Past Emily Bates (2016-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

138b0a78178d2aa43a4b5dcccdf7eb4b.png

Taken with the number 2 pick in the AFL Women’s Draft, Emily Bates is a very valuable player who can be either a hard running midfielder or halfback. Possessing a good left kick, Bates is elite overhead for her size and is also effective getting her hands on ball and breaking lines with her run and carry. Bates provides a lot of energy around the team and will bring leadership qualities. Bates was the Captain of the Queensland Youth Under 18 side for three years in a row, first captaining at the young age of 15.

Star midfielder Emily Bates says a new "dynamic" forward line has Brisbane primed to snare that elusive AFLW premiership this season. The Lions were dealt a massive blow when key forward Sabrina Frederick defected to Richmond in the off-season.

Then club leading goal kicker Jess Wuetschner was struck by lightning in January and her ongoing recovery saw her ruled out of Sunday's clash with Geelong. But less experienced teammates Jesse Wardlaw, Dakota Davidson and Ally Anderson stepped up to help steer their side to a 19-point win at GMHBA Stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too one dimensional.

Basically. At this stage of the game, you dont really NEED a single power forward target. They'll still be used, but they need to not be the focus, the game is a different beast to the mens league and we are starting to see teams grasp that.

This girl can play!
That bullet pass to the chest of wardlaw in the second half was beautiful to watch.
She must be one of the best midfielders in the competition

Brisbane have enjoyed a huge day of contract re-signings with premiership winning leadership group Emily Bates, Shannon Campbell and Bre Koenen inking contract extensions that tie them to the club for two more seasons.

The 2021 premiership winning side are all locked away for season six of the AFLW and a total of 14 players have already taken the opportunity to add a further year to their deals.

Not sure to post this but I just wanted to say that given I live up here I am so pleased that Emily has decided to stay loyal to the Lions. As a Crows member I so pleased that Anne Hatchard as decided to stay with the Crows. Two really terrific players that also have shown their commitment to their respective clubs. well done Emily and the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back