Preview Elimination Final: Sydney vs Essendon, SCG, Saturday 09/09/17 @ 4:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Sydney: Coming off a good win, were challenged early by the Blues to only be 12 points up at the main break but hit back in the second half, rounding out a 13 goal win. Josh Kennedy starred with 30 disposals in the middle but Buddy Franklin stole the show and the Coleman with 10 goals.

Essendon: Had a tight 15 point win against Fremantle, but despite the modest scoreline, the Dons lead from start to finish. Zach Merrett was best afield again, gathering the ball 31 times and kicked 4 important goals whilst James Stewart was very good, booting 4 goals for the Dons.

Head to Head (last 5)

Sydney 5-0 Essendon

Form Guide

Sydney: 4W, 1L
Essendon: 4W, 1L

Sportsbet odds

Sydney: $1.22
Essendon: $4.35
Line: 20.5 ($1.92)

Possible sides

Sydney vs Essendon

B: McGrath - Hartley - Ambrose
F: Hewett - Tippett - Reid
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Kelly
HF: Rohan - Franklin - Towers
C: Parish - Watson - Heppell
C: Heeney - Kennedy - Lloyd
HF: McDonald-Tipungwuti - Daniher - Fantasia
HB: Newman - Melican - McVeigh
F: Stewart - Hooker - Begley
B: Rampe - Grundy - Smith
R: Bellchambers - Goddard - Zaharakis
R: Sinclair - Parker - Jack
I: McKenna - Baguley - Myers - Z Merrett
I: Hannebery - Papley - Jones - Mills

Sydney defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon's forward line has been excellent this year, kicking a goal 28% of the time it enters forward 50, ranked 2nd overall in the AFL. Sydney's defence has been brilliant as well, conceding a goal 22% of the time it enters their defensive 50. Essendon will be welcoming back two vital forwards in Cale Hooker and Orazio Fantasia, as well as Joe Daniher, who's only final resulted in 4 goals, but will be up against very strong key defender Heath Grundy, who beat him last time these teams met. Hooker against Melican will be crucial for the Dons, with the big man missing the last time these teams met, and Melican getting the better of Shaun McKernan. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti has been down on his best recently, but hope the return of Fantasia will allow him to be a bit better than the past few weeks

Midfield/rucks battle

This is where the difference will truly lie between the two sides, and unfortunately it'll be likely to be in Sydney's favour. Sydney are 7th in both clearance and contested possession differential, which is why they're so good at winning at the SCG, whereas Essendon are 14th and 10th respectively. Sydney' ball winners of Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker, Kieran Jack and Daniel Hannebery pose quite possibly the most potent inside midfield in the league, with players like Isaac Heeney and Jake Lloyd also doing their fair share of work inside. Essendon don't have that power with Watson no longer at his best but the inclusions of Myers from the last time the two sides faced off might be very important, as well as the usual suspects of Dyson Heppell and David Zaharakis at the coal face. On the outside is where Essendon will hope to get on top of Sydney, with the run and gun of the likes of Andrew McGrath, Conor McKenna and Darcy Parish but the small Sydney ground will be an important factor. Rucks wise, Tom Bellchambers will be very important, his last start was excellent and crucial, whereas Sinclair isn't quite as strong as Bellchambers in the ruck.

Sydney forward line vs Essendon defence

Essendon's defence has been one of the best in the game, conceding a goal 23% of the time it enters defensive 50. Sydney's forward group is excellent, kicking a goal 26% of the time it enters their forward 50. Lance Franklin will be the main man for Sydney, but was held goalless against the Bombers last time by Michael Hartley, who will be looking to repeat the dose after a much improved second half of the season. Kurt Tippett has also been down this season and will likely take on Michael Hurley, who i likely to be named All Australian very soon, which leaves Paddy Ambrose going head to head with Sam Reid. The main small for Sydney if Papley doesn't play will be Gary Rohan, who Martin Gleeson will be keen to snatch revenge on if the match ups lean that way after Rohan snatched victory from the jaws of defeat against Gleeson last time.

X-Factor Player

David Myers is playing his 100th game for the club at long last and has been a very important inclusion to the side, his contested work has lifted Essendon up a notch and it will be vital that it happens again in two weeks.

Key stat

Sydney: Defensive efficiency. Teams that shut Essendon's forward efficiency down go a long way to winning the game, and Sydney are the masters of it.

Essendon: Clearances. Must win against Sydney, simple as that.

Tip

I can't see Essendon's midfield getting close enough to Sydney's, Sydney by 22

Last edited:

In: Hurley, Hooker, Fantasia
Out: Laverde, Hocking, Colyer

B: Ambrose - Hartley - Gleeson
HB: McKenna - Hurley - McGrath
C: Parish - Myers - Zaharakis
HF: Begley - Daniher - Stewart
F: Fantasia - Hooker - McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Bellchambers - Heppell - Merrett
I/C: Watson - Goddard - Kelly - Baguley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans will be heavy favourites and they deserve to be.
Essendon needs Fantasia, Hurley and Hooker to be fit and apply ferocious pressure and defend well to be a chance.
Whatever happens very happy the side made finals so now the young players can see what it really takes to be a successful side.

I do think this will be a really tough match to win but at least we will have something very close to our best side out on the park.

The week off will really help freshen up some of our guys and our last game against Sydney up there will give us some confidence.

We will absolutely need our forward line to get on top to have a chance.

I'm super excited to get Fantasia, Hurley and Hooker back as well. That's 3 of our top 10 players right there.

I think one of the most important players for us will be Bellchambers. Sydney have a weak ruck division so if he can stand up it could really help make up a lot of the difference in the midfield.

Why's it taking so long for the AFL to release the fixture, on Monday they would have sat down and drawn up every mathematically possible fixture and already have it ready to go.

No repeat of North, Carlton and Adelaide please. Kthxbye - see you soon September Football

Hoping Gleeson destroys Rohan at some point.

In: Hurley, Hooker, Fanta
Out: Laverde, Hocking, Kelly

Bags Hartley Ambrose
McKenna Hurley Gleeson
McGrath Merrett Parish
Begley Daniher Tippa
Fantasia Hooker Stewart
TBC Heppell Watson
Goddard Zaka Colyer Myers

I would be tempted to drop Watson and keep Laverde to give the kid a taste of finals.
Win or lose you think he'd be the better for knowing what the pressure is like.

Quite a number of finals debutants.

Hoping Gleeson destroys Rohan at some point.

In: Hurley, Hooker, Fanta
Out: Laverde, Hocking, Kelly

Bags Hartley Ambrose
McKenna Hurley Gleeson
McGrath Merrett Parish
Begley Daniher Tippa
Fantasia Hooker Stewart
TBC Heppell Watson
Goddard Zaka Colyer Myers

I would be tempted to drop Watson and keep Laverde to give the kid a taste of finals.
Win or lose you think he'd be the better for knowing what the pressure is like.

Quite a number of finals debutants.
We're not dropping Jobe now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back