Elliott Himmelberg 2 years (until 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah was articles up about it earlier in the day.

Seems fine to me, hopefully he can develop into a good player.

Good news. Play him instead of jenkins. More games into this kid the quicker he will reach his potential.

Thread title sounds like he’s going to prison.

I admit to not having seen enough of Himmelberg. Saw him take a few nice marks in an SANFL game or two. What are his strengths? Why was the Fog picked in front of Himmelberg for the 1st game?

I admit to not having seen enough of Himmelberg. Saw him take a few nice marks in an SANFL game or two. What are his strengths? Why was the Fog picked in front of Himmelberg for the 1st game?

Himmelberg looks like he could become a handy swingman. Players like Fog don't come along all that often, that is why he got picked. We'd be dumb not to get a dozen games into Fog this year and a whole season next whlst it'd be worth blooding Himmler this year for a few games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is what has made me notice him. Apparently wasn't rucking in the Sanfl but looks OK in the centre square. Between him and Rob today, they won 52 hitouts, a third of them to advantage
From memory he did a fair bit of rucking in the SANFL last year when a few of our regular back up rucks were injured, which ended up being a blessing in disguise as it enabled that part of his game to develop quicker and further than it otherwise may have.

Found this on Himmelberg developing his ruck craft in the SANFL last year:

"While competing strongly up forward, Himmelberg has also been pinch-hitting in the ruck for a lot of the season, while big men Reilly O’Brien and Paul Hunter battled with injury.

The opportunity to learn more skills has been extremely important to Himmelberg this year.

“It’s good to keep adding little tricks, the more you can do, the more useful you are,” Himmelberg said.

“I want to keep continually learning, you’ve got to have a lot of chats with coaches. Basically I’m just trying to get a bit out of each game.

“I’ve loved rucking, especially in a struggling side. If the ball isn’t coming down forward, it just brings you into the game a bit.

“That is probably what my role would be if I was to come up and play [in the AFL], so it was good for me to ruck a bit and learn about that this year.”

Despite enjoying his time in the ruck, having a strong presence up forward has been a big priority for Himmelberg, who has kicked 19 goals from 14 games, including a career-high five goals against North Adelaide in Round 16..."

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2018-08-10/sanfl-himmelbergs-new-tricks

Just watched Eddie's goal a couple of more times this morning, and Berg's role in this is critical.

Firstly, he competes two on one to bring ball to the ground to allow Eddie to crumb.

Secondly, gives off a little shepherd; enough to give Eddie a split second to do his thing.

Both of these things, JJ does not do well.

I really like this kid. He has something about him and the way he is progressing, I can see him ripping a game apart once he gets more confidence that he belongs.

Club needs to back him in and let him settle without looking over his shoulder every week, waiting for JJ to come back in to form.

Let him know he is our guy, as we are building our forward line around him at the moment.

To quote our favourite Dwayne, he could be 'crazy' good.

Club needs to back him in and let him settle without looking over his shoulder every week, waiting for JJ to come back in to form.

No, that's how we end up in the mess we've ended up in.

I want EVERY player looking over their shoulder EVERY week. I want Himmelberg knowing that the moment his form drops below JJ's, he loses the spot. And JJ knows the same - if he gets back in, it's only for so long as his form warrants keeping EH out.

I want the team picked based on who is in the best form right now, not based on who has the incumbent player gold pass or who is the developing player that we're determined to get games into regardless of whether he's performing or not. Form - not reputation and not potential - should be the only thing that matters at selection.

I want EVERY player looking over their shoulder EVERY week. I want Himmelberg knowing that the moment his form drops below JJ's, he loses the spot. And JJ knows the same - if he gets back in, it's only for so long as his form warrants keeping EH out.

I want the team picked based on who is in the best form right now, not based on who has the incumbent player gold pass or who is the developing player that we're determined to get games into regardless of whether he's performing or not. Form - not reputation and not potential - should be the only thing that matters at selection.
Agree you need every player to be looking over their shoulder but not kids. Kids you invest the development in if you see a huge upside in them. What i won't tolerate is free passes for players like Mackay, Atkins, Knight, Gibbs, Jenkins etc who know better and are very experienced. There is a big difference. Himmelberg is more than keeping his spot anyway. He has shown more toughness in 4 games than Jenkins has shown throughout his career. Says a bit about Jenkins.

Obviously you are looking for a base level performance at a minimum, but you have to be realistic with kids.

Sure if they fall below base in 3-4 games they may need a rest, but helping them through a down game here/there is part of getting them on their way

If a kid thinks he is only getting a game to prove a point to a more senior player and they get the feeling they are only keeping the seat warm until the senior player pulls his head out of his arse, they then don't play with freedom and confidence.

Now, if Pykey is telling him that he is our man, and that he keeps earning his spot, then the Berg will get more and more confident and blossom as a result.

At the moment, he is more than earning his spot. However, if he has a down game (or two), they need to stick with him IMO, and get as many games into him as possible.

If a kid thinks he is only getting a game to prove a point to a more senior player and they get the feeling they are only keeping the seat warm until the senior player pulls his head out of his arse, they then don't play with freedom and confidence.

Now, if Pykey is telling him that he is our man, and that he keeps earning his spot, then the Berg will get more and more confident and blossom as a result.

At the moment, he is more than earning his spot. However, if he has a down game (or two), they need to stick with him IMO, and get as many games into him as possible.

Exactly, back the lad in just how they backed in Jenkins for the past 3- 4 years of being a soft spud in the expectation.

Bloody stoked Big E is playing well - very smart lad as well around the footy compared to junk time Jenkins

I'm sure they'll get to that just after getting Macklay, Douglas and Sauce to sign one year extensions.

J/K I'm sure they are already starting that process, is in interesting year for list management
Sauce, thanks for the service but ROB is our first choice now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back