Scandal Elijah Taylor charged with assault of girlfriend.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not really a club matter anymore it's criminal ..
You can lead a horse to water & all that stuff.

The club and AFL could have encouraged her to go to the police and put her up in a hotel for a month so that Taylor couldn't get his hands on her and give her another hiding. The AFL has enough money to put babysitters and grandparents up in resort accommodation for 6 weeks, they could have at least helped a vulnerable woman.

These allegations apparently go back months and the Swans would no doubt have been aware of them.

The Swans were busy trying to tell her to "cool it" on social media because it was making their player, the club and the AFL look bad. We can't have that can we?

The club and AFL could have encouraged her to go to the police and put her up in a hotel for a month so that Taylor couldn't get his hands on her and give her another hiding. The AFL has enough money to put babysitters and grandparents up in resort accommodation for 6 weeks, they could have at least helped a vulnerable woman.

These allegations apparently go back months and the Swans would no doubt have been aware of them.

The Swans were busy trying to tell her to "cool it" on social media because it was making their player, the club and the AFL look bad. We can't have that can we?

Yeah, walls in hotels tend to be paper thin. If its true that it had been going for months then somebody was ignoring obvious signs. Its scary to think about given strangulation is a high risk indicator that the AFM's life is in danger and hes allegedly choked her multiple times. Maybe no one could see the signs. Maybe them hotel walls are thicker than others. Maybe.

The Swans no doubt were aware of it for months? They have been playing interstate for months. Stick to the facts which are limited until a court hearing on September 30.

So they checked into hotel together Saturday evening, a disturbance was recorded early Sunday morning (6am - 8am) then both had to be woken and asked to clear out after missing 11am check out, after all thats gone down leading up to this (that we even know about) this is one twisted relationship !

Just an observation mate. It's not like I'm making it up. Go watch the video he's smiling throughout.

Smooth operator well versed in empty corporate jargon.

Only time he gets rattled is when the journalist asks about allegations of trying to silence the victim. Starts rapidly blinking and takes a look to the right.
Fat Head Eddie is the biggest spiv in the game. Always smiles when he knives something in the media.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

So they checked into hotel together Saturday evening, a disturbance was recorded early Sunday morning (6am - 8am) then both had to be woken and asked to clear out after missing 11am check out, after all thats gone down leading up to this (that we even know about) this is one twisted relationship !
Suggest you check her facebook page - all class !!!
Nothing excuses DV but unfortunately "twisted relationships" seems to be all too common these days.

It's morning, you wake, a sun ray hits your face
Smeared makeup as we lay in the wake of destruction
Hush baby, speak softly, tell me you're awfully sorry
That you pushed me into the coffee table last night
So I can push you off me
Try and touch me so I can scream at you not to touch me
Run out the room and I'll follow you like a lost puppy
Baby, without you I'm nothing, I'm so lost, hug me
Then tell me how ugly I am, but that you'll always love me
Then after that, shove me, in the aftermath of the
Destructive path that we're on, two psychopaths but we
Know that no matter how many knives we put in each other's backs
That we'll have each other's backs, 'cause we're that lucky
Together, we move mountains, let's not make mountains out of molehills
You hit me twice, yeah, but who's countin'
I may have hit you three times, I'm startin' to lose count
But together, we'll live forever, we found the youth fountain
Our love is crazy, we're nuts, but I refuse counsellin'
This house is too huge, if you move out I'll burn all two thousand
Square feet of it to the ground, ain't s**t you can do about it
'Cause with you I'm in my *in' mind, without you I'm out it.

Just watching the news, it’s happened again?! Wtf.

Blokes career done, we’ll hear about in him 5-6 years being sentenced to jail for this that and the other.

Hate to say it, but this has people thinking back to Dale Garlett and the mess he got into.

Not too sure the Sydney club treated this any different from how the other 17 clubs would have gone about the situation. Glass houses and all that.

There are various anti social ( I think that is the phrase ) problems tied up in this case. Hope it can be unravelled and in the end, good comes of the intervention by police & community authorities.

Twisted indeed, although in reading I'm not 100% convinced it was the same woman. He's done either way - won't play again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect that's the end of Taylor's career in Sydney. If he's being charged it means the police feel there is enough evidence to support a case and seek a guilty verdict.
He is still innocent until proven guilty, that is a valuable legal position, but I would like to see stand down policy like the NRL has for situations like this.
I would also like to see the Swans offer up some sort of support package for his ex-girlfriend (or in this instance, his latest victim as it sounds like this was a different matter altogether).

"The no-fault stand down rule is rooted in the premise that, once a player is charged with a serious criminal offence, the continued participation of that player in the NRL will damage the best image, interests and welfare of the professional game."
"He'll be stood down under the no fault policy. He cannot play until the completion of that case," Greenberg said.
"This policy ensures he doesn't play but he can be around the team, be at training during the week and most importantly can take the services of that club via the welfare and services available to him. We think it's important for the club and player to have the opportunity to continue in the environment."

The no fault stand down policy though has a precursor, that the crime has to have the severity of a charge that carries a penalty of at least 11 years to automatically stand that player down.

The no fault stand down policy though has a precursor, that the crime has to have the severity of a charge that carries a penalty of at least 11 years to automatically stand that player down.

11? People can get way less for killing someone.

I doubt any type of assault without a weapon would get that either.

Nor any robbery short of a bank or armoured truck carrying millions.

Oh hey, you are correct - "Beattie said the criminal offences that apply to this rule are serious offences with a maximum jail term of 11 years or more."

Thanks for pointing that out. A quick look at WA law says the following about Aggravated Assault resulting in bodily harm, so you're correct that this wouldn't fall under that NRL policy.

"For cases heard in the District Court, the offence carries a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment; however, this may increase to 7 years imprisonment if the offence occurs in circumstances of aggravation. For cases heard in the Magistrates’ Court, the maximum penalty is 2 years imprisonment and a fine of $24,000, or, if the offence occurred in circumstances of aggravation, 3 years imprisonment and a fine of $36,000."

EDITED - What was DeGoey charged with in the end? Was it assault from an older charge or something new and minor? I can't remember. I think even if it was the sexual assault from a few years ago that maximum punishment is 10 years, so he wouldn't be stood down under this policy either.

Oh hey, you are correct - "Beattie said the criminal offences that apply to this rule are serious offences with a maximum jail term of 11 years or more."

Thanks for pointing that out. A quick look at WA law says the following about Aggravated Assault resulting in bodily harm, so you're correct that this wouldn't fall under that NRL policy.

"For cases heard in the District Court, the offence carries a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment; however, this may increase to 7 years imprisonment if the offence occurs in circumstances of aggravation. For cases heard in the Magistrates’ Court, the maximum penalty is 2 years imprisonment and a fine of $24,000, or, if the offence occurred in circumstances of aggravation, 3 years imprisonment and a fine of $36,000."

It would also mean that DeGoey wouldn't have been stood down either. He was charged with Indecent/Sexual Assault (depending on when the allegations were first made the charge is different but the punishment is the same)

Sexual assaults40Level 5 imprisonment (10 years)1/7/2015+
Indecent assaults39Level 5 imprisonment (10 years)1/9/1997 to 30/6/2015

Yep. The automatic stand down rule in the NRL sets a pretty high bar. Im also not sure how it works given each state sets their own penalties so there will be differences.

GBH in QLD stood down, GBH in VIC free to play. Etc.

For some reason I thought she was 19 but going back to the older articles, she is 18. Probably the same girl, assuming they both live in Perth. How they keep ending up in the same hotel is bizarre given that he is a bee's dick away from getting whacked by the club and she knows he is dangerous.

It's hard to understand, but these kind of toxic relationships quite often appear to last well beyond the first physical event. I'm sure that psychologists can explain it, but tough for the ordinary person.

It's hard to understand, but these kind of toxic relationships quite often appear to last well beyond the first physical event. I'm sure that psychologists can explain it, but tough for the ordinary person.

Oh yeah, a google search on why women don't just leave those situations can be very tough reading, often women don't feel strong enough to leave, or they feel like they can save the person they first loved, it's not an easy situation for the victim and what seems rational to somebody outside the situation doesn't occur to the people who are involved in it. Add in teenage love to that mix and I'm not surprised that she did something like meet up with him again.

Oh yeah, a google search on why women don't just leave those situations can be very tough reading, often women don't feel strong enough to leave, or they feel like they can save the person they first loved, it's not an easy situation for the victim and what seems rational to somebody outside the situation doesn't occur to the people who are involved in it. Add in teenage love to that mix and I'm not surprised that she did something like meet up with him again.

I'd have thought the less time of relationship, the easier it should be as there's less shared history, separate finances, no kids etc that would add to the difficulty with longer relationships.

I'd have thought the less time of relationship, the easier it should be as there's less shared history, separate finances, no kids etc that would add to the difficulty with longer relationships.

There are underlying factors, such as childhood family violence normalising these behaviours in future relationships, mental health, lack of agency due to intellectual disability... whole range of things.

I don't think it's ever that detached and transactional unfortunately. I understand where you're coming from, but that seems to be a rational approach to the situation where a person has already decided to leave and they're assessing what they need to do in order to facilitate that.

My understanding of the mindset of victims of domestic violence (which is not exhaustive by any means, but just by reading victims accounts) is that the most common reasons for staying are, in no particular order, they feel powerless without the abuser and do not think they are capable of surviving without them. They feel that only they can understand the abuser and that if they just do the right thing then they can make the abuser stop, and change for the better. they have been tormented so long that they feel that the deserve the abuse, that they have constantly done something wrong and what they are getting is what they deserve.

From an outsider looking in, those reasons for staying may seem patently absurd, but that doesn't make them any less real for the victim, and this is true of victims who are mature and otherwise successful adults. Lekhani Pearce is a teenager from suburban Perth who is now dealing with this situation under the glare of a national spotlight. While I'm an outsider looking in saying to myself that it isn't rational these things they are doing. I can understand that they probably aren't thinking rationally for a whole host of reasons. That would be especially true of an 18 year old girl like Pearce who has gone from having an allegedly abusive junior footballer boyfriend who nobody knew just 12 months ago, to being the current face of domestic violence in Australia who is copping significant amounts of abuse on social media. I can understand how she would be struggling with her decision making in such a scenario and I hope she is receiving the support that she needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back