AFL Autopsy ELIMINATION FINAL: Loss to the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder whether our problems with wet weather footy stem from a judgement that we're not likely to play in it (especially with a lot of our home games at Docklands) and we're better off putting time into other things.

24 games and it was really only this one and the Brisbane game that stand out as real wet weather footy

Also bigger bodies matter, having a younger more immature squad means wet weather footy isn’t the ideal setup. When we can run and move the ball quickly it doesn’t matter, when it’s just contest after contest after contest, all over the ground, it does.

Worst thing for me (maybe this happens a bit, but not in the games I went to this year) was the players yelling at each other and finger pointing. I get they were frustrated but it appeared a bit more than that. Hope it doesn't set us back a bit in the off season

Sheesh.

Mixture of run of the green with umps/flea weightman & not hitting scoreboard when tight, but most disappointingly we dropped the bundle & got pumped which pissed me off.

I thought we’d be bottom 4, so I’m positive, but there’s no excuse to not improve from here onwards now. We must be playing & winning finals next year.

Waterman in for Walla was a stupid decision from Truck.

No goals for an entire half. Abysmal.

Forward line needs a major shake up.

Midfield needs another player or two.

We did a few good things but yeah, pretty crap overall.

Waterman’s 4 last week was fraudulent & I hated how it got him a game ahead of walla this week.

Everyone picked us bottom 4. LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED.

To finish 8th any Bomber fan would have been pleasantly surprised especially with the off season losses and a rookie coach.

But this was at least a final and the chance for the playing list to get a reality check on how much better we need to be and a few pieces of the puzzle that still need addressing.

Full credit to the Doggies with their experienced mids and better skills in not so great conditions got a well deserved win.

Bomber fans be disappointed but stand tall. Still a way to go. But **** me we have some absolute guns and some young diamonds in this team.

This hopefully spurs everyone on to the next level and where we need to get to. And anyone can't say Truck hasn't had a great 1st year and has us going in the right direction whilst some other clubs are clearly spiralling out of control.

OK BOMBERS we're here level > ................ WE NOW NEED TO GO ^^^^^ level

LUKE PARKER PLEASE ASAP - give him Hooksy $$$$

If Franga goes Hurls plays back - if not he plays FF

People forget this is in reality Coxy, Perks, Reid, Brand, Eyre etc this was an Under 18 year for them as they played virtually NO FOOTBALL last year. I expect huge strides next year after a full on strength, conditioning program and pre season.

We had underdone players who had to play.

I love DRAPERMAN!

The Riddler plays like a 200 gamer not 50 games.

DP3 and Zerrett worked so ***** hard. I loved the efforts of the back 6/7.

People can get ****** about Shiel. Papley butchered the ball in perfect conditions yesterday. Get ********. He's down on confidence and a pre-season to sharpen things up will see him in good stead.

Caldwell and a few others ran out of puff but **** me you can't wallow in that. We had a real ****** crack.

The forward line is the puzzle that needs assembling. You go with kids or maybe find a Weidemann or ready made forward. I'd prefer the KIDS.

Be disappointed. But bloody hell we can go places now everyone realises HOW HARD YOU HAVE TO WORK TO MAKE IT.

Do the work, make the effort, put in the time and it'll happen. I BLEED RED AND BLACK FOREVER.

I wonder whether our problems with wet weather footy stem from a judgement that we're not likely to play in it (especially with a lot of our home games at Docklands) and we're better off putting time into other things.

24 games and it was really only this one and the Brisbane game that stand out as real wet weather footy

By the time guys get drafted they would have played a few games in the wet to have learned a bit about how to adapt to it.

I've read it on the Blitz so not sure how true it is but the players stay in the hanger if its raining.

my single post for the year:

1) Dogs were the better side
They are better drilled, and have a better system.

2) We have about 5 guys in the side who shouldn't be
They can be replaced.

3) The umpiring was worse than bad
It killed any chance we had

I had us as a 4-7 win team at the start of the year, we did so much better, and I"m glad we did. We are 3-4 good players away from competing.

Went in thinking we were more likely to lose than not but that was still really frustrating and in the end, deflating. But it shouldn't take away from what's been a really promising and overall positive year; just a bit of a reality check that there is a fair way to go.

Not seeing Stewart get a lot of love but thought he was great today, along with Parish, Draper and Laverde. Merrett and Cutler good too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

don't care what it says about me, i hope the Lions get a whole bunch of dodgy frees next week. they're good for it too :)
That was not finals umpiring. 3 games this weekend up to standard. We drew the wrong the team and the second the Lions made it, i knew we'd be in for this.

We got good experience into this group.
And this time round, it was nice to see the loss sting them, rather than feel like a job well done

Wanted to take my time and gather my thoughts on the game, I stopped watching in the third quarter as i just saw Gleeson and Cutler stinking up the place, and i'm glad i stopped watching cause we just fell away and turned prime Essington. Look we've had a great year, defied expectations of every person, including myself, i had us finishing 17th and we finished 8th. But i just can't help but feel the bulldogs where their for the taking, conceding dumb goals in that first quarter, was the signs that were telling me we ain't up for it today and it ended up being the beginning of our downfall this game. I don't know what the contractual situations are of Cutler, Gleeson but these guys are just not the level we need to be, if we're too be serious again.

A new forwards coach has to be the priority this off season, and glad that's being addressed by the club. Clarke being omitted was a very harsh call in hindsight, he would have been someone i would have used to tag Libba, who was extracting the ball for your Macraes, Bont's, Trealor, Etc... i just felt we played the conditions horribly, we were too passive with the ball movement, we desperately lack a crumbing small forward, Perkins, Snelling, Waterman, Smith just ain't it at the moment. Honeslty i thought our defense were gonna be too difficult for the doggies forwards to bully and get set shots on, but again they were poor. Seriously losing by 49 points to the dogs, when we had an in form ruckmen and midfield that were leading the comp in clearances, etc for a number of weeks to being belted today, by a team out of form and down in confidence, i feel Rutten has to be largely responsible for todays defeat, when a few players are out of form or playing bad as a coach you can't account for that, but when half the side are having a terrible game, the coach has to come in question, this performance looked like as if Worsfold was coaching the side, look i see potential with Rutten to be a good coach, and he's not as a bad as worsfold but i'm really not wanting to hear we'll learn from this, we've been learning for the last 17 years, just so angry as i felt this was a very winnable game, the doggies whilst were better than us today, aren't that great as a side if im gonna be honest, yes when they have their squad on song theyre great but i felt we missed a big opportunity this game to have a good run in this final series, i felt we could have made it to the prelim but off course we go out. Idk im so disappointed today, i feel more annoyed than the west coast, sydney and North Melbourne finals. In those games i felt we were never gonna win, in this game i fully believed we'd win, and than to dish up that to end a season, when we've been pretty competitive all year in most games.

Idk guys, when do we next win a finals game, there is is something inherently off abt this club when it faces adversity, it just crumbles and fades away, its like we've been jujed by some hoodoo, in my lifetime to not have even seen one finals win, just seen this club as mediocre, average for a long time, i've seen Carlscum, Collingwood, hawks, NM, dogs, Geelong, melbourne, st kilda, all these victorian clubs win finals, but we can't even. Last year i fell out love for this team, i hated watching us play, i hate seeing Richmond, Geelong, Hawthorn winning games, grand finals all the time, i've seen teams like Melborune, Brisbane and St Kilda few years back in a much wore state than us, turn it around and go on have success in September, but our club which is the most successful in the afl, can't even finish above 7th, win a final, its like this is our pinnacle of our potential as a club, i'm sorry if i'm sounding negative but i get depression from supporting this team, i always off put my studies just to watch us play, always getting mocked for us losing, and having no hope for change makes me feel horrible, i started supporting Essendon 10 years ago, when we were sitting 2nd along with the Hawks and cats, and we just always were winning, to then tread at the same level for all that time till now, i have no hope we will ever win a final, just not good enough, we're so irrelevant as a club, we will get a harder draw next season, finish 12th, look to the draft and make the odd occasional finals appearance, get slapped then rinse and repeat. I'm over it, if we don't fix up, in the next couple years, adelaide , NM, Carlton are gonna overtake us, then we will be in the same circumstance and asking ourselves when we will become a force again.

Last edited:
Wanted to take my time and gather my thoughts on the game, I stopped watching in the third quarter as i just saw Gleeson and Cutler stinking up the place, and i'm glad i stopped watching cause we just fell away and turned prime Essington. Look we've had a great year, defied expectations of every person, including myself, i had us finishing 17th and we finished 8th. But i just can't help but feel the bulldogs where their for the taking, conceding dumb goals in that first quarter, was the signs that were telling me we ain't up for it today and it ended up being the beginning of our downfall this game. I don't know what the contractual situations are of Cutler, Gleeson but these guys are just not the level we need to be, if we're too be serious again. A new forwards coach has to be the priority this off season, and glad that's being addressed by the club. Clarke being omitted was a very harsh call in hindsight, he would have been someone i would have used to tag Libba, who was extracting the ball for your Macraes, Bont's, Trealor, Etc... i just felt we played the conditions horribly, we were too passive with the ball movement, we desperately lack a crumbing small forward, Perkins, Snelling, Waterman, Smith just ain't it at the moment. Honeslty i thought our defense were gonna be too difficult for the doggies forwards to bully and get set shots on, but again they were poor. Seriously losing by 49 points to the dogs, when we had an in form ruckmen and midfield that were leading the comp in clearances, etc for a number of weeks to being belted today, by a team out of form and down in confidence, i feel Rutten has to be largely responsible for todays defeat, when a few players are out of form or playing bad as a coach you can't account for that, but when half the side are having a terrible game, the coach has to come in question, this performance looked like as if Worsfold was coaching the side, look i see potential with Rutten to be a good coach, and he's not as a bad as worsfold but i'm really not wanting to hear we'll learn from this, we've been learning for the last 17 years, just so angry as i felt this was a very winnable game, the doggies whilst were better than us today, aren't that great as a side if im gonna be honest, yes when they have their squad on song theyre great but i felt we missed a big opportunity this game to have a good run in this final series, i felt we could have made it to the prelim but off course we go out. Idk im so disappointed today, i feel more annoyed than the west coast, sydney and North Melbourne finals. In those games i felt we were never gonna win, in this game i fully believed we'd win, and than to dish up that to end a season, when we've been pretty competitive all year in most games. Idk guys, when do we next win a finals game, there is is something inherently off abt this club when it faces adversity, it just crumbles and fades away, its like we've been jujed by some hoodoo, in my lifetime to not have even seen one finals win, just seen this club as mediocre, average for a long time, i've seen Carlscum, Collingwood, hawks, NM, dogs, Geelong, melbourne, st kilda, all these victorian clubs win finals, but we can't even. Last year i fell out love for this team, i hated watching us play, i hate seeing Richmond, Geelong, Hawthorn winning games, grand finals all the time, i've seen teams like Melborune, Brisbane and St Kilda few years back in a much wore state than us, turn it around and go on have success in September, but our club which is the most successful in the afl, can't even finish above 7th, win a final, its like this is our pinnacle of our potential as a club, i'm sorry if i'm sounding negative but i get depression from supporting this team, i always off put my studies just to watch us play, always getting mocked for us losing, and having no hope for change makes me feel horrible, i started supporting Essendon 10 years ago, when we were sitting 2nd along with the Hawks and cats, and we just always were winning, to then tread at the same level for all that time till now, i have no hope we will ever win a final, just not good enough, we're so irrelevant as a club, we will get a harder draw next season, finish 12th, look to the draft and make the odd occasional finals appearance, get slapped then rinse and repeat. I'm over it, if we don't fix up, in the next couple years, adelaide , NM, Carlton are gonna overtake us, then we will be in the same circumstance and asking ourselves when we will become a force again.
Would you mind splitting that into paragraphs? Really tricky to read :\ Sorry

The sight of Cody Weightman’s head will forever have the same effect on me that Drew Petrie’s does.

Gutted for the boys who gave their all today and throughout the season. Just outworked and outclassed in the end by a more experienced side. Dogs had 9 days to work out our game plan - they ended up simply flooding back when the game was on to deny Wright, plus getting on the end of some very dubious frees that let the pressure off majorly. Dogs were top 2 all year and the pressure was on them to survive this week. Think our boys gave them a good scare.

Disappointed with the way the season ended up but just need to say I am so proud of these lads. Their effort all year to get this far with all the injuries, inexperience and interstate games. Can only be positive about this game and this season. Get another 20-30 games into some of these kids and we are on.

Our top three today:
Parish. Claimed his status as a top mid. Deserved AA and multiple-medal winner.
Ridley. Plays like a 250 gamer.
Draper. Speechless. Beast.

Looking forward:
The return of Walla, Jones and Langers to our forward line. Smart, efficient, accurate players that improve our side immensely.
Integrating Reid and Bryan into the team. Teams will envy our talls.
Continuing to develop this Essendon identity and culture under Truck. Think he's done an outstanding job so far.

Onwards and upwards. Love this team. 🤟
Go Dons

Wanted to take my time and gather my thoughts on the game, I stopped watching in the third quarter as i just saw Gleeson and Cutler stinking up the place, and i'm glad i stopped watching cause we just fell away and turned prime Essington. Look we've had a great year, defied expectations of every person, including myself, i had us finishing 17th and we finished 8th. But i just can't help but feel the bulldogs where their for the taking, conceding dumb goals in that first quarter, was the signs that were telling me we ain't up for it today and it ended up being the beginning of our downfall this game. I don't know what the contractual situations are of Cutler, Gleeson but these guys are just not the level we need to be, if we're too be serious again.

A new forwards coach has to be the priority this off season, and glad that's being addressed by the club. Clarke being omitted was a very harsh call in hindsight, he would have been someone i would have used to tag Libba, who was extracting the ball for your Macraes, Bont's, Trealor, Etc... i just felt we played the conditions horribly, we were too passive with the ball movement, we desperately lack a crumbing small forward, Perkins, Snelling, Waterman, Smith just ain't it at the moment. Honeslty i thought our defense were gonna be too difficult for the doggies forwards to bully and get set shots on, but again they were poor. Seriously losing by 49 points to the dogs, when we had an in form ruckmen and midfield that were leading the comp in clearances, etc for a number of weeks to being belted today, by a team out of form and down in confidence, i feel Rutten has to be largely responsible for todays defeat, when a few players are out of form or playing bad as a coach you can't account for that, but when half the side are having a terrible game, the coach has to come in question, this performance looked like as if Worsfold was coaching the side, look i see potential with Rutten to be a good coach, and he's not as a bad as worsfold but i'm really not wanting to hear we'll learn from this, we've been learning for the last 17 years, just so angry as i felt this was a very winnable game, the doggies whilst were better than us today, aren't that great as a side if im gonna be honest, yes when they have their squad on song theyre great but i felt we missed a big opportunity this game to have a good run in this final series, i felt we could have made it to the prelim but off course we go out. Idk im so disappointed today, i feel more annoyed than the west coast, sydney and North Melbourne finals. In those games i felt we were never gonna win, in this game i fully believed we'd win, and than to dish up that to end a season, when we've been pretty competitive all year in most games.

Idk guys, when do we next win a finals game, there is is something inherently off abt this club when it faces adversity, it just crumbles and fades away, its like we've been jujed by some hoodoo, in my lifetime to not have even seen one finals win, just seen this club as mediocre, average for a long time, i've seen Carlscum, Collingwood, hawks, NM, dogs, Geelong, melbourne, st kilda, all these victorian clubs win finals, but we can't even. Last year i fell out love for this team, i hated watching us play, i hate seeing Richmond, Geelong, Hawthorn winning games, grand finals all the time, i've seen teams like Melborune, Brisbane and St Kilda few years back in a much wore state than us, turn it around and go on have success in September, but our club which is the most successful in the afl, can't even finish above 7th, win a final, its like this is our pinnacle of our potential as a club, i'm sorry if i'm sounding negative but i get depression from supporting this team, i always off put my studies just to watch us play, always getting mocked for us losing, and having no hope for change makes me feel horrible, i started supporting Essendon 10 years ago, when we were sitting 2nd along with the Hawks and cats, and we just always were winning, to then tread at the same level for all that time till now, i have no hope we will ever win a final, just not good enough, we're so irrelevant as a club, we will get a harder draw next season, finish 12th, look to the draft and make the odd occasional finals appearance, get slapped then rinse and repeat. I'm over it, if we don't fix up, in the next couple years, adelaide , NM, Carlton are gonna overtake us, then we will be in the same circumstance and asking ourselves when we will become a force again.

If you’ve taken your time to gather your thoughts, maybe include a full stop occasionally.

TLTR

Remove this Banner Ad

Back