Preview Elimination Final: Sydney vs Essendon, SCG, Saturday 09/09/17 @ 4:20 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love this from the smh, like mcpharlaine detailing how he played buddy

"It was an absolute focus of never letting him get behind me," McPharlin said. "Every time he tried to turn into the space I'd put a lot of physical work into him and also tried to work back harder than he was so I could keep an eye on where he was going.

"Once he is out the back you can't stop him – he is too fast and he will kick it from anywhere.

"Yes you would defend the lead up on the wing or inside 50, but in the general play it was keeping him up in front of me.That cut out an element of his game that was so strong."

That, for a big key forward, is a unique strength to have, McPharlin said. Not many, if any, that McPharlin played on were so good at getting out the back while defending Buddy in a contested mark situation was not as worrying.

Unique, too, was his stoppage ability: "His strength of working as a midfielder and wrapping around the stoppage and snapping goals was always something to work on. I'd get on his left shoulder, because he likes to wrap that way, and you'd try some deft body work to try and get him to not time his run right and knock him off balance.

"Typically the big key forwards don't get involved in the stoppages.

McPharlin has quite a bit of success on Franklin, keeping him to one goal in the 2013 grand final and two goals in the Dockers' round four win over Sydney in 2015, for example, a game where Franklin threatened to kick a bag.

Instead of following Franklin up the field when he began his forays into the middle, McPharlin let teammates like Michael Johnson or Garrick Ibbotson take him past 70 metres from goal.

"It is largely about up the field. In better days, with a team defence full of forward line and midfield pressure, that helps a lot," he said.

"So much footy comes his way so you know once the ball gets forward of centre they will always look for him.You're very aware the ball is coming your way all the time."

http://amp.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...lin-to-snatch-sydney-win-20170908-gydgb7.html

Reckon that's brilliant analysis, shows how much work and skill players put in.

Peak toey levels haven't quite been reached yet but I'm getting there.

I suspect by about 3pm tomorrow I'll probably be like Marshall Erickson when he drunk the Tantrum and started ripping phone books with his bare hands.

I anticipate they will rise by the time the boys and I land in sydney tomorrow.

CARN BOMBERS!!!!!!!

**** i'm getting excited now

i just yelled "come on campaigners" at a stranger

Me too, still pinching myself that swmbo gave the boys and I a leave pass for the weekend!

Come on you black and red campaigners, get some!!!

pls win. The lads I usually go to the footy with went up and due to getting married I couldn't go.

It shouldn't make me as sad as it does.

It's natural.

I would be there but have had some expenses and cash flow hasn't been great.

I still wish I went.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

pls win. The lads I usually go to the footy with went up and due to getting married I couldn't go.

It shouldn't make me as sad as it does.

There was a 5 week period where I told my wife we couldn't get married...

Herald sun trolling as per usual, hurley starting on the bench? Please.

Excited. Don't reckon we're Sydney's first choice to play.
Other teams should be barracking for us!
Buddy kicked 10 last game? Was it 10? That's favourable given he doesn't normally link the good games up.
DAMN! Just did it.
Predicted GOOD games: Ambrose, Stewart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excited. Don't reckon we're Sydney's first choice to play.
Other teams should be barracking for us!
Buddy kicked 10 last game? Was it 10? That's favourable given he doesn't normally link the good games up.
DAMN! Just did it.
Predicted GOOD games: Ambrose, Stewart.

Essendon definitely is not the ideal team for the Swans, but I have faith in god (otherwise known as Buddy Franklin).

Ohhhh that's the reason you can't go. Good plan not getting married in September though. And I definitely know there is no cheap way out of a wedding.
Plenty of cheap ways.

Tuesday wedding saved us heaps. So did having a cocktail party rather than a sit down reception. No seating plan to worry about either.

Back on topic though, let's hope we get the Sydney from the start of the year.

The weeks break may work in essendons favor more then what people think.

2015 - round 13 after bye: sydney lose to richmond at the SCG by 18 points

2016- round 15 after bye lose to Western Bulldogs at the SCG by 4 points

2016 - first final after week break: lose by 36 points to GWS

2017 - beat bulldogs at scg by 46 points, however the match before the bye they were massively upset by hawks at SCG.

Sydney are due for a loss ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back