Toast Elliott Yeo and a thankyou from Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

You would hope that the clubs would know what they're doing in terms of player development though. If pushing them too hard early is bad then clubs shouldn't be doing it.

Would that slow their progress, though? Would guys like Fyfe (to use the current benchmark) have been tracking as well as they were at 21 having been in an AFL system for a few years already if they were just stuck playing state footy?

but brisbane are reportedly demanding 3 years

how does that work
Well rather than the two years if you nominate and are picked then all first draft picks would have a three year contract if you are in the first round. If the kids don't want it, then don't nominate, same rules.

nicnat then rubs his groin in your face
12v21NtINSuNa0.gif

That's the crux for me, you draft a kid and are basically a footballing creche until they have 100 games.
Same, it is mighty unfair to expect teams to develop players, then lose them when they're just showing hope, but get little for them as they have no runs on the board.

Brisbane are asking for 3 year contracts straight from the draft apparently.
Whilst don't necessarily agree with 5th round picks getting it, definitely believe that 1st round picks should be signed to 3 year contracts, especially for players moving interstate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well rather than the two years if you nominate and are picked then all first draft picks would have a three year contract if you are in the first round. If the kids don't want it, then don't nominate, same rules.

ahhhh i misunderstood - i thought the post was saying that brisbane and only brisbane were demanding that their picks sign for 3 not 2

not that they were asking that the rule be changed

makes sense to me now

I'd like to say thanks for the 2nd round pick for Elliott Yeo. Original thought we got screwed but pick 28 has turned out pretty well for us so hope Yeo does deliver for you guys.
He has

giphy.gif

According to On the Couch last night, apparently he would have stayed at Brisbane had they offered him a $250k contract at the time but Brisbane didn’t want to go higher than $225k.
Makes me wonder how much of a factor that was in the other guys leaving too.

Squabbling over 0.25% of the cap is not something you do for a player you want to keep. Obviously there were other factors at Brisbane that a talented young player might want to get away from but what were they actually doing to try to retain their players for God's sake?

Makes me wonder how much of a factor that was in the other guys leaving too.

Squabbling over 0.25% of the cap is not something you do for a player you want to keep. Obviously there were other factors at Brisbane that a talented young player might want to get away from but what were they actually doing to try to retain their players for God's sake?
Leppitsch tho...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back