Past Elijah Taylor - delisted 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod Note:

I've removed a large number of posts from the last day or so that is mainly speculation without any factual basis and broader discussion on the issue of DV.

I want to bring this thread back on track and reiterate the scope of the discussion to be:
*new developments in the Taylor case as more facts get reported
*ramifications of such facts on Taylor's future at the club and the Swans
*subsequent actions the Swans should take

If you want to talk about the sociology around the issue of DV more generally there's sure to be many appropriate threads on the Society, Religion, Politics board.

There's no reason for oppo posters to be weighing in here, there's a thread on the main board about the exact same topic.

From here on posts that are simply speculating without any factual backing are going in the bin. This includes:
*any posts speculating on the outcome of Taylor's guilt/innocence - he's presumed innocent until found guilty, we know as it stands there are serious allegations of DV against him, there's going to be a hearing on September 30. Without further fact and information, no one's in a position to make a more enlightened view.
*any posts theorising the girl 'attention-seeking' or making false claim for some other reason - without any supporting facts it's completely unfair to be making that sort of character assessment. A DV allegation is a serious claim and there's no business in dismissing it until the facts arise to counter it.

We don't have an obligation but it would be good to see. A footy club is a powerful thing and we're presented with an opportunity to try and change someone for the better for society's sake. I'd like to think we wouldn't just wash our hands of it just because he's not our problem anymore.

I don't know what the reality is.

When you see 18yo kids get drafted, each year the club will meet the family, promise them that they will look after their kid and make them better men as well as footballers. etc

But the reality we delist young players every year, ending their AFL careers and send them back to their home state. We delisted Hirst after half a season. I am not sure what support the club offers. Or whether one year on an AFL rookie list is still seen as a positive experience.

With list cuts, I think about guys like Reynolds and Rowles who possibly may not ever get a senior game. And hope it has been a nice experience to be part of the club travelling around the country. And form bonds with the guys they were drafted with. But it makes me savour the little success stories like Fox and Wicks taking their chances and cementing a spot in the team. Or seeing young players get a debut or celebrate their first goal or win.

Last edited:
ET would have made for a good small forward/forward flanker possibly in the Rioli mold before his attitude and alleged actions pissed his career away

This would have to be one of my favourite attempts to get a thread back on topic this season

He is staring down the barrel here. Incident reported and charged within 24 hrs. Investigations of Domestic violence where there is no evidence and some conflicting accounts by either party last days if not weeks. There is evidence here be it physical or witness present. Take that to the bank. He is in deep s**t and yes he should have the fairness of being presumed innocent until otherwise but without saying innocent or guilty get the solvol out and wash your hands of him. Nothing less than he deserves.

He is staring down the barrel here. Incident reported and charged within 24 hrs. Investigations of Domestic violence where there is no evidence and some conflicting accounts by either party last days if not weeks. There is evidence here be it physical or witness present. Take that to the bank. He is in deep sh*t and yes he should have the fairness of being presumed innocent until otherwise but without saying innocent or guilty get the solvol out and wash your hands of him. Nothing less than he deserves.

Whats the difference between Elijah and De'Goey? other than the latter being a much better and more high profile player in a big Victorian club.

He is staring down the barrel here. Incident reported and charged within 24 hrs. Investigations of Domestic violence where there is no evidence and some conflicting accounts by either party last days if not weeks. There is evidence here be it physical or witness present. Take that to the bank. He is in deep sh*t and yes he should have the fairness of being presumed innocent until otherwise but without saying innocent or guilty get the solvol out and wash your hands of him. Nothing less than he deserves.
I wish I didn’t find myself agreeing.

But I do.

My question is whether there are clauses in his contract he has broken? If yes, is the Club able to exercise these and delist him?

Presumably the AFLPA would be involved in representing ET's interests if all this came to pass.

I am guessing the Club would pay out his 2021 contract as part of severance pay. I guess they would not want such payments included in the 2021 salary cap and for the AFL to sign off on this.

ET possesses a heap of talent. I was delighted when we drafted him. He is great fun to watch, even in the snippets we saw with the Club.

I think ETs games gave an insight into where he is at presently, especially his maturity. Flashes of brilliance mixed in with avoiding the hard stuff. He lost most of his hard one on ones and looked afraid to put his body on the line to tackle. Definitely more talent than Wicks or Foot but those boys give you the impression they really want to be out there. With looming list cuts, I will be very dirty if one of these boys goes and ET stays.

My question is whether there are clauses in his contract he has broken? If yes, is the Club able to exercise these and delist him?

Presumably the AFLPA would be involved in representing ET's interests if all this came to pass.

I am guessing the Club would pay out his 2021 contract as part of severance pay. I guess they would not want such payments included in the 2021 salary cap and for the AFL to sign off on this.

ET possesses a heap of talent. I was delighted when we drafted him. He is great fun to watch, even in the snippets we saw with the Club.

I’m not across specific content of afl contracts. It’s likely I would say that repeated cases of ill discipline represent a breach of contract in which case they can tear up the contract without further obligation. I suspect they didnt want to go that far at this stage to show support to someone who is presumed innocent.

I think ETs games gave an insight into where he is at presently, especially his maturity. Flashes of brilliance mixed in with avoiding the hard stuff. He lost most of his hard one on ones and looked afraid to put his body on the line to tackle. Definitely more talent than Wicks or Foot but those boys give you the impression they really want to be out there. With looming list cuts, I will be very dirty if one of these boys goes and ET stays.
I agree he looked good. I thought he was a talent going forward. He wont stay.

In fairness, Foot was dropped after, what, 2 games? So the coaches might think he hadn't shown enough, in which case it wouldn't be related to ET.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness, Foot was dropped after, what, 2 games? So the coaches might think he hadn't shown enough, in which case it wouldn't be related to ET.
But if there is only one spot left on the list and they take ET over Foot, that would be a tragedy. Zac has had a tough upbringing but has not let that hold him back. He's worked his arse off to get his opportunity. As an aside, he was pretty good on debut and some of his play in the Neafl last year was electrifying. I think he's shown enough to keep a spot, depending on the size of the lists of course.

But if there is only one spot left on the list and they take ET over Foot, that would be a tragedy. Zac has had a tough upbringing but has not let that hold him back. He's worked his arse off to get his opportunity. As an aside, he was pretty good on debut and some of his play in the Neafl last year was electrifying. I think he's shown enough to keep a spot, depending on the size of the lists of course.

Yeah I wasn't disagreeing, just saying that I could see an outcome where list management decisions and ET's fate won't be related. Ie we might still decide to get rid of player x y or z even if ET isn't on the list anymore.

Fair enough opinion. My issue isn't this particular situation in itself, but what overall responsibilty do clubs have in such scenarios? Imo the club should be more than happy to mentor a player through such an issue, especially a teenager.
I think the repeat offence was a red flag. He has obvious talent. But he has some issues that the Swans do not need.
But one of the things the club will find more difficult is helping one player with a problem when soft cap has reduced massively. Spending on player welfare and programs like that are going to be reduced. Horse brought this up in an interview with SEN.

I think the repeat offence was a red flag. He has obvious talent. But he has some issues that the Swans do not need.
But one of the things the club will find more difficult is helping one player with a problem when soft cap has reduced massively. Spending on player welfare and programs like that are going to be reduced. Horse brought this up in an interview with SEN.
I agree with this completely. Hence the diluted statement by the club trying to slide through unnoticed whilst wiping their hands clean.

Stand him down till it runs it course then. They've made the decision based on something. Say what it is. Don't try to slide through with political jargon. They know they are avoiding their responsibilty here hence the diluted statement. Otherwise why not be straight forward.
Put plainly; it's none of your business. You aren't entitled to know anything about it, not sure why you think you are tbh.
If you were sacked from your current job would you want the company putting out a PR telling everyone exactly why?

Put plainly; it's none of your business. You aren't entitled to know anything about it, not sure why you think you are tbh.
If you were sacked from your current job would you want the company putting out a PR telling everyone exactly why?
Members maybe? The ones who actually keep the club afloat. If I was a share holder of that company then yes I would want a PR. If it's none of anyone's business then why does it matter what Elijah does in his own time.

I'm not trying to paint anything. I'm commenting on the clarity of the club's statement. My only opinion on such issues is that it would be noble of clubs to play a hand in mentoring and rehab in such scenarios. Regardless of that, the way the club statement was worded gave me the impression that they wanted to wipe their hands clean of him so they don't need to deal with it.

If that's their decision then that's fine. But the way the statement was politically worded was odd. Why tiptoe around the clarity of the whole scenario? That makes me think they realise people out their would expect them to have some sort of responsibilty in this situation, but they're trying to slide through unnoticed.

How exactly did the club tiptoe around anything?

Here is what was said:

“The situation Elijah and the club has found itself in is deeply regrettable. Elijah has made some very poor decisions which have led us to this point, and he acknowledges that,” Gardiner said.

“This is certainly not a position we have arrived at lightly, however Elijah’s actions could not be reconciled.

“It is obviously a sensitive situation and a legal process is still to play out, but in working with Elijah and his management, our collective view was that the right call for both Elijah and the club is to part ways. We have also consulted with the AFLPA and appreciate the support James Gallagher and his team has provided during the process.

“This has been an incredibly difficult situation for Elijah, his family, and those involved. We are keen to see Elijah receive ongoing education and support in the hope that he can mature and learn from this experience, make better decisions in the future, and take steps towards rebuilding his career.”

In short, Elijah made very poor decisions. Everyone involved understands that his position at the club is no longer tenable as a result of these decisions, so he is no longer on the list. As such, the club has no further responsibility towards him. We wish him the best and hope that he can turn things around, but that is on him and not us.

How is that not simply an accurate and succinct statement of the situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back