Elliot Yeos suspension

Is this a fair 1 week suspension

• Yes

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 88 91.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So we're literally adjudicating on the basis of how hard someone's skull is? Lol, whatever, you're clearly only here to defend Burgoyne, rather than talk about the situation as a whole.

Given that Ryan literally suffered nothing, don't you think Hawkins should only get a fine too?

Yes, you do weight the impact by how much impact there is.

There are different penalties for different actions. Generally based on whether the action is a poorly executed legal action, vs an action which is always illegal.

Do you think a punch or elbow to the face should be treated equally to a bump and to a tackle?

BTW: this is about Yeo so I would think the better comparison would be with his action.

Which apparently the Tribunal said was okay.

Yes, you do weight the impact by how much impact there is.

There are different penalties for different actions. Generally based on whether the action is a poorly executed legal action, vs an action which is always illegal.

Do you think a punch or elbow to the face should be treated equally to a bump and to a tackle?

BTW: this is about Yeo so I would think the better comparison would be with his action.

Which apparently the Tribunal said was okay.

It was to his upper chest - which is where Ryan clutches at afterwards. Not his face or neck.

A sling tackle is apparently illegal lol, but you know what I'm not bothering anymore because you're clearly just going to argue that Hawkins deserves it and Burgoyne is a saint.

Fact remains, there was negligible force with Ryan, and no medical report, no free kick, and no match day report - despite there being an umpire right next to the incident. Burgoyne drove someone's head into the ground - an action that if it was done to someone more lightly framed like Florent or Dylan Stephens, would have seen them sit out the game most likely.

Ending this here though and calling it an impasse.

It was to his upper chest - which is where Ryan clutches at afterwards. Not his face or neck.

A sling tackle is apparently illegal lol, but you know what I'm not bothering anymore because you're clearly just going to argue that Hawkins deserves it and Burgoyne is a saint.

Fact remains, there was negligible force with Ryan, and no medical report, no free kick, and no match day report - despite there being an umpire right next to the incident. Burgoyne drove someone's head into the ground - an action that if it was done to someone more lightly framed like Florent or Dylan Stephens, would have seen them sit out the game most likely.

Ending this here though and calling it an impasse.

Burgoyne's tackle had no medical report, no free kick, and no match day report - despite there being an umpire right next to the incident.

...and we'll just sit and wait 'til Hawkins has the honour of once again being selected for the dubious honour of being their poster boy for examples of what not to do (for just that week)

The umpire contact suspension was the most annoying one for me. The whole week after hawkins got sispended, discussion in the media and from the afl was about how all umpire contact will now be suspensions. then, when the next weekend's games have about three or four equally inocuous incidents, it's forgotten about.

It's frustrating, but i must say he doesn't really help himself by getting involved in this borderline stuff.

The whole week after hawkins got sispended, discussion in the media and from the afl was about how all umpire contact will now be suspensions

This is the pattern whenever the AFL want to be seen to be cracking down on something. They'll let half a dozen blatant incidents go, suspend Hawkins over a borderline one, and then it's never heard of again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw the Hawkins one - classic dumb move by the big fella - swinging an elbow is never a smart idea.

However the majority of contact was to the upper chest and any "high contact" would have been incidental

Sheed got a fine for a deliberate strike to the body - Hawkins should get the same.

Good to see it was overturned, he would have considered himself very unlucky to be penalised for punching a man named Rupert.

Burgoyne's tackle had no medical report, no free kick, and no match day report - despite there being an umpire right next to the incident.
Some things never change when it comes to umpires and how they adjudicate Hawthorn players; case in point "Lethal" Leigh Matthews.. being gone on for decades. The only outlier I can thing of is Buddy Franklin who imho for most of his career didn't get much of a break with the umpires or tribunals.. you will most likely come up with other examples but he is the only obvious one I can think of.

Some things never change when it comes to umpires and how they adjudicate Hawthorn players; case in point "Lethal" Leigh Matthews.. being gone on for decades. The only outlier I can thing of is Buddy Franklin who imho for most of his career didn't get much of a break with the umpires or tribunals.. you will most likely come up with other examples but he is the only obvious one I can think of.

Yes. You know we are protected by the AFL when you have to go back to the VFL 40 years ago for an example.

And you choose a player the VFL deregistered for striking.

Back