AFLW Emelia "Millzy" Yassir - Welcome to Tigerland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Baa Baa Richmond have you any picks?

Yassir Yassir.

Emelia Yassir
Height 160cm
Current Team Calder Cannons/Vic Metro
Birthday September 25, 2003
Position Midfielder
Emelia Yassir
With a some really solid performances as a balanced midfielder over the journey, Emelia Yassir has the runs on the board at NAB League and AFL Women’s Under 19s Championships level to give clubs confidence that she will translate well to the next level.
STRENGTHS:
Inside game
Overhead marking
Acceleration
Ground balls
Clean hands
Aggression
KEY IMPROVEMENT:
Strength

Proving to be one of the Calder Cannons most crucial players in their NAB League 2021 campaign with her ability to switch her approach instantly to accommodate her midfield teammates, Emelia Yassir’s involvement around stoppages and in handball chains around the ground often put Calder in a good position on field. Her two-way running was obvious throughout the season, often seen in a forward half handball chain one minute, and then laying a tackle or applying pressure to an opponent in the defensive 50 the next minute, offering a level of reliability for her defenders putting them under less pressure.
Representing Vic Metro in the AFLW U19s Championships, Yassir did not get the same amount of time onball as she did in the NAB League, being forced to adapt to a rotation on the forward flank for large parts of the games. The change did not have a massive impact on her numbers, averaging 15.5 disposals, 2.5 marks and 5 tackles across two games, she proved she could still find ways to be involved despite not being around the action as much.
Heading into the future, Yassir may look to work on her overall strength. Standing at 160cm, she comes in a tad undersized for an AFLW midfielder, and an improvement in strength could help her make up the difference and help her towards getting majority game time on ball. Given her overhead marking for her height, Yassir may also find herself lining up in the forward line as she builds up that strength.
QUOTES
“Bursting onto the scene as a 15-year-old during Calder Cannons’ run to the 2019 NAB League Girls Grand Final, Yassir played 11 games in her debut season to hold her own against much older opponents. In her top-age year, Yassir lifted her numbers to 16.7 disposals, 3.9 tackles and 3.1 inside 50s to be a crucial player in the Cannons’ forward half of the ground. Her contested work and aggression around the football makes her a player that would do anything to win the football and shows a high level of football nous, along with high impact in the games. She will generally use it well going forward, and whilst she might only be the 160cm, could settle as a midfielder or defensive forward with her traits and skillset.” – Peter Williams via “2021 AFLW Draft Positional Analysis: Small Midfielders/Forwards/Defenders”
“Another important and constant figure in Calder’s midfield mix, Yassir was the speedy ground level type who helped set her side on the front foot with good run-and-carry away from the contest. A tough competitor, the 17-year-old is also not afraid to compete for and win her own ball, but benefitted from being released onto the outer via hand. In seven of her nine outings, Yassir notched over 15 disposals and that form was more than enough to warrant Vic Metro selection.” – Michael Alvaro via “2021 NAB League Girls team review: Calder Cannons”
“Consistently found ways to show off her burst of speed and agility, weaving through packs and getting away well weighted kicks forward, or handballing to teammates under less pressure. The hard working midfielder provided plenty of spark around stoppages. She found her way around the ground as well, with a defensive focus to her game, getting down back to help out her team under siege, where she even managed an impressive intercept mark which led to a dangerous piece of transitional play that almost resulted in a goal.” – Declan Reeve via “Top Performers: 2021 NAB League Girls – Elimination Finals”

Emelia Yassir.jpg
Emelia Yassir1.jpg
CC-Emelia-Yassir stats.jpg

EMELIA YASSIR
Pos Midfielder
Ht 160cm, DOB 25/9/03
From Calder Cannons/Vic Metro

Yassir only knows one thing, and that's to attack the footy. A strong ball-winner who has proven herself against the bigger bodies at VFLW level playing for Essendon, she can also drift forward and hit the scoreboard. One list manager compared her to Bulldog Elisabeth Georgostathis, with the ability to have an impact on both the inside and outside.

EMELIA YASSIR
Pos Midfielder
Ht 160cm, DOB 25/9/03
From Calder Cannons/Vic Metro

Yassir only knows one thing, and that's to attack the footy. A strong ball-winner who has proven herself against the bigger bodies at VFLW level playing for Essendon, she can also drift forward and hit the scoreboard. One list manager compared her to Bulldog Elisabeth Georgostathis, with the ability to have an impact on both the inside and outside.
Looking at the highlights, she seems very competent above her head for someone of her size. With her style of play I think she will become a fan favourite very quickly

Looking at the highlights, she seems very competent above her head for someone of her size. With her style of play I think she will become a fan favourite very quickly

I'm a fan now!

i noticed she played for ess , curious how she goes
for as much time she spent on ball she didn't do too much with 6 disposals (i remember 2 of them being wastes, she does have a solid kick when she's given time like from a free kick which i've liked from the games i've watched, also gave away 2 identical free kicks and scared me both times because she jumped forward when she was on the mark attempting to smother, thought she was going to give away a 50 both times.

she did try her best though and ran all day so the effort is there, just gotta run to the right positions which hopefully she will nail now she's going to be in an aflw environment.

this game (and the other 4-5 bombers vflw games i watched) just shows how far ahead prespakis is ahead of the rest of the u19 draft crop at least in victoria

17d, 12t, 7cl with a fair bit of time spent resting fwd (also a very quiet 3rd qtr when basically all of essendon was quiet besides barba)

and it's also the way she uses the ball with her kicks or handballs, a very natural user of the ball, her goal was a 90 degree snap on the outside of her boot from a clearance

Yassir still pinching herself

Richmond AFLW draftee Emelia Yassir is still finding it hard to believe that she's an AFLW Tiger.
By Grace Kalac, Richmond Media

22-AFLW-Draftees_Web-Landscape-1.jpg
-->

The 17-year-old, affectionately known as Millzy, said her draft experience had been nothing short of "incredible".

"To wake up every morning thinking 'I'm an AFLW player' is just unreal," she said.

"I'm absolutely stoked to be here, this has been my dream since I was a little girl."

The Calder Cannons product was selected by Richmond with pick No. 16 in last Tuesday night's AFLW draft.

A dangerous forward/midfielder, Yassir is a tough ball-winner who knows how to hit the scoreboard.

The fierce competitor was a strong performer for Vic Metro this season and also featured six times for Essendon at VFLW level, experiences she expects will hold her in good stead as she takes her game to the next level.

"(I'll bring) my toughness out there, my competitiveness, and being able to able to do what I've always done in NAB league and Vic Metro and Essendon VFL, being able to compete," Yassir said.

Of all her new Tiger teammates, Yassir is most looking forward to rubbing shoulders with Richmond's 2020 No. 1 draft pick.

"Ellie McKenzie is a big one," she said.
"I played against her a few times at NAB league last year and she was a pretty hard one to beat."

Very determined young lady I'm hearing.

When I named my R1 team I had her just missing out and said I wouldn't be surprised if she was named for R1 but I might be moving to the surprised if she's not camp.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very determined young lady I'm hearing.

When I named my R1 team I had her just missing out and said I wouldn't be surprised if she was named for R1 but I might be moving to the surprised if she's not camp.

Honestly only think injury will keep her out. Will grow in leaps and bounds in this new environment - has the footy smarts!

Sort of like a M Rioli Jnr, D.Rioli, Castagna, Aarts, Butler, Higgins all rolled into one about her? :p
Not like Butler ever - she might have a bit of the others - we'll see - maybe the next time people will be saying 'like Yassir....."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back