List Mgmt. End of season 2021 Delistings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many further delistings/retirements are we expecting?
Gone: JJ, Taheny, Jarvis
OOC 2021, although reported in media close to extensions: CC, Evans, Rohan, Stanley, Simpson, Higgins, Zuthrie, Atkins, Close

Just leaves Krueger, Henderson, Brownless and Okunbor (note: Brownless and Okunbor being rookies and can both be retained next year on rookie list thus not affecting the primary list). I think CC will be signed on as insurance.

Also have picks 30, 32, 35, 53 in the draft.
3 players so far gone and have 4 new spots on the main list via the draft (I can’t see us using more than 4 picks in the draft this year).
Definitely one of Clark or Krueger is leaving. I suspect Henderson will retire and his spot will likely be taken by a free agent (possibly Talia or Brander).

What are people’s thoughts?

Last edited:
How many further delistings/retirements are we expecting?
Gone: JJ, Taheny, Jarvis
OOC 2021, although reported in media close to extensions: CC, Evans, Rohan, Stanley, Simpson, Higgins, Zuthrie, Atkins, Close

Just leaves Krueger, Henderson, Brownless and Okunbor (note: Brownless and Okunbor being rookies and can both be retained next year on rookie list). I think CC will be signed on as insurance.

Also have picks 30, 32, 35, 53 in the draft.
3 players so far gone and have 4 new spots on the main list via the draft.
Definitely one of Clark or Krueger is leaving. I suspect Henderson will retire and his spot will likely be taken by a free agent (possibly Talia or Brander).

What are people’s thoughts?
With how quickly Okunbor went back to Ireland I'd be surprised if hes retained, Brownless will be touch and go aswell, I'd cut both to be honest.

I can’t quite work out our thinking. Whilst personally I’m happy he’s staying, why would they keep a guy that they’ve actively shopped around the last two years and who they clearly don’t rate that highly themselves?
Did we shop him around or did he/his manager shop himself around?

And maybe they've given him a year as they think he'll offer more value than they'll get from the late draft pick they'd use to replace him and knowing what he's like at his best they're hoping it'll click for him

If next year's draft isn't as compromised as the past couple have been, it may be seen as an easier option to turn over a few of those fringe players when we have a better idea of whom else is available

Did we shop him around or did he/his manager shop himself around?

And maybe they've given him a year as they think he'll offer more value than they'll get from the late draft pick they'd use to replace him and knowing what he's like at his best they're hoping it'll click for him

If next year's draft isn't as compromised as the past couple have been, it may be seen as an easier option to turn over a few of those fringe players when we have a better idea of whom else is available
Do you think we will def lose one of Clark and Krueger?
I'm not sure we have to.
We are probably in a great position to offer them games and actually play them.

Do you think we will def lose one of Clark and Krueger?
I'm not sure we have to.
We are probably in a great position to offer them games and actually play them.

Clark frustrates me and much in the same manner that Narkle does - he looked really promising in his first season, provided a point of difference but really hasn't looked the same since the elbow & shoulder injuries

Not sure if it's hesitancy or what, but doesn't seem to have the same attack

I also know that there's been speculation around his workrate and/or attitude since early last season, but I'd hold him to his contract because I want to see what happens if it clicks for him - hoping it also clicks for Narkle

If Clark does stay one it the first changes I'd make is switching out Joel as his mentor - there's not many young guys that come to a club like Joel did when he was drafted and he may not be the best fit for Clark. I'd look at someone like Smith who'll be in his second season with us, but he's someone who took longer to break into an AFL team and he can share his experience about how it's not career over if your not a lock in the 22 by 19/20. His style of play, workrate up & down the ground could also be good for Clark to get an understanding of, because while you may see yourself as being best suited to one role, having positional flexibility to help the team isn't a bad thing

I'd also keep Freddie and it'll likely be on a multi year deal since there's opposition interest - there's something exciting about him at VFL level but he needs a clear run at things for us to really see what he has to offer

I can’t quite work out our thinking. Whilst personally I’m happy he’s staying, why would they keep a guy that they’ve actively shopped around the last two years and who they clearly don’t rate that highly themselves?
Depth I suppose. If they're still pushing to be in contention next year, he's probably considered a more reliable cover option than a first or second year player.

What has changed from our PF team though, to enable that?
I just dont see how people think we are going to suddenly play kids that hardly got a look in all year despite our injury situation, its not gonna happen.

If Henderson is tapped on the shoulder its because Talia is in our plans, not playing a Kreuger type every week.

I just dont see how people think we are going to suddenly play kids that hardly got a look in all year despite our injury situation, its not gonna happen.

If Henderson is tapped on the shoulder its because Talia is in our plans, not playing a Kreuger type every week.
Is the club really serious about Talia? Surely not. I'd much prefer Kreuger and or SDK be given some extra responsibility in the backline if Henderson is done.

Is the club really serious about Talia? Surely not. I'd much prefer Kreuger and or SDK be given some extra responsibility in the backline if Henderson is done.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Talia or Henderson because we really don't have much depth in terms of KPD and that their spot on the list is more about insurance than first selected

What makes you think that we're not going to be bringing fresh faces into the 22?

Within a week of our season being over we've already said goodbye to 2 assistant coaches and speculation that 2 more may also move on - that alone is a pretty good indication that changes will be happening

I would be more surprised if we went into round 1 next year with a team that looked similar to our preliminary final team compared with say 6 or so changes to that line up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roarke Smith at the Bulldogs shows 2 things: Beveridge is a gutsy coach; good players can emerge out of the blue. Instead of bringing in guns and paying a huge price for them, maybe the Cats should look for a couple of hidden gems that would cost nothing - Farrell at Port comes to mind a he is an elite left-foot kick, which is something we lack. Undoubtedly there will be other unsung heroes to emerge next season. Nick Hind is another this year - the Saints gave him to Essendon and he too is an example of what we lack. But of course we prefer to trade in older chaps past their best.

What makes you think that we're not going to be bringing fresh faces into the 22?

Within a week of our season being over we've already said goodbye to 2 assistant coaches and speculation that 2 more may also move on - that alone is a pretty good indication that changes will be happening

I would be more surprised if we went into round 1 next year with a team that looked similar to our preliminary final team compared with say 6 or so changes to that line up
If we go into rnd 1 with a similar team that got blown off the park in 2 finals, then you know scott is doubling (tripling, quadrupling?) down on the same old same old, expecting it to work this time. May as well just forfeit if we make finals. If we go in with 4 or 5 different players (say narkle, clark, sdk, evans etc) and a newer game style, then we could see he's willing to try something different. This has to happen imo. And stick with it. No point doing that, lose a couple of games and panic by bringing in a bunch of washed up old timers, and slowing the game right down again, just to drag our broken down heap into the finals again, just to be humiliated.

If they stick with it they will see the rewards further on. And no i'm not saying don't drop a guy if he has a few games in a row of picking up 3 touches. Do it on merit.

If we go into rnd 1 with a similar team that got blown off the park in 2 finals, then you know scott is doubling (tripling, quadrupling?) down on the same old same old, expecting it to work this time. May as well just forfeit if we make finals. If we go in with 4 or 5 different players (say narkle, clark, sdk, evans etc) and a newer game style, then we could see he's willing to try something different. This has to happen imo. And stick with it. No point doing that, lose a couple of games and panic by bringing in a bunch of washed up old timers, and slowing the game right down again, just to drag our broken down heap into the finals again, just to be humiliated.

If they stick with it they will see the rewards further on. And no i'm not saying don't drop a guy if he has a few games in a row of picking up 3 touches. Do it on merit.

We've got to back in the newer guys, but like all in the 22/23, they should have targets they are working to and non-negotiables that we want to see from them

I'm not exactly a fan of those saying "tell Narkle/Clark (insert name of young player) that they'll be playing the first 10 games of the season", because while there may be some benefit in that the player knows 1 bad game won't see them omitted, it can also mean that they start to feel comfortable with not really stepping it up & they know that repeated sub-par games won't see them omitted

The big thing for a guy like Narkle will be to see improvement from a defensive perspective, because he let himself down in that area this season and he can do better than he showed. This year he averaged 1.9 tackles but more disappointing is he had 15 in his first 5 games & only 10 in his last 8 games; then compare it with his previous 2 seasons he averaged 3.6 & 3.2. So from a coaching perspective I'd want to see them ask him to improve that side of his game and challenge him on his defensive pressure - and if he's shown to be repeatedly just jogging after an opponent one match, don't omit him the first time but show him the footage as part of the review & see how he responds the next week. If it's the same attitude, that's when you look at then omitting the player

The other thing the coaches really need to consider is the reasons why a players been omitted and then the next week - if you're omitting a guy like Narkle or Clark because you aren't happy with what you're seeing from them, actually send them back to the VFL to work on those aspects of their game so they can then force their way back until the side. I don't see the benefit to omitting a player because you're asking them to work on different aspects of their game & then you make them the sub meaning they sit on the bench for potentially 4 quarters and not really given the opportunity to work ok things

The very fact that we were appalling, that we have some talent that need games, and that we can't recruit much this year to help our situation.

What was stopping us this year?
The fact that at half-time in the last H & A game of the year we were looking like finishing on top of the ladder. Something must have worked ok for us until the dreaded last 6 weeks of our season.

What's changed is Enright & Knights have gone, plus reports that Scarlett & maybe Lappin will go

New faces and voices in the coaching box will change things

What's changed is Enright & Knights have gone, plus reports that Scarlett & maybe Lappin will go

New faces and voices in the coaching box will change things
Especially if the rumors that Scarlett and Clark don't get along. Also doesn't help how buddy buddy the back 6 and the coaches got because you wonder if guys got games based on being mates and not quality.

Bit harsh? - there's probably only a small window for international guys to go and see family in order to get back for pre-season.
If Okunbor can tackle and get a few disposals he's already as good as some in our 22. He's 191cm and 89kg and most of it is muscle. Worth fast tracking him whatever it takes.

With how quickly Okunbor went back to Ireland I'd be surprised if hes retained, Brownless will be touch and go aswell, I'd cut both to be honest.

What do you mean how quick he went back? It's the first time he's been home in 2 years - sounds more like a long over due holiday with the family

Okunbor stayed out here throughout the covid shutdown of the league last season and didn't return home to Ireland after the completion of last season. While his time at Geelong may have come to an end, it may also be a case that he wasn't going to be making his senior debut during the finals, so they gave him the option of returning home before the end of the season to spend additional time with family before any decision on his future is made

What do you mean how quick he went back? It's the first time he's been home in 2 years - sounds more like a long over due holiday with the family

Okunbor stayed out here throughout the covid shutdown of the league last season and didn't return home to Ireland after the completion of last season. While his time at Geelong may have come to an end, it may also be a case that he wasn't going to be making his senior debut during the finals, so they gave him the option of returning home before the end of the season to spend additional time with family before any decision on his future is made
My partner is from Canada and she’ll be camping outside the airport like her team made the GF in the mid-90s the moment that border opens for short visits

My partner is from Canada and she’ll be camping outside the airport like her team made the GF in the mid-90s the moment that border opens for short visits

hope that's sooner than later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back