Remove this Banner Ad

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
After a break out season in 2015, Eliot yeo has quickly become a fan favourite. At the start of this season many tipped yeo to take the next step and solidify him self as a genuine star of the side. however, there has been great debate to where Yeo should be utilised. The aim of this tab is to track his progression and discuss where his best position is. My preference is for him to play the mid/fwd role

R1: 20 touches(11 contested), 1 goal, 4 clearances, 9 tackles, 6 inside 50's. Played in the midfielder and went under the radar a bit.
R2: 13 touches, 2 tackles and 1 inside 50. Looked lost and had a shocker.
R3: 21 touches, 8 tackles , 4 iside 50's and 2 tackles. went head to head with nat fyfe and minimized his impact. He also looked very damaging with ball in hand.
R4: 25 touches (13 contested), 7 clearances, 8 inside 50's, 9 marks and 2.3 goals. yeo's first dominant game for 2016 and looks dangerous.
R5: 17 touches, 3 clearances, 5 tackles, 5 inside 50's and 1 goal. Kicked one amazing goal but stats make his performance look better than what it actually was.
R6: had tonsillitis and was a late out :(

Last edited:
Has been very solid without wowing, happy for him to continue to perform as he has and mix in a few break out games. Another option, can swing forward if needed, hard body at the contest. Tough thing is fitting two of Redden, Priddis and Yeo in the same midfield - not that they've not all got individual strengths between them but a very same-y hard bodied midfield group there.

Hard to say from TV, but does appear to get a little lost (or is it an issue of fitness and not covering metres like others do?)

I have a lot of hope for him.

We should have him follow D.Martin this week. Nullify him and the tigers are a lot easier to beat. (captain obvious I know but it'll keep Yeo near the ball and that may be the best plan for him this year)
I suggested the same thing in another thread. At the moment he seems lost playing offensive but when playing on a gun mid, he nullifies them but also wins his own ball. i guess its good cause he's learning from the best. I guess in the next month or so it would be good for him to play and learn off the likes of martin, parker, kennedy, pendlebury and dangerfield.

He's a better defender than a mid or half forward

He runs well in straight lines and I think his defensive spoils are huge also

I think he can play some midfield but not sure he's a pure mid

Could he play an Andrew Embley role? Yes high half forward and some midfield.

He can play anywhere and I don't mind that, he doesn't need a defined role in our team.

I feel like he's got all the tools to be a success as a mid, but lacks the nous as to where to run and position himself a lot of the time.

Maybe that's why Simmo instructed him to follow Fyfe around (to an extent) on the weekend.
This exactly he can learn where to run and if not he just follows someone who already does

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's still inconsistent (in and out of the game too much), so a run-with/head-2-head role with the games best would probably be a good thing in that it would likely keep him around the action and hopefully allow him to learn from those players. Doesn't hurt that he's a good tackler and has good defensive skills.

He's still inconsistent (in and out of the game too much), so a run-with/head-2-head role with the games best would probably be a good thing in that it would likely keep him around the action and hopefully allow him to learn from those players. Doesn't hurt that he's a good tackler and has good defensive skills.

One thing i found shocking on the weekend was just how strong nat fyfe is. He rag dolled Yeo a couple of times and pushed mackenzie out of the way as well. Made if feel even better when priddis had him pinned to the ground.

One thing i found shocking on the weekend was just how strong nat fyfe is. He rag dolled Yeo a couple of times and pushed mackenzie out of the way as well. Made if feel even better when priddis had him pinned to the ground.
fyfe has bulked up heaps in the last 2 years. He was around yeo's size in 2014. Tho yeo is extremely strong for his size and there were some big tackles on fyfe on saturday.

A real utility type which every team needs but me preference with Yeo is to play him as a mid/fwd. Liked that he ran with Fyfe against the Dockers and considering we don't have a genuine shut down player that could become his role.

Like Jaded said hopefully we see him put some work into Martin on Friday than a midfielder like Kennedy when we play the Swans in R5.

A real utility type which every team needs but me preference with Yeo is to play him as a mid/fwd. Liked that he ran with Fyfe against the Dockers and considering we don't have a genuine shut down player that could become his role.

Like Jaded said hopefully we see him put some work into Martin on Friday than a midfielder like Kennedy when we play the Swans in R5.
martins a good match up but it wouldn't hurt having him on kennedy at times either. I guess his likely match up is parker against the swans.

True, but Yeo is still quite slight IMHO. Fyfe's taken his time getting there, I'm hoping Yeo and the WCE training staff are using Fyfe as the template here.

True, but Yeo is still quite slight IMHO. Fyfe's taken his time getting there, I'm hoping Yeo and the WCE training staff are using Fyfe as the template here.
Thats what i thought. But i think they want to build his tank where he can consistently run our 4qts of footy, before bulking him up. Also he extremely strong for his size so he doesnt need to put too much bulk on.

People r still making comparisons to Fyfe? Embarrassing yourselves. Two only have height in common. Hardly enough for a comparison. Yeo will also never have body of Fyfe. Terms of weight and muscle gain, Fyfe is an exception.

Not to mention Fyfe is 5x better player. Constant comparisons make us laughing stocks.

People r still making comparisons to Fyfe? Embarrassing yourselves. Two only have height in common. Hardly enough for a comparison. Yeo will also never have body of Fyfe. Terms of weight and muscle gain, Fyfe is an exception.

Not to mention Fyfe is 5x better player. Constant comparisons make us laughing stocks.