach.
Eli was a victim of our trade success Stevens squeezed him.
Minch and Wright had solid 2016 AFL performances they can build on and had shown they could be role players and bring physical intensity.
3rd up ban means we need 3 genuine tap rucks while Pierce is a project player who is on track.
Eli should of been rookied by 3 or 4 different clubs but we could no longer afford to gift players AFL game time to find their footing

Sandy always hates playing Willy at Willy.
I think it's got something to do with the bay being on the opposite side of the ground c/w TBO.
I'm guessing the wind plays havoc with the players mindset.
I played at Willys ground a few times.
At half time i wouldve been more than happy to dive into an ice bath instead of going back out.
ANYTHING is warmer than that bloody ground on a windy day in winter.

Good luck to them both.

Eli had plenty of hype but a lot of it was justified. His work hitting up Roo in that first season was something we were screaming for and it looked like he was going to be a HFF/Winger for a while. After the break and the hair cut he just lost his mojo and other players passed him by. If not for that injury would Weller have played forward as much as he did?

Brodie reminds me alot of Siposs. Both had incredible kicking skills and could control things given time and space but the extra second they need to weigh things up just isn't there at AFL level. Brodie showed glimpses with his massive goals from outside 50 but he was probably more suited to the role that Joey and Savage have played across halfback and with DMac, Rice and White on board he became surplus.

I think if Brodie can increase his defensive work he will get picked up by a team like Essendon or Hawthorn who like to posses the ball and take some time. Eli is going to find it tougher IMO. Plenty of guys rack up the stats at VFL level but if they can't get their skills up they won't get drafted.

Will make the Sandy v Port game a little more interesting though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back