Encryption bill passed/rushed

Remove this Banner Ad

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Labor are worried about an attack over Christmas, which is increasing likely every year as more deranged Muslims discover their culture completely incompatible with modernity.

Why didn’t the same fears work in the Victorian election? Because everyone knows national security is a federal, not state issue, and Victorians didn’t like a dopey former Queensland copper telling them they were afraid.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Labor are worried about an attack over Christmas, which is increasing likely every year as more deranged Muslims discover their culture completely incompatible with modernity.

Why didn’t the same fears work in the Victorian election? Because everyone knows national security is a federal, not state issue, and Victorians didn’t like a dopey former Queensland copper telling them they were afraid.
One attack and it would have been Tampa
They shat the bed

bfff

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Apple has also weighed in on the bill, sending a seven-page letter to the Australian government as a formal response. The Cupertino firm has criticized the law as “dangerously ambiguous” and “alarming to every Australian”. According to Apple, the law wouldn’t be protecting citizens, but would “weaken the security and privacy of regular customers while pushing criminals further off the grid”.

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/a...ng-against-australias-proposed-decryption-law

It would be great if all the big tech companies came out strongly against it. They would have a stronger case if they didn’t price gouge and avoid taxes.

bfff

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looks really good when you'll sell out the law of the nation, by association the people of the nation, in order to get into power.

Shorten had Rudd stabbed in the back, Gillard knifed and he just landed the rest in everyone else. Mission Accomplished.

I don’t agree with what Labor did but the other side doesn’t come out of this smelling like roses either.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
National security. It used to be something to be taken seriously.
Leaks show Border Force slashing airport staff at Christmas as budget cuts bite
The Australian Border Force is quietly slashing staff numbers at airports over the busy Christmas period and is believed to have suspended a fleet of boats supposed to protect the nation's northern waters, in cost-cutting moves that insiders say threaten national security.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...tmas-as-budget-cuts-bite-20181206-p50km9.html

OMG !!! under Scomo and Dutton

he just landed the rest in everyone else. Mission Accomplished.

And here's me thinking the libs came up with it....

WHO KNEW !?!?!?!?!??!

And here's me thinking the libs came up with it....

WHO KNEW !?!?!?!?!??!
You don't get to cover yourself in glory for supporting something just because it was another person's idea.

The whole point of being strong is that you stick to your position, not selling it out when it's convenient.

Just remember this when they do it again later, and don't be surprised.

You don't get to cover yourself in glory for supporting something just because it was another person's idea.

The whole point of being strong is that you stick to your position, not selling it out when it's convenient.

Just remember this when they do it again later, and don't be surprised.
As opposed to the current mob who have no discernible position day to day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leaks show Border Force slashing airport staff at Christmas as budget cuts bite
The Australian Border Force is quietly slashing staff numbers at airports over the busy Christmas period and is believed to have suspended a fleet of boats supposed to protect the nation's northern waters, in cost-cutting moves that insiders say threaten national security.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/...tmas-as-budget-cuts-bite-20181206-p50km9.html

OMG !!! under Scomo and Dutton

With P35 banned, I will fill in for him

According to my RT video, this is clearly the start of a false flag operation by the CIA and ASIO to ensure the liberals win the may election, so as to maintain the vassal status of Australia to the global Zionist banking alliance.

They will blame Muslims who have infiltrated the baggage handlers union, but I assure you no Zionists will be at Sydney airport the day of the attack.

You sheep all continue to bow to your Soros funded propoganda

And Chief don't move this to the conspiracy board because this is news, not a conspiracy.

How did I do?

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
With P35 banned, I will fill in for him

According to my RT video, this is clearly the start of a false flag operation by the CIA and ASIO to ensure the liberals win the may election, so as to maintain the vassal status of Australia to the global Zionist banking alliance.

They will blame Muslims who have infiltrated the baggage handlers union, but I assure you no Zionists will be at Sydney airport the day of the attack.

You sheep all continue to bow to your Soros funded propoganda

And Chief don't move this to the conspiracy board because this is news, not a conspiracy.

How did I do?
Sco Mo and Dutton obviously werent expecting the encryption laws to get through and were hoping for a Tampa

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
As NSWCROW stated before this is a skirmish you can afford to lose. Shorten has his eye on the long game - proving that the ALP can offer stable and secure government. Being wedged on this could cost a shitload of votes from the swinging voter.

If/when the ALP gets in government (and the tech companies start leaving), things can change. As it is, it is simply a bad idea to pick your battle line on national security if you're the ALP - the general public perception is that it is an issue of critical importance and something the coalition is perceived to handle better (along with defence and the economy). Whether that is true in reality is almost immaterial, so the best the ALP can do is minimise the gap.

Edit - voters are generally switched on, they associate defence, immigration and national security with the federal government. The terrorism angle failed in Victoria for that reason. Still, the ALP have had a positive message so far and the voters seem to like it so I doubt the ALP will go ultra negative in the lead up to the federal election.
The ALP just passed terrible legislation to avoid having to have its own position on national security. I understand the politics of it, but it’s craven. And I think you’re being a touch naive if you believe Labor will come in and fix it. If there’s no blowback and the public have forgotten about it, they will just sit on it.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
The thing about Shorten is that his modus operandi is to make a fuss about some legislation or policy and then mostly capitulate to the opposition so he can take some of the credit for said policy/legislation being passed. It makes him look more like a 'uniter' who's interested in getting things done rather than a schemer or an Abbott-style wrecker who lives to oppose things.

Whether or not he'll alter this policy once in government is another matter altogether.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Moxie Marlinspike would be spinning in his grave (even if he's - I assume - not dead yet).

I can't really even begin to think how this is going to work in any practical sense. I don't now how tech companies can comply without completely weakening their security? And why would they want to jeopardise their global reputation for one country, and not a particularly large or influential one at that?

As part of the five eyes brigade surely ASIO has their hands on enough exploits thank to the NSA (I.e. Eternal Blue).

Crazy stuff. Hopefully there is push back from the big tech firms and even the threat of withdrawal from the country if need be. Just caving in would be a huge green light for other countries to push the same line.

And in reality it wouldn't actually be that hard for a nefarious organisation to build a message application on top of the existing open whispers protocol and distribute it amongst members. The code is all there good to go. To be honest I'm surprised they haven't already - and in all likelihood possibly have.

Might be a good time to post some PGP tutorials, as painful as it is to use.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back