Emerging spinners in Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

If Jon Holland is our test spinner we might aswell forfeit.

Holland is ok. Would like to see him given a bit more of an extended opportunity in the side.

Holland just ripped through SA with 4/25 off 7 overs. Not really sure what adjustments he has made, but he's certainly become a very effective bowler in the Shield over the last two years or so. His figures over that period make for good reading:

2014/15 Shield season - 3 matches, 111 overs bowled, 23.69 average, 51.23 strike rate, 2.77 economy rate
2015/16 Shield season - 2 matches, 118 overs bowled, 20.93 average, 50.57 strike rate, 2.48 economy rate
2016/17 Shield season - 4 matches, 134.4 overs bowled, 18.90 average, 40.40 strike rate, 2.81 economy rate
-----
Overall (2014-present) - 9 matches, 363.4 overs bowled, 20.81 average, 46.43 strike rate, 2.69 economy rate
Shield career (2008-present) - 39 matches, 1,237.5 overs bowled, 35.45 average, 69.41 strike rate, 3.06 economy rate

Really want to see him do it over a full Shield season, but he is fast becoming one of the best spinners in Australia, and not just another "well, we've got no-one else" kind of option. If he can keep this up for the rest of the year, he'll be a deserving member of the touring party to India.

Last edited:

He's barely good enough to be a first class spinner

Maybe not at test level but he is definitely good enough to be a first class spinner. Had a good start to the season with his bowling. Is only 23 and still developing.

Holland just ripped through SA with 4/25 off 7 overs. Not really sure what adjustments he has made, but he's certainly become a very effective bowler in the Shield over the last two years or so. His figures over that period make for good reading:

2014/15 Shield season - 3 matches, 111 overs bowled, 23.69 average, 51.23 strike rate, 2.77 economy rate
2015/16 Shield season - 2 matches, 118 overs bowled, 20.93 average, 50.57 strike rate, 2.48 economy rate
2016/17 Shield season - 4 matches, 134.4 overs bowled, 18.90 average, 40.40 strike rate, 2.81 economy rate
-----
Overall (2014-present) - 9 matches, 363.4 overs bowled, 20.81 average, 46.43 strike rate, 2.69 economy rate
Shield career (2008-present) - 39 matches, 1,237.5 overs bowled, 35.45 average, 69.41 strike rate, 3.06 economy rate

Really want to see him do it over a full Shield season, but he is fast becoming one of the best spinners in Australia, and not just another "well, we've got no-one else" kind of option. If he can keep this up for the rest of the year, he'll be a deserving member of the touring party to India.
I'd be less sceptical if he was professional enough to get rid of that Warnie physique. Nah mate, that can't fly these days.

I'd be less sceptical if he was professional enough to get rid of that Warnie physique. Nah mate, that can't fly these days.

248785.jpg

australian-cricketer-jon-holland-walks-with-australian-wicketkeeper-picture-id585470668

Photos from Sri Lanka in August. Hardly at Warnie fat levels.

How do you feel about someone like Rangana Herath, for example? If you're doing what's needed to earn or hold your place, I don't think a little extra pudge around the middle really makes a huge difference for a spin bowler.

248785.jpg

australian-cricketer-jon-holland-walks-with-australian-wicketkeeper-picture-id585470668

Photos from Sri Lanka in August. Hardly at Warnie fat levels.

How do you feel about someone like Rangana Herath, for example? If you're doing what's needed to earn or hold your place, I don't think a little extra pudge around the middle really makes a huge difference for a spin bowler.
Have you seen him recently? Plus, I think it's just something that isn't considered acceptable given the standards most players have to meet now. You can't make an exception for one guy.

Have you seen him recently? Plus, I think it's just something that isn't considered acceptable given the standards most players have to meet now. You can't make an exception for one guy.

So he's suddenly blown up in the past three months? He's also bowling better than ever, so I don't really think it matters myself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is a bit of a chucker actually. Has a doosra as well. Not a massive turner of the ball though.

Don't care if he does 'chuck' the ball. Every single country has bowlers that are 'borderline', why do we keep trying to the 'goody two shoes', it is hurting us. If if it 'legal for other countries, it is fine.

Can honestly say I have never taken any notice of Holland's physical condition, looks pretty average to me? Non-issue.

Who the hell is Zampa and why the hell is he even playing ODIs?

Maybe because he is the best spinner we have in limited overs cricket. Not a test cricketer, but meh as a ODI/T20 spinner he's very effective.

So he's suddenly blown up in the past three months? He's also bowling better than ever, so I don't really think it matters myself.
Unless he was wearing about 5 jumpers... yeah, big time. You can't hold the rest of the squad to a certain standard and then just relax it for one guy.
Warnie, Taylor, Hayden, Merv Hughes
twas a different time. Wouldn't really group Hayden with those other guys either, he was just huge.

Unless he was wearing about 5 jumpers... yeah, big time. You can't hold the rest of the squad to a certain standard and then just relax it for one guy.

twas a different time. Wouldn't really group Hayden with those other guys either, he was just huge.

Come on! Warnie was playing not that long ago. Even Lee was soft around the edges towards the end of his playing days.

Maybe because he is the best spinner we have in limited overs cricket. Not a test cricketer, but meh as a ODI/T20 spinner he's very effective.
Bowls right arm slow, hardly a spinner since I didn't see it spin, bounce or drift once. Don't know why Lyon doesn't play those ODIs anymore.

Looked like that Zampa kid was just bowling fast yorkers at one point, for a slow right armer. A bit like Bevan with his left arm Chinaman bowling, except a s**t load worse.

Our spin options truly suck if he's getting games.

Closest I can think of is Vettori, who was bowling close to 110kmh near the end, this kid was regularly up around 100, so I don't know what he was expecting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back