Scandal Elijah Taylor charged with assault of girlfriend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously not. If you're female you're entitled to get emotional and hit sleeping people. Men are obligated to have superior command of their emotions.

Not complaining, that's just the nature of gender roles since the year dot. But it's a step backwards for women aspiring to true equality.
No, women are not entitled to hit people. But the other party isn't entitled to respond disproportionately.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You can defend yourself against a women without hitting her
Don't try and justify these low life scums who hit women
That’s pretty much it. He’s an AFL player and could probably snap her in half. He should only do as much as is necessary to stop her.

Not much doubt he got what he deserved and was probably a little lucky insofar as the court matter goes.

As for being sacked, on the surface there are plenty of players who have done comparable things and kept their jobs (particularly considering his youth) but my guess is this there’s plenty we don’t know.

It’s not like a player is a total choirboy and just happens to break hotel quarantine and commit an act of domestic violence out of the blue. He’s probably been a problem for a while.

What is the threshold for domestic violence? How many hits? What force?
I believe you can look up the legal definitions in different states.

I can have a look. Would you likeme to get the code definition in Victoria?

This incident occurred in WA.

Meaning of “act of family and domestic violence” and “act of personal violence”

(1) In this Act —

“act of family and domestic violence” means one of the following acts that a person commits against another person with whom he or she is in a family and domestic relationship —

(a) assaulting or causing personal injury to the person;

(b) kidnapping or depriving the person of his or her liberty;

(c) damaging the person’s property, including the injury or death of an animal that is the person’s property;

(d) behaving in an ongoing manner that is intimidating, offensive or emotionally abusive towards the person;

(e) causing the person or a third person to be pursued —

(i) with intent to intimidate the person; or

(ii) in a manner that could reasonably be expected to intimidate, and that does in fact intimidate, the person;

(f) threatening to commit any act described in paragraphs (a) to (c) against the person.

(2) In this Act —

“act of personal violence” means one of the following acts that a person commits against another person with whom he or she is not in a family and domestic relationship —

(a) assaulting or causing personal injury to the person;

(b) kidnapping or depriving the person of his or her liberty;

(c) causing the person or a third person to be pursued —

(i) with intent to intimidate the person; or

(ii) in a manner that could reasonably be expected to intimidate, and that does in fact intimidate, the person;

(d) threatening to commit any act described in paragraph (a) or (b) against the person;

(e) if the person who commits the act has an imagined personal relationship with the person against whom the act is committed, an act that would constitute an act of family and domestic violence if those persons were in a family and domestic relationship.

(3) For the purposes of this Act, a person who procures another person to commit an act of abuse, or part of such an act, is to be taken to have also committed the act himself or herself.

(4) In this section —

“assaulting” includes —

(a) an assault within the meaning of The Criminal Code; and

(b) behaving in a manner described in paragraph (a), (b) or (c) of section 319(3) of The Criminal Code;

“intimidate” has the same meaning as in section 338D of The Criminal Code;

“kidnapping or depriving the person of his or her liberty ” includes behaving in a manner described in section 332 of The Criminal Code;

“pursue” has the same meaning as in section 338D of The Criminal Code.

kingofthebags

Rookie
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What are your thoughts on women who hit men as the aggressive instigator ?

What if she comes at him with a knife? Stay there and cop the stabbing? Or maybe its sometimes okay to defend yourself ?

To some extent yes, you have to avoid harm without doing any back. In the legal system if you hit a woman you're ****ed regardless of if you instigated or did less damage

To some extent yes, you have to avoid harm without doing any back. In the legal system if you hit a woman you're f’ed regardless of if you instigated or did less damage
Not correct. Proportional response.

Always becomes a he said she said and the man always loses in our court system, just how it is.
So a man has NEVER avoided arrest or a court appearance over a domestic violence issue?

Is that really what you're saying?

kingofthebags

Rookie
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So a man has NEVER avoided arrest or a court appearance over a domestic violence issue?

Is that really what you're saying?

I was obviously being hyperbolic to a degree, no need to straw man me, it's just disproportionately going to favour women if both have done a 'proportionate response. As a man you just have to deescalate and disengage in scenarios like elijahs

I was obviously being hyperbolic to a degree, no need to straw man me, it's just disproportionately going to favour women if both have done a 'proportionate response. As a man you just have to deescalate and disengage in scenarios like elijahs
Any wise man would. The potential for real damage - not just some slaps - is huge when one party is a lot stronger than another.

"She started hitting me while I was asleep so I bashed her and whipped her with my belt." That's never going to fly.

The court heard the pair had bumped into each other at a nightclub before returning to Taylor’s hotel room. Taylor subsequently woke to find Pearce punching him after she had discovered a Snapchat message from a third party on his phone.

Taylor responded by punching Pearce in the jaw and hitting her several times in the face, according to a statement of facts tendered by police prosecutors. The former Swans player, who has been on bail since his arrest, then struck her with a belt while she screamed out in pain, crying for him to stop.

When Pearce said she was going to the police, Taylor punched her in the back of the head, causing her to fall to the floor, the facts state.

This is NOT A PROPORTIONAL RESPONSE.

And now he's basically gotten a fine and public admonishment. Losing his job was taken into account in sentencing.

The magistrate, Deen Potter, granted the request for a spent conviction and handed Taylor a $5,000 fine. A spent conviction in WA is the same as having no conviction recorded in other jurisdictions.

Last edited:

kingofthebags

Rookie
Oct 29, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any wise man would. The potential for real damage - not just some slaps - is huge when one party is a lot stronger than another.

"She started hitting me while I was asleep so I bashed her and whipped her with my belt." That's never going to fly.

The court heard the pair had bumped into each other at a nightclub before returning to Taylor’s hotel room. Taylor subsequently woke to find Pearce punching him after she had discovered a Snapchat message from a third party on his phone.

Taylor responded by punching Pearce in the jaw and hitting her several times in the face, according to a statement of facts tendered by police prosecutors. The former Swans player, who has been on bail since his arrest, then struck her with a belt while she screamed out in pain, crying for him to stop.

When Pearce said she was going to the police, Taylor punched her in the back of the head, causing her to fall to the floor, the facts state.

And now he's basically gotten a fine and public admonishment. Losing his job was taken into account in sentencing.

The magistrate, Deen Potter, granted the request for a spent conviction and handed Taylor a $5,000 fine. A spent conviction in WA is the same as having no conviction recorded in other jurisdictions.

Yeah but I'm saying don't do a 'proportional response' full stop, you will just get ****ed by our legal system or have to pay * tons in legal fees. Never hit a woman, even in self-defence, you will get ****ed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but I'm saying don't do a 'proportional response' full stop, you will just get f’ed by our legal system or have to pay fu** tons in legal fees. Never hit a woman, even in self-defence, you will get f’ed.
Yes you are. I am saying that you’re wrong, and even in this case a totally over the top response got nothing more than a fine and essentially no conviction.

EDIT: And this includes punching her in the back of the head so she fell flat on her face - after the threat from her had ended and because she was saying she was calling the cops.

Think about it.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on women who hit men as the aggressive instigator ?

What if she comes at him with a knife? Stay there and cop the stabbing? Or maybe its sometimes okay to defend yourself ?

Its actually a lot more common than you would think.

Unless the incident is recorded, you are better off getting stabbed than using equal and opposite force to defend yourself.

That is just horrible what Taylor did to her. All he got was a fine. The court should be ashamed of itself.

May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Brooklyn Nets, New York Jets

"Elijah Taylor: Ex-Sydney Swans player in court over family violence-related matters involving new partner"​

This is just sad. A young guy destroying so many people's lives around him including his own. Without knowing the facts it seems like incarceration looks might be the path forward to ensure community safety

Remove this Banner Ad

Back