AFL Autopsy Elimination Final: Loss to the Weagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Am i the only one who thinks maybe it's time to start a mini rebuild and try and enforce a new culture at the club? I mean, in the last several years the one consistent variable in all of these elimination final smashing and inconsistent seasons has been of course the players. Maybe it's time to move a few of them on and start again. I personally would rather watch us in a rebuilding phase then scraping into finals and getting torn a new one every year. of course i am just a pleb in the grand scheme of things so what do i know

we dont have ANY culture, havent for a while.

the problem with us is that mediocre performances have been accepted for far too long. Finishing in the finals is deemed to be successful regardless if we get pumped out in the first round. Have a look at Wooshas press conference. Total BS.

Maybe one of the unfortunate side effects from the drug saga is we are too easy on players now, too caring.

The fact we left out D Clarke who has finally given us a presence on the inside that we screamed for while playing Hams, who don't get me wrong looks like a potential gem on the outside, is baffling.

Zach Merrett needs to take a ******* good long hard look in a mirror. That was putrid from someone I would expect so much more from

It’s not the first time, either. This is what I said in 2017 and the response from Mike14, who apparently didn’t understand that being born a competitor doesn’t mean you stay one for life.

It's not about talent. It's about culture. Our coach needs to stop giving games to players who don't give 100%. Think about Zach Merrett. He's in our top 2 players and he gave less than 100% today because our culture doesn't expect it of him and it's not really his fault. We've been gifting games to the likes of Jetta, Dempsey, McVeigh, Hille, Zaka, Watson, Melksham, Myers, Lovett, Lovett-Murray, Laycock despite periods of poor, heartless defensive efforts from each of them.

If we keep doing this, it will eventually have an effect on Merrett, Parish and McGrath, who are born competitors. It's the biggest risk facing our club and we will never win a premiership while we lack courage at the selection table.

Forget inside bull midfielders. They can't help us if we don't change our own expectations.

So to confirm: if we dont fix our 'culture' it may have an effect on Merrett, even though it apparently already has, because despite being a birn competitor he didn't compete...?

It's disappointing that it feels like the players and coaches knew before the ball was bounced that this game would be too hard to win and they played like it.

Woosha has already excused the loss and declared the season a success, Fantasia echoed his thoughts as well.

Without hearing it John Worsfold's post game talk to the players was really positive and he was proud of the effort that they displayed, I reckon Heppell said "Let's learn from it crack in and do the work"

They will go off on holidays now and comeback next year to do it all again.

It’s not the first time, either. This is what I said in 2017 and the response from Mike14, who apparently didn’t understand that being born a competitor doesn’t mean you stay one for life.

Lol did it cut you deep?

It's disappointing that it feels like the players and coaches knew before the ball was bounced that this game would be too hard to win and they played like it.

Woosha has already excused the loss and declared the season a success, Fantasia echoed his thoughts as well.

Without hearing it John Worsfold's post game talk to the players was really positive and he was proud of the effort that they displayed, I reckon Heppell said "Let's learn from it crack in and do the work"

They will go off on holidays now and comeback next year to do it all again.
Limping into finals with the % of a bottom 4 team before once again getting schooled. This is what success looks like at this club now.

We need stronger leadership on and off the field.

Move on Worsfold, Skipworth, Harding and both corrigans.

BC 33 is already coming.
Rutten is probably the front runner for the job.
I would enquire about Chris Newman or Adam Yze.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't agree that it comes down to Woosha, I agree in regards to the coaching group as a whole and bringing Caracella and Rutten have and will be beneficial to rectifying that. I think we should let Woosha see out the contract year and build with him. If the coach did get the chop though, then personally (and I'll be howled down by a few) I would give Sam Mitchell a close look.. Just something about him imo that I think he will be a very good coach.

Limping into finals with the % of a bottom 4 team before once again getting schooled. This is what success looks like at this club now.
Everyone hates people using injuries as an excuse... I think that's because it's seen to take away from the mystique of the game, as if it becomes too numerical or something. Well tough. It is what it is.
1. JD - Our biggest moment in drafting history and acclaimed future super star of the game.
2. Smith - best pressure player in the team, reigning crichton medalist.
3. Hurley - Played as a liability
4. Fantasia - Unable to accelerate, basically a liability.
5. Gleeson - Best on ground in last final appearance, crucial to our backline with Hurley stuffed.
6. Zaka - Say what you will, he is running foot soldier and has outstanding games at times. Is always best 22.
As the icing on the cake we had another few players underdone.

Now that's not the worst injury list or anything, but it is the sort of injury list that shows up the depth. How a rookie like Hams got a game is emblematic. Insert 3 of those players back into the side and we would have been competitive last night against the reigning premiers who played every inch that way.
Same is true of the season. With an average injury list instead of a terrible one, we would have pushed top four.
So people calling out Woosha or the game plan or individual players can go shove it up their arses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for a good game and your WA fans always turn out and make it a good atmosphere.

I haven't seen too much of your side this year but McGrath's class sticks out like a sore thumb from what I've seen. Redman is also a talent and I hope he plays every game next year. An absolutely bone crunching tackle on Nelson right in front of me!

Best of luck for next year.

West coast smashed us in repeat sprint efforts. That hurts. In saying that generally i dont think the players lack effort. But our effort is continually wasted by blatant turnovers, critical decision making errors and poor skill execution. It must be so deflating for the players. West Coast chose the right option at least 70 percent of the time in my opinion. It felt like a fluke if we managed to hit a target at all. Our basic skill execution requires major attention. And I really hope Blake Caracella can teach us how to move the football properly.

I'm thinking about making up some faux EFC campaign t-shirts with the catch phrase "Key Learnings 2020" with a dull faced John, old mate Langers doing the shoey and the Myers/Hepp larf images.
Who wants one?
Might as well take the piss just like our club does with its members.

As someone else said a broom need to be swept through the place. A total reevaluation from the coaches to fitness staff to the players. They probably need to get someone external to the club to do a review, as it's obvious everyone internal can't see the forest for the trees.

Apologies to Worsfold, it was a s**t assignment to come in under the circumstances that he did, but if he's not the best person to take us forward the club should bite the bullet pay him out and get someone else in who has a fresh perspective.

And I think the players have been handled with kid gloves too much. I know some of them went through an awful lot a few years ago, but now's the time to harden up and move on. We won't ever succeed with a touchy feely softly softly approach.

I haven’t seen any stats or heard any commentary but from the cheap seats it appeared the game pretty much went to script.
25-60 point loss but never really in it.
It appeared that we tried, but we were simply shut down and outclassed.
Crushed at stoppages/missed tackles/numbers/hunger.
Any kick into our forward half was either putrid or tailor made for the Barass and McGovern set up.
No run and gun from back half.
Poor defensive pressure allowed Eagles to move the ball seamlessly.
The back breaking switch kick in the defensive half that became a turnover reared it’s head quite a few times.

We’re so ******* mired in mediocrity I actually caught myself standing there clapping the campaigners off the ground tonight, something that’s made my sick in the past when others have done similar. But I don’t see an end to our woes at the moment and I felt for the players wandering off tonight because they now embody our culture of failure, they’ve absorbed it.
I love this club, I pay for 3 memberships a year and almost never sit in my seats and I’ll continue to do so. The success will be worth it when it (if it ever) comes, but for fu** sake the EFC leads me to despair sometimes.

See you in 2020
And what great seats they are too Iggy! Let us know if you aren't coming to watch us lose again on ANZAC day next year!

Last edited:
I don't agree that it comes down to Woosha, I agree in regards to the coaching group as a whole and bringing Caracella and Rutten have and will be beneficial to rectifying that. I think we should let Woosha see out the contract year and build with him. If the coach did get the chop though, then personally (and I'll be howled down by a few) I would give Sam Mitchell a close look.. Just something about him imo that I think he will be a very good coach.

Weather we think he should go or stay, the club have made up their minds. And will keep him on.
Na once a player is finished his career as a player, and goes into coaching they tend to hit the reset button! If Sam Mitchell was available I’d throw the book at him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back