Unofficial Preview Elimination Final - Sydney Swans V Greater Western Sydney Giants @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GWS will be wearing their home strip apparently. Putrid decision.

Imagine for one moment if norf had been successful in their attempt to play home games in Sydney all those years ago, we could have had them as our cross-town rival (another reason to make fun of them) and there would have been no colour clash!

Zac Williams - 0 senior games all year
Toby Greene - 7 senior games all year, less than 4 full games in the last 4.5 months
Brett Deledio - 9 senior games all year, less than 3 full games in the last 4.5 months
Josh Kelly - less than 2 full games in the last month

GWS are still capable and all these players are capable of contributing and doing more because they're good players, but I can't see any of these guys torching us given their spotty preparations.

All this is to say, have some confidence in the club! We've beaten GWS the last 3 times, they're missing other key players and have loss two in a row against finals sides (one of which was us) leading into the finals while we've played quite well and beaten finals sides along with a close loss to Hawthorn. We're in a good position.

Thats pretty ballsy Leon Cameron playing 4 underdone players in a cut throat final actually its insane.

Watch it work for them :rolleyes:

We should win comfortably. We're at home, we have more finals experience, plus GWS are playing a number of underdone players, and we beat them in both previous games this year.

What? Why is that? This is our home final...

They did in 2016, which was also our home final (despite it being played at ANZ). Their colours kind of clash with ours, but kind of don't (the orange clashes with the red, but the charcoal doesn't clash with white). GWS wearing their predominantly white away strip against us at the SCG earlier this year made it slightly better but not much, as we have white in our home jumper.

We should win comfortably. We're at home, we have more finals experience, plus GWS are playing a number of underdone players, and we beat them in both previous games this year.

I agree we should win but I'd push back on comfortably. We don't win comfortably against finals sides. I'm expecting an 8-14 point win.

Most statistical models are leaning towards the Giants, even before the teams are named.

It's a coin toss.

there best is better than ours.

we really need to hewett, cunningham and (dare is say) robbo to shut down a few of there prime movers. maybe ward, kelly and whitfield.

We've beaten GWS the last three times we've played them. We've shown we can effectively shut down their time and space over the course of a game. I expect us to win this week again against a side with a lot of players who have missed a lot of football this year.
Being at the SCG though, this is an Away game for us.

GWS will be wearing their home strip apparently. Putrid decision.
Why does this remind me of "Whispering Ted" (Ted Lowe) the BBC snooker commentator of the show "Pot Black" who said
"And for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."
o_O:huh:
OK this was back in the 1970s when the majority of you were not born, and have never seen a black and white TV set. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And we have a premiership coach remember

GWS should easily be favourites, we will have to play at our absolute best AND hope they are 5-10% off. Their best is better than ours.
Load up on them as you don't have a problem betting against your own team to get a result on the punt do you ? They shouldn't be favourites at all. It is a Final at our home ground which does not suit them regardless of win loss there this year, we have beaten them twice this year and regardless of their injury list we haven't exactly been at full strength either and as far as their best being better than ours we haven't seen our best this year and this may be the week. They have skill and speed but they also have a shitload of underdone players. What they don't have is Finals Hardened players or the character of our players. They don't warrant favouritism. This will be no walk in the park but go ahead back your favourites but you won't be collecting.

Why does this remind me of "Whispering Ted" (Ted Lowe) the BBC snooker commentator of the show "Pot Black" who said
"And for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."
o_O:huh:
OK this was back in the 1970s when the majority of you were not born, and have never seen a black and white TV set. :rolleyes:
I most certainly remember Whispering Ted Lowe.

And I remember Inside Football discussing which VFL teams were ready for the advent of colour TV.

Zac Williams - 0 senior games all year
Toby Greene - 7 senior games all year, less than 4 full games in the last 4.5 months
Brett Deledio - 9 senior games all year, less than 3 full games in the last 4.5 months
Josh Kelly - less than 2 full games in the last month
GWS are still capable and all these players are capable of contributing and doing more because they're good players, but I can't see any of these guys torching us given their spotty preparations.

All this is to say, have some confidence in the club! We've beaten GWS the last 3 times, they're missing other key players and have loss two in a row against finals sides (one of which was us) leading into the finals while we've played quite well and beaten finals sides along with a close loss to Hawthorn. We're in a good position.
Shop early as they say and hit in hard on their bodies. All above board disciplined physical Football. Kill their underdone bodies early and as the game drags on they will wilt. Mind does funny things under duress. Every hit feels like a sledgehammer and every extra step you have to take feels like a Marathon. Franklin and Parker have been rested but they have miles in the legs like the rest of the blokes currently playing in this team. Sure it is a fair way off our strongest possible line up but it is durable and is primed. No excuses.

Our "injury updates" look like a Netflix trailer for a new sci-fi series (minus the production values).

Hope Reid gets a run in the 2s. If we get past GWS and the semi he'd be a viable option for the Prelim.

Buddy and Nosey are sure to be listed as "Test", but I would be stunned if they do not both play.
Buddy and Nosey ,are sure to play. Reid will play in 2s, but errant long blade of grass will make him trip up and break something or other!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back