pumped

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2004
Northcote
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I wrote something way back about our best side and how strong each player was emotionally. After watching the pre season and the first few rounds I still dont see us as a very mind strong unit.

Fevola, Norman, Camporeale, are just 3 players who could be consistent stars. However I believe they all fall short in their capacity to concentrate fully on the contest. They have all shown what they can do and they are certainly not physically weak but their performances are not equalling their ability.

There are others aswell but if these 3 were anywhere near REAL then the flow on affect on the rest of the side would be enormous. I also believe that some of the responsibility rests with Denis and the coaching staff. Part of their role should be as mind teachers aswell as football teachers.

Carlton's list may not be the best in the comp but it is certainly better than what is being displayed on the field. We need to develop a team that is passionate about playing footy and if we can the list we have can take us to top 4 within 12 months.

You are dead right about mental strength,it's never existed at Carlton! How many games have we gone into that should have been walkovers,and we end up losing.
I don't think Campo is that bad ,but you are right about Fev and Norman!!!

I am always running against the tide with regards to Campo. I think he is a highly skilled player and when on is very hard at the ball and strong under pressure.

However I still believe that he does not consistently perform to his optimum. He is IMO a top 50 in the AFL type player but is simply not reaching this level. When not on his game he gives away undisciplined frees, gets caught with the ball too often, and wastes energy on back chat and cheap shots.

He is certainly not alone in his attitude but it costs us more with a player of his undoubted ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back