Draft Profile Elliott Kavanagh

Remove this Banner Ad

True, I sorta had forgotten Tarrant & Hansen.
Still would be pretty surprised to see you go for a midfielder, seems a lot of (particularly) inside-type mids as it is; and a few holes elsewhere.
Our midfielders are pretty flexible though. Wells played most of last year on the ball, but could easily move to a McLeod/Deledio type role down back. He has played some outstanding football in that position before.

Others like Bastinac, Harper, Atley and Greenwood could play anywhere.

Taking one more class midfielder at 18 wouldn't be excessive. It could also allow us to be very selective in terms of 'types' that we require with pick 40 and in the rookie draft.

Add to this that next year we would likely target a tall with our first pick in a draft without the eyes picked out of it.

Then there's the possibility of Luke McDonald in the 2013 draft, who is 188cm at 16 and whose old man is 194cm.

Kavanagh would finish off our midfield rotations alongside the likes of Wells, Swallow, Adams, Ziebell, Cunnington, Bastinac and Ately I reckon and add a bit of polish and class. I reckon GWS or the Dogs may nab him though.
Well next year's draft will be another funny one I suppose. There will be compensation picks activated left, right and centre. Also 2 more 17 year olds will be traded by GWS for picks, presumably. Plus, fingers crossed, we have quite a good year and thus receive a rubbish draft pick.

On McDonald, he is still 2 years from being drafted. Let alone perhaps another 12 months before he gets his first game at senior level. We cannot be considering him in future plans just yet. From what I have seen on him, yes he might grow a few more cms. In fact, lock it in. However, he looks like a midfielder to me. Perhaps one day in the mould of Pendlebury or Goodes, but I don't think he will be a key position player.

Well next year's draft will be another funny one I suppose. There will be compensation picks activated left, right and centre. Also 2 more 17 year olds will be traded by GWS for picks, presumably. Plus, fingers crossed, we have quite a good year and thus receive a rubbish draft pick.

On McDonald, he is still 2 years from being drafted. Let alone perhaps another 12 months before he gets his first game at senior level. We cannot be considering him in future plans just yet. From what I have seen on him, yes he might grow a few more cms. In fact, lock it in. However, he looks like a midfielder to me. Perhaps one day in the mould of Pendlebury or Goodes, but I don't think he will be a key position player.
Was informed he is more the Pavlich type..playing centre half forward them coming into the midfield when required

Our midfielders are pretty flexible though. Wells played most of last year on the ball, but could easily move to a McLeod/Deledio type role down back. He has played some outstanding football in that position before.

Others like Bastinac, Harper, Atley and Greenwood could play anywhere.

Taking one more class midfielder at 18 wouldn't be excessive. It could also allow us to be very selective in terms of 'types' that we require with pick 40 and in the rookie draft.
I dunno, the way I see it you've used a large majority of your early picks on mids. So, theoretically, in terms of drafting if not development/results just yet; I see your midfield group as probably 80% of the way, the next generation of tall forwards & backs (depending on where Tarrant/Hansen/Pedersen settle) is probably just under half-way, but for small forwards, backs & flankers etc there is not a whole heap.

And then see on-ballers like Cunnington/Ziebell playing back/forward rather than on-ball... and I just wonder what I'm missing.
We'll obviously have to agree to disagree but I think selecting a specific need at 18 (and it sounds like there will be some good flankers still there) gives you a lot more flexibility to chase the mythical "best available" with 40

I dunno, the way I see it you've used a large majority of your early picks on mids. So, theoretically, in terms of drafting if not development/results just yet; I see your midfield group as probably 80% of the way, the next generation of tall forwards & backs (depending on where Tarrant/Hansen/Pedersen settle) is probably just under half-way, but for small forwards, backs & flankers etc there is not a whole heap.

And then see on-ballers like Cunnington/Ziebell playing back/forward rather than on-ball... and I just wonder what I'm missing.
We'll obviously have to agree to disagree but I think selecting a specific need at 18 (and it sounds like there will be some good flankers still there) gives you a lot more flexibility to chase the mythical "best available" with 40

Small/medium forwards:
Thomas, Campbell, Adams, Harper, Wright

Small/medium defenders:
McMahon, MacMillan, Richardson, Mullett, Sierakowski, Scott Thompson is even more of a 3rd tall/rebounding defender

Small/medium forwards:
Thomas, Campbell, Adams, Harper, Wright

Small/medium defenders:
McMahon, MacMillan, Richardson, Mullett, Sierakowski, Scott Thompson is even more of a 3rd tall/rebounding defender
There are bound to be better players than you have just listen in the draft at 18. But, unlikely that there will be better mids than what you already have.

Have I missed something - why wouldn't North be looking for talls (namely forwards) ?
They've got Black (1 game) and not much else coming through; with just about the oldest forward pairing in the league @ 29 & 28yo.

On another note what about a skinny 3rd tall defender type, the roos dont have many of them, something to replace Daniel Pratt maybe

Josh Bootsma seems to fit that bill :p

What i would give to have pick 18 instead of 19 right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought you were trying to isolate your drafting from your powers recently? Weird.

You know what I mean. They had no issues pointing out to Elliot the facilities availaable at Essendon while not available at 'other' clubs. This would help his recovery from injury and get him back on trck.

I thought you were trying to isolate your drafting from your powers recently? Weird.

You know what I mean. They had no issues pointing out to Elliot the facilities availaable at Essendon while not available at 'other' clubs. This would help his recovery from injury and get him back on trck.
Can't resist the odd smartarse opportunity...
What do you mean - the queue for the single exercise bike? or the genuine 1950s sweat on the weight benches... our (current) facilities aren't much chop - North's are pretty good.

Definitely some murky water with the interviews. Won't ever know the full story, but I really doubt anyone flat-out said they wouldn't be happy @ North.

Just something I've enjoyed paying attention to is how the current management at Essendon go about 'wooing' players. Very aggressively targeting players. Nothing wrong with it, doubt friends are being made.

Just something I've enjoyed paying attention to is how the current management at Essendon go about 'wooing' players. Very aggressively targeting players. Nothing wrong with it, doubt friends are being made.
Rather bemusing how the Caddy dealings have been perceived.
Either we are liars on a monumental scale, and GC let a massive whopper pass, or we were actually sought out by them as a preferred candidate to deal with. Of course it has to be sneaky old Essendon, who've recruited half their list on the sly... GC are completely honest...

haha, don't get too defensive. From my POV, they saw an oppotunity to bring a kid home who had personal reasons for wanting to do so. To get to mediation with what was 'aparently' being offered and come out of it with a bit of a dummy spit attitude just didn't come off all too well. Of course GC play a part in that too.

Sneaky bastards :)

If GC knew they wouldn't accept pick 19 + player, and really needed that top 10 pick, then they shouldn't have been dealing with us in the first place. We were the option they picked in ~July or so, and we didn't dip below about 9th (pick 17). IMHO they weren't ever going to let him go, just had to make the token effort. Glad Evans pushed them to mediation, though.

Set up nicely now... Kavanagh + Hooker vs Caddy & Matthew Warnock...

Good luck to the kid. Hopefully his hammy issues are behind him and gives him every opportunity to get the best out of himself.

It'd be a shame to see a talented kid fall by the wayside because of injury. JWS sad facey thingy:(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back