List Mgmt. End of season 2021 Delistings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Rohan has five in a game

Nathan Ablett showed more in his thirty odd games than Rohan EVER did (or has). Was getting better all the time. His output was exactly what you'd expect of a young key forward - some weeks good, some weeks invisible. He was poor in the Prelim in 2007 but absolutely did his job in the other two finals. Hadn't even scratched the surface of what he was capable of.

This forum has basically been begging the club to move on the assistants since the prelim final, and it's happening. If Scott packs his bags too i doubt many on here would complain (i certainly wont). I fail to see how anything that has happened so far is a bad thing for the club. If anything it opens up a brilliant opportunity to reinvigorate the coaching panel, which this club badly needs. Scarlett stays, Stevie J comes back as a forwards coach with Joel Corey as mids coach and a new Senior Coach to guide it all (looking at you Macca)...A man can dream.

We knew Cook was leaving since the start of the year, so there is no surprise there at all. To characterise this as a "mass-exodus" is just sh*t-stirring.
Macca will not happen.

He is done with coaching.

Been asked directly on KROCK by me and as much as id luv it too.. will not happen.

GO Catters

The problem is not just the coaches its our list... We simply are too heavily stacked with older blokes who are at the ends of their careers and an average bunch of middle aged/young blokes.. Anyone who could not see that on Friday night is blind.. Melbourne are going into their prime years - even Max ******* Gawn was running past our players like we were in quick sand - it was honestly embarrassing.. I wish it was just a coaching issue but it's not.. Our list is in deep s**t unfortunately. We all knew there would be a price to pay for going 'hard' at older experienced blokes - unfortunately it didn't pay off and now it's time to pay the price. All our players can keep telling themselves 'our best is good enough' blalala it doesn't change the reality of our situation. We are cooked.

with this mass clean out and rotation, you want to make sure you have people and good one s ready to come in,

With all the leaks and all the mass media and bloggers out there with inside info...

I have not seen a single post with anyone attached to coming to the GFC.

Lots of dreamy pie in the sky wish lists and not a single lead.

So whilst the rotation out is iin play, the inflow is really dead quiet and when in a business where you ideally want to know the answer before the questions are asked.... its very quiet.

Go Catters

with this mass clean out and rotation, you want to make sure you have people and good one s ready to come in,

With all the leaks and all the mass media and bloggers out there with inside info...

So whilst the rotation out is iin play, the inflow is really dead quiet and when in a business where you ideally want to know the answer before the questions are asked.... its very quiet.

Go Catters
So Scott a chance to leave if A good one ready?

The problem is not just the coaches its our list... We simply are too heavily stacked with older blokes who are at the ends of their careers and an average bunch of middle aged/young blokes.. Anyone who could not see that on Friday night is blind.. Melbourne are going into their prime years - even Max ******* Gawn was running past our players like we were in quick sand - it was honestly embarrassing.. I wish it was just a coaching issue but it's not.. Our list is in deep sh*t unfortunately. We all knew there would be a price to pay for going 'hard' at older experienced blokes - unfortunately it didn't pay off and now it's time to pay the price. All our players can keep telling themselves 'our best is good enough' blalala it doesn't change the reality of our situation. We are cooked.

Not as bad as when Salem actually stopped completely in front of Atkins like he wasn't there.

Go Catters

Ideally, if the agenda is yours to set, announcements of the coaching departures would be followed by the welcoming announcements, on the same day. As this isn't happening I have a worry that we have no control over the agenda. Individuals are leaving and we have been left flat footed. At least that's how it appears. The complicating factor is if the incoming guys are at other AFL clubs and those departure announcement need to be made as well so it can't always be really neat and tidy.

However, there's an increasing look of a train wreck happening here and Hocking needs to get some good news out there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It can only go one of two ways right now and that is partially based on the assistants coming in.

They will want surety. That can only happen if:

1. Scott's contract is extended.
  2. Scott leaves for Blues/GC or whoever else is popping up on the rumor mill.
Head says stay and extend. He keeps getting us close ... and I do think that new assistants will help re energise and re focus the list.

Heart says go and let Geelong make some short sharp changes to rise up the ladder quickly with a good balance of young and old players.

It's a tough one.

Go Catters
Assistant coaches are not players, you don’t get rumours and warnings.

Head says stay and extend. He keeps getting us close ... and I do think that new assistants will help re energise and re focus the list.

Heart says go and let Geelong make some short sharp changes to rise up the ladder quickly with a good balance of young and old players.

It's a tough one.
I really do think for both parties...club and Scott, it is time for a change.

Fresh start all round, but of course if it does happen no guarantee it will work out for either party! But still the time has come I reckon.

Go Catters
If an assistant is approached and wants to join us, his club will generally allow it to happen. So we have time to find replacements. And we don’t know if they were told by the Cats that we would not stand in their way if they looked elsewhere.

Scott needs to go but the only way that happens is if he gets another high paying gig somewhere else.. We will not get rid of him unless someone takes him off our hands (aka AFL house for the GC) and he 'goes to greener pastures/new challenge' theme is sold to the press. Again though it's not going to fix our situation - he is only 50% of the problem. Our list requires massive turnover to have ANY chance of actually competing with the best next year. No more 35 year olds - we need young guns on all parts of the ground which unfortunately are not easy to come bye via trades. I don't think we will win the wooden spoon because we are still better than a lot of sides but I can't see how our current list can compete in the big high pressure games against sides like Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Bulldogs etc when you look at their list/age profiles. We might knock a few of them out early season but by the end of it we won't have the legs.

Not as bad as when Salem actually stopped completely in front of Atkins like he wasn't there.
I was actually embarrassed - it was like watching a cat play with a mouse. It wasn't even a once off - it happened the whole night. We literally looked stationary - they were toying with us and showed us 0 respect on the biggest stage. Max Gawn strolling from the centre bounce throwing Stanley around like he was a 2 year old kid - waltzing to the 50 at snails pace while our blokes stare at him in awe as he kicks a drop punt straight through the middle with 0 ******* pressure. I can see why Isaac Smith called it the most embarrassing loss in his career. The way we tried to tackle - it was like watching a baby clinging onto its mothers legs as she walks around without a care in the world - they made us look weak. When they tackled us they pinned our arms and we couldn't fling off bullshit over the head handpasses - their tackles actually stuck - ours were so weak I can see why they gave up in the end because no matter what they did Melbourne players still managed to get a handpass off to space.

Ideally, if the agenda is yours to set, announcements of the coaching departures would be followed by the welcoming announcements, on the same day. As this isn't happening I have a worry that we have no control over the agenda. Individuals are leaving and we have been left flat footed. At least that's how it appears. The complicating factor is if the incoming guys are at other AFL clubs and those departure announcement need to be made as well so it can't always be really neat and tidy.

However, there's an increasing look of a train wreck happening here and Hocking needs to get some good news out there.

The powers that be will be working hard behind the scenes to recruit new coaches. There's no point in rushing appointments.

Jaymie Graham (from West Coast) is one who was interviewed for the Collingwood senior position and is very highly regarded. I hope we go after him.

Scott needs to go but the only way that happens is if he gets another high paying gig somewhere else.. We will not get rid of him unless someone takes him off our hands (aka AFL house for the GC) and he 'goes to greener pastures/new challenge' theme is sold to the press. Again though it's not going to fix our situation - he is only 50% of the problem. Our list requires massive turnover to have ANY chance of actually competing with the best next year. No more 35 year olds - we need young guns on all parts of the ground which unfortunately are not easy to come bye via trades. I don't think we will win the wooden spoon because we are still better than a lot of sides but I can't see how our current list can compete in the big high pressure games against sides like Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Bulldogs etc when you look at their list/age profiles. We might knock a few of them out early season but by the end of it we won't have the legs.
The list doesn't need a massive turnover yet. It definitely needs a refresh and a smoothing out of the age profile.

Underperformers should also be put on notice that walk up starts are no more and those spots should be earmarked for players that have drive and youthful exuberance.

Old players who are still on this list then need to embrace a role that ensures we strive for wins but also foster a degree of "stewardship" in the young core that will keep us as a very good side for years to come.

We got to the Prelim. We were done though. Expectations of player performance in finals needs to be non negotiables moving forward. Can't perform to those standards then you're just clogging the list.

Tweak/refresh but keep a lazy eye on ensuring there's enough good talent getting good game time.

Veteran Cat Josh Jenkins retires, two youngsters delisted (afl.com.au)

I was actually embarrassed - it was like watching a cat play with a mouse. It wasn't even a once off - it happened the whole night. We literally looked stationary - they were toying with us and showed us 0 respect on the biggest stage. Max Gawn strolling from the centre bounce throwing Stanley around like he was a 2 year old kid - waltzing to the 50 at snails pace while our blokes stare at him in awe as he kicks a drop punt straight through the middle with 0 ******* pressure. I can see why Isaac Smith called it the most embarrassing loss in his career. The way we tried to tackle - it was like watching a baby clinging onto its mothers legs as she walks around without a care in the world - they made us look weak. When they tackled us they pinned our arms and we couldn't fling off bullshit over the head handpasses - their tackles actually stuck - ours were so weak I can see why they gave up in the end because no matter what they did Melbourne players still managed to get a handpass off to space.

There's something about young to peak age teams when they "click" - they have a hunger and ferocity that can make them unstoppable. It reminded me a lot of us in 2007 (particularly the North final where we did exactly the same thing to them), Richmond in 2017, and Melbourne this year. The group suddenly realises they're ready and able and become very very difficult to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back