Toast Elliot Yeo

Remove this Banner Ad

Half back is more reactive, you can see the play unfold ahead of you and position yourself as required.

A midfielder needs to be proactive, it's far harder for you to take in everything that's going on in a split second and make the right call. (Ala a Sam Mitchell)

Some players simply don't have the footy smarts to play 360 degrees, it's not a knock, it's just fact.
He doesn't seem too capable being in the middle of stoppages. Agree about the 360 degrees aspect. I think we have tried to use him to inject some physicality and explosiveness in stoppages but he seems to get lost in that scenario, and looks a step off the pace.

If we had better inside players Yeo could play more of a receiver role and could break away from the stoppage with his explosive pace and evasion.

Not really sure if that distinction works in modern footy but surely they can work something out

His first instinct is to take the game on. Not sure you can teach that. He's also confident enough in his own abilities that when he does take an opponent on, he *knows* he can beat them.

Love it. Still have no idea what happened to him last year, but jeez he became one of my favourites this year. Will be a worthy Club Champion.

Gotta feel for the Lions. Two ex players making AA. I think traded for picks 28 and 33 ir thereabouts.

they're mostly right .. for once.
Confirmation bias much. There is no evidence or track record that Yeo would not smash it in the midfield, in the same manner he does at half back. No s**t he kills it at half back. He is a gun player. He would excel at any position where you have bulk use of the footy or involvement in 'play'. Because our midfield are crabs in the main, we play a game style which launches mostly from half back. That's where he is. He'd be AA in a midfield position piece of pish!

Confirmation bias much. There is no evidence or track record that Yeo would not smash it in the midfield, in the same manner he does at half back. No s**t he kills it at half back. He is a gun player. He would excel at any position where you have bulk use of the footy or involvement in 'play'. Because our midfield are crabs in the main, we play a game style which launches mostly from half back. That's where he is. He'd be AA in a midfield position piece of pish!
I am trying to make sense of this, you're saying Yeo would be an AA mid if he played there fulltime?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nah I'm deadly serious!
and thankfully Simmo is on the same page for the future going by his presser yesterday too.
Okay, well how come he clearly drops off in output whenever he plays mid?

Was in your camp a few months back and had a couple of arguments with AsterixTheGaul about it. But his main argument is that Yeo lacks the smarts to play as a mid. After watching him I agree with it. He did ok as a mid the few occasions he played mid but the bloke is a game changer off half back. Imo Yeo will end up being a Shaun Burgoyne type where he plays off half back and when we need some spark in the middle he can go in there and lift the side. Yeo plays his best footy in the middle in short bursts.

Was in your camp a few months back and had a couple of arguments with AsterixTheGaul about it. But his main argument is that Yeo lacks the smarts to play as a mid. After watching him I agree with it. He did ok as a mid the few occasions he played mid but the bloke is a game changer off half back. Imo Yeo will end up being a Shaun Burgoyne type where he plays off half back and when we need some spark in the middle he can go in there and lift the side. Yeo plays his best footy in the middle in short bursts.
Yeo works best at stoppages as someone who is given the handpass to. He does not appear to have the smarts to know where to be and how to extract. I love his breakaway pace and his ability to get separation but he needs someone from the inside to give him the ball. Compare that to the more open contested mark and kick into our backline, he is a really strong intercept mark and really good at playing on getting seperation. Let's celebrate what he is good at and not try to convert him to an area of his mediocrity just because we have gaps.

Yeo works best at stoppages as someone who is given the handpass to. He does not appear to have the smarts to know where to be and how to extract. I love his breakaway pace and his ability to get separation but he needs someone from the inside to give him the ball. Compare that to the more open contested mark and kick into our backline, he is a really strong intercept mark and really good at playing on getting seperation. Let's celebrate what he is good at and not try to convert him to an area of his mediocrity just because we have gaps.

you make it sound like there is this magical exclusive kung foo artwork to midfield extraction. There is not. Certainly how we play especially. Particularly with Nic back and winning clean taps with actual direction. Would u not rather have a bloke who can instead of just bombing it or getting off a hand pass, ALSO have in his weaponry the ability burst away from said stoppage? Smashing thru fools and taking the ball to the forward 50? Other teams have been doing this for years. It's our biggest area of weakness. I would rather have Yeo's talents available to us forward of centre. Lets see how they all go trying to match up on the Yeo !! Bout time we make them panic and have to worry about US for a change! He is at his most exciting best and danger to the opposition in the forward 50. It's not like we have guys who can't cover in the backline lead by the Gov and Hurn.

Give the bloke some credit . It's made out that he's this slow learner with no creativity. Everyone seems to only remember the mistakes. Be nice if that applied to some others. Once again I believe players are concluded as "smart" if the they get 30+ disposals. whooopie.
from 50 seconds

you make it sound like there is this magical exclusive kung foo artwork to midfield extraction. There is not. Certainly how we play especially. Particularly with Nic back and winning clean taps with actual direction. Would u not rather have a bloke who can instead of just bombing it or getting off a hand pass, ALSO have in his weaponry the ability burst away from said stoppage? Smashing thru fools and taking the ball to the forward 50? Other teams have been doing this for years. It's our biggest area of weakness. I would rather have Yeo's talents available to us forward of centre. Lets see how they all go trying to match up on the Yeo !! Bout time we make them panic and have to worry about US for a change! He is at his most exciting best and danger to the opposition in the forward 50. It's not like we have guys who can't cover in the backline lead by the Gov and Hurn.

Give the bloke some credit . It's made out that he's this slow learner with no creativity. Everyone seems to only remember the mistakes. Be nice if that applied to some others. Once again I believe players are concluded as "smart" if the they get 30+ disposals. whooopie.
from 50 seconds

Not sure where that outburst came from - avishka5 has been following my posts about Yeo and understands where I stand.

I believe Yeo has come along in leaps and bounds in 2017 and went from a B minus to an AA. I have given him heaps of credit so not sure whether you are reacting to a body of posts or a single comment taken in isolation! Most of that has outside mid/rebounding defender which was where, in the off-season, I was advocating we play him.

What I have not done is believe he is the tonic to all our problems. Thanks for posting the highlights reel - did you notice how many of those highlights were when he was playing as an inside mid? None. That is where he struggles and yet there is a desire to want to playi him in that role. Getting your hands on the football and getting it out to advantage is our biggest area of need IMO. You are right in NicNat returning being crucial to it. I can really see a role for Yeo running in for centre clearances from the back of the square presenting for a Shuey hand pass then bang - ball to Jack of JK. I can see Yeo sitting off other stoppages as an outside mid and being damaging. I can see Yeo taking brilliant contested and intercept marks. He has a lot of great attributes we need to utilise. But please, work out what he is good at and use him to advantage.

Insights - my niece knows him well and has told me about how he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Have a look at the highlights and tell me where he does his best work. Is it inside mid? Go down to training and see what role he plays well at in drills. Is it extracting and getting away from inside traffic? Have a look at where he is corralled and has to make decisions. Is he sharp like Mitchell or struggles like Masten? He has strengths and it was so refreshing to have him play to those in the first part of 2017. We then experimented and he was less effective. Like he was insignificant in the training drill on mauls and getting the ball out from congestion. That is the job of others.

Not sure where that outburst came from - avishka5 has been following my posts about Yeo and understands where I stand.

I believe Yeo has come along in leaps and bounds in 2017 and went from a B minus to an AA. I have given him heaps of credit so not sure whether you are reacting to a body of posts or a single comment taken in isolation! Most of that has outside mid/rebounding defender which was where, in the off-season, I was advocating we play him.

What I have not done is believe he is the tonic to all our problems. Thanks for posting the highlights reel - did you notice how many of those highlights were when he was playing as an inside mid? None. That is where he struggles and yet there is a desire to want to playi him in that role. Getting your hands on the football and getting it out to advantage is our biggest area of need IMO. You are right in NicNat returning being crucial to it. I can really see a role for Yeo running in for centre clearances from the back of the square presenting for a Shuey hand pass then bang - ball to Jack of JK. I can see Yeo sitting off other stoppages as an outside mid and being damaging. I can see Yeo taking brilliant contested and intercept marks. He has a lot of great attributes we need to utilise. But please, work out what he is good at and use him to advantage.

Insights - my niece knows him well and has told me about how he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Have a look at the highlights and tell me where he does his best work. Is it inside mid? Go down to training and see what role he plays well at in drills. Is it extracting and getting away from inside traffic? Have a look at where he is corralled and has to make decisions. Is he sharp like Mitchell or struggles like Masten? He has strengths and it was so refreshing to have him play to those in the first part of 2017. We then experimented and he was less effective. Like he was insignificant in the training drill on mauls and getting the ball out from congestion. That is the job of others.

Yes I'm reacting to the whole idea of Yeo being just stuck at half back (body of posts) - nothing you said yourself particularly other than Yeo being a dumb footballer. (which yes I've spoken with him myself and he's easily amused by stupid things! haha). But I do appreciate your posts and views and how you articulate them, and your post was the latest one on this thread...
In my view there is no such thing as inside mids at AFL level. Yes it's obvious in the video and the intention of the video from my view, was to highlight his dynamic abilities. They are more damaging forward of centre. We need those kind of abilities right smack bang starting from the middle. And yes I have been to many training sessions. Watched the drills. Yes, he's no Mitchell. but Mitchell makes plenty of risky mistakes too along with his cocky slippery brilliance.

A collective of Nik Nat, Yeo, Shuey, Sheed Redden Wellingham, Duggan, Gaff as our on ballers is what I'd like to see. Yeo at half back collecting 40 stats doesn't get me barred up like it does most others.

Yeo's strengths are suited to any position which makes him so valuable but they're much better used down back.

He can close on any loopy kick with his pace for a spoil
He can outmark anyone else his size and even bigger opponents due to his leap
He can chase down a defender from miles away from behind, pressuring the kick
He can have the whole field open in front of him to run into
He can sneak forward and kick goals when his oponent trails off.

If he was in the midfield, his marking would be under-utilised as he'd not be the loose man so much, he wouldn't get an open paddock to run in because he'd be handballing out to others after gaining possession in heavy traffic, he wouldn't be sneaking off his opponent because if he was any good he'd be tagged or he would be tagging them, he'd often be fighting for the ball and if it was cleared he'd be out of position or off his feet and unable to effect a chase like he can in defence when he's following the ball around.