Scandal Elijah Taylor charged with assault of girlfriend.

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
That would be fair enough I think - but given that it’s hit the headlines, the police will have to look at it tomorrow.

I think the police requires her to make a formal complaint before they can investigate. I may be wrong but I think that’s the case. Whereas the AFL can unilaterally investigate the matter as an integrity matter that impacts on the reputation of the sport.

Making allegations on social media certainly draws public attention to it and probably increases the likelihood that she receives immediate support. But she should make a formal complaint to the police. These allegations are very serious and are now in the public domain.

Taylor is entitled to defend himself. The allegations have traduced his reputation. He will need to convincingly refute all of the allegations. If so, then investigators will need to ascertain all of the facts.

The whole thing is very sad and troubling. Everyone loses.

Teal Leviathan

Debutant
Aug 14, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
People really shouldnt be picking sides until more information comes out. DV is messed up. Almost equally messed up is false allegations.

Two teenagers broke up and one has lashed out on social media. Wait before judging either of them.

"Innocent before proven guilty" is a principle for a legal system with the power to deprive persons of their liberty. As mere onlookers we are more than capable of calling a spade a spade without waiting for the detailed engineering analysis.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Whatever the truth is in this story, at the end of the day these two both have some very serious issues and need some very serious counselling. Hopefully this is the start of a new chapter for the both of them
Both have issues? Need counselling?

Her "issue" is that she has been beaten up and threatened by her partner. And he doesn't need counselling, he needs to be arrested.

Why is (alleged) domestic violence only an issue we can debate when it involves a sportsperson? I hope both of them are getting all the support they need and that they are both in a safe space.

Taylor is entitled to defend himself. The allegations have traduced his reputation. He will need to convincingly refute all of the allegations. If so, then investigators will need to ascertain all of the facts.

Onus isn't on him to prove his innocence, its on the accuser to prove his guilt. Very, very important distinction.

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
Onus isn't on him to prove his innocence, its on the accuser to prove his guilt. Very, very important distinction.

The onus is on him to refute all of the allegations. Of course it is. If he’s innocent he will readily do that.

That’s not inconsistent with the legal principle that the accuser has to prove his guilt. They are two different things.

The onus is on him to refute all of the allegations. Of course it is. If he’s innocent he will readily do that.

That’s not inconsistent with the legal principle that the accuser has to prove his guilt. They are two different things.

He doesn't need to refute anything, he can legally and literally sit there silent, refute nothing and if the case doesn't get proven guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, he is fine.

Archetypal example of reversing the onus and burden of proof in a criminal proceeding. Literally the opposite of how our criminal justice system is run.

Do you see how you're taking him to task to prove his innocence and how that's wrong?

Last edited:

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
He doesn't need to refute anything, he can legally and literally sit there silent, refute nothing and if the case doesn't get proven guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, he is fine.

Archetypal example of reversing the onus and burden of proof in a criminal proceeding. Literally the opposite of how our criminal justice system is run.

Do you see how you're taking him to task to prove his innocence and how that's wrong?

Absolute rubbish. I am doing nothing of the sort.

The right to remain silent is a legal protection that we all have to prevent us from incriminating ourselves with our own evidence. He has that right. It is a legal right. It puts the onus on the accuser (prosecution) to prove guilt without the defendant providing evidence. It is perfectly legitimate to do this.

However to openly deny untrue and unfounded allegations is the act of protesting ones innocence. This is the difference. It confronts the allegations without hiding behind a legal right.

If someone is accused of criminal activity from fabricated evidence then it is natural that they deny what is alleged rather than clamming up. It does not lessen the burden of proof at a trial. To suggest otherwise is incorrect. Clear denial confronts the allegations head on with the same ‘not guilty’ plea. The accused says that ‘I did not do this. This is untrue’.

If the allegations against Taylor are untrue then it is natural that he does the latter. As an innocent man why wouldn’t he? In fact, you would expect him to. The onus is on him to make that choice.

The same burden of proof is required either way.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
Lots of people here are quick to play judge, jury and executioner. Don't you think there may be evidence we're not privy to that will be used to determine his guilt or otherwise?

As for the Swans, I'm sure they will respect the legal process and act according to the result. If he's found guilty, I doubt you'll hear his name too many more times.

Absolute rubbish. I am doing nothing of the sort.

The right to remain silent is a legal protection that we all have to prevent us from incriminating ourselves with our own evidence. He has that right. It is a legal right. It puts the onus on the accuser (prosecution) to prove guilt without the defendant providing evidence. It is perfectly legitimate to do this.

However to openly deny untrue and unfounded allegations is the act of protesting ones innocence. This is the difference. It confronts the allegations without hiding behind a legal right.

If someone is accused of criminal activity from fabricated evidence then it is natural that they deny what is alleged rather than clamming up. It does not lessen the burden of proof at a trial. To suggest otherwise is incorrect. Clear denial confronts the allegations head on with the same ‘not guilty’ plea. The accused says that ‘I did not do this. This is untrue’.

If the allegations against Taylor are untrue then it is natural that he does the latter. As an innocent man why wouldn’t he? In fact, you would expect him to. But it’s his choice.

The same burden of proof is required either way.

Plainly wrong and misconceived idealism.

History is littered with examples of innocent people doing exactly what you're suggesting and getting convicted.

Last edited:

Ricky112

Senior List
Aug 29, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I thought as a society we had moved past trying to shame and discredit women for speaking out against their abusers.

I believe her 100%. Whether or not she goes to the police is another matter many domestic violence victims are scared to take it further for one reason or another.

Disgraceful for a man to lay a hand on a woman let alone punch, choke, kick, etc. This is a straight up bashing.

I hope people don't start making excuses for him such as a bad childhood, etc.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I thought as a society we had moved past trying to shame and discredit women for speaking out against their abusers.

I believe her 100%. Whether or not she goes to the police is another matter many domestic violence victims are scared to take it further for one reason or another.

Disgraceful for a man to lay a hand on a woman let alone punch, choke, kick, etc. This is a straight up bashing.

I hope people don't start making excuses for him such as a bad childhood, etc.

Why do you believe her 100%?

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
In this case, with her photo, yes. I also have a tendency to believe and feel sorry for dv victims. If more were believed then maybe more would come forward.

It's not that hard to offer support, do due diligence and wait for a police investigation. Judgements can and should be postponed especially from afar.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Remember the Greg inglis incident everyone. She accused him of beating her, turns out shed attacked him with a knife and she fell over in the struggle.

Sometimes the accusation (particularly a public one) isn't always accurate.
Let's wait and see what has actually happened.
Here's hoping white ribbon don't jump on board though, as the story will be important than the truth

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
We'll have to give this one a few days to settle but it doesn't look good for Elijah. Already one strike against him at the club with his covid breach and this would be 2 strikes.
Most likely scenario the Swans consult Goodes and Michael O'Loughlin and either work with Elijah about enrolling in DV programs and getting help and work with him, or he is not offered a new contract.
He is looking like a problem child for SYdney and the Swans usually avoid these type

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Nobody’s shaming or discrediting anyone. If Taylor’s as violent as claimed, end the relationship and report the violence to police. Maybe she just wants to “teach him a lesson” while continuing the relationship? Posting about it to her “followers” suggests it’s more a spat than a crime.

getthefooty

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Nobody’s shaming or discrediting anyone. If Taylor’s as violent as claimed, end the relationship and report the violence to police. Maybe she just wants to “teach him a lesson” while continuing the relationship? Posting about it to her “followers” suggests it’s more a spat than a crime.

Na, it makes perfect sense to me. Young, immature woman feels trapped and has nowhere to go or feels like she wouldn’t be able to make it to the police without something happening to her or being able to go through with it. Not only that but the thought of having a police officer interrogate you about the abuse isn’t exactly a comforting thought either. What’s the quickest and easiest way to avoid all that and bring attention to the issue? Social media.

I’m not saying he did it. If he did do it though I certainly don’t begrudge her for going down that route.

Back