List Mgmt. End of season 2021 Delistings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarlett 3rd one gone

Matthew Scarlett has informed the club that he is stepping away from coaching.

“It has been an incredible journey, much more than I could ever have hoped for when I joined the club,” Scarlett said.

“I have enjoyed coaching, but the time is right to take a break. The relationships I have formed over my time at the club will remain with me forever. I would like to thank the club, the coaches I have worked with and the players for making it such an enjoyable experience. I will really miss the ‘misfits’ – a great group to work with. I wish the club success in the future.”

Geelong’s general manager of football Simon Lloyd paid tribute to Scarlett’s contribution to the club.

“Matthew has enjoyed huge success as both a player and as coach at the club, and we wish he and his family well in his future,” Lloyd said.

“Matthew has always sought to make the Geelong Football Club better, both as a player and in his role as a member of the coaching staff. There is no doubt that many players improved greatly under his guidance. Matthew has barely had any time outside the game over the past 23 years, most of which have been here at GMHBA Stadium. His contribution to the club has been enormous.”

Scarlett has spent the past eight seasons in a coaching capacity, firstly as a development coach and as an assistant since 2016. The Cats have reached the finals in each of the past six seasons and have regularly been among the highest rated defensive teams in the AFL.

Scarlett enjoyed a stellar career in the navy and white hoops, earning induction to the Australian football hall of fame in 2018. He played 284 games, is a triple premiership player, best & fairest winner, a six time All Australian and a legend of the Geelong Football Club.

So .... did Hock clean house, did Scarlo fall on a sword....

or has Hock told Scarlo to go gardening for a year and come back next year for the Clarko and Scarlo show...

Im buying tickets.

GO Catters

So .... did Hock clean house, did Scarlo fall on a sword....

or has Hock told Scarlo to go gardening for a year and come back next year for the Clarko and Scarlo show...

It's sorta painful that we aren't hearing at all from Hock, Lloyd or Scott.

Would be nice to get some perspective on how this is unfolding and what the future holds...

At the moment it's a case of "Hmm, will Scott go too?" or "Are they clearing the decks for a fresh approach with Chris?"

So much unknown!

It's sorta painful that we aren't hearing at all from Hock, Lloyd or Scott.

Would be nice to get some perspective on how this is unfolding and what the future holds...

At the moment it's a case of "Hmm, will Scott go too?" or "Are they clearing the decks for a fresh approach with Chris?"

So much unknown!
I think the reality is that they won't come to media to present a group until they have a group. We'll find out eventually

So young players are not allowed "to feel comfortable", but it's OK if old average players feel comfortable. It never ends.

The Crows 97 premiership team had 7 players under 22.

Meanwhile it seems Krueger is going to the Pies and Clark to Freo, while Jenkin is the only over 30 to go at this stage. This is one of the great list management balls-ups in AFL history. Someone is going to have to pull not one but several rabbits out of a hat to remedy things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So young players are not allowed "to feel comfortable", but it's OK if old average players feel comfortable. It never ends.

The Crows 97 premiership team had 7 players under 22.

Meanwhile it seems Krueger is going to the Pies and Clark to Freo, while Jenkin is the only over 30 to go at this stage. This is one of the great list management balls-ups in AFL history. Someone is going to have to pull not one but several rabbits out of a hat to remedy things.

Would you still have that opinion if two years from now Krueger has played 5 senior games and offered bugger all to Collingwood?

I mean, exactly how many players have the Cats let go that have come back to haunt us?

We won't know for some time, of course you're right about that. I would suggest he's a young player with upside, while Lang, Smedts, Murdoch, the hyphen - who am I forgetting - had all enjoyed numerous opportunities at Geelong before they were traded.

Further, Krueger's departure needs to be seen in the context of the whole list profile which, as we all agree, is out of kilter.

Further, Krueger's departure needs to be seen in the context of the whole list profile which, as we all agree, is out of kilter.

But you can't just say "Keep him because he's in the right age bracket" if they've decided he's not going to be a B22 player long term

Would you still have that opinion if two years from now Krueger has played 5 senior games and offered bugger all to Collingwood?

I mean, exactly how many players have the Cats let go that have come back to haunt us?
Not many. Chappy, Stevie J and James Kelly still had a couple of years to give but the younger players generally didn't excel at other clubs. Menzell was the best we let go but that was due to his knee problems. Christianson left in a hurry and was pretty good at Brisbane. Linc McCarthy ok now at Bris but injuries kept him out at Geelong, Cockatoo same thing but he looked pretty ordinary playing for Bris in the finals. Lang (Blues), Thurlow & Laidler (Swans) were ok, etc. Henry Playfair and Charlie Gardener now at Sydney in coaching / management roles. A lot of ex-Geelong players went to Sydney and Brisbane.

They haven't decided he's not best 22; all the reports indicate they want him to stay. And why wouldn't they? It's not as if the VFL list is full of future A-graders.

Our first pick in the draft is 30 or 31, so apart from Sam DeK, and maybe Evans and Nic Steven - who have I missed? - we may be looking at the same geriatric performers come Rd. 1 next season.

They haven't decided he's not best 22; all the reports indicate they want him to stay. And why wouldn't they? It's not as if the VFL list is full of future A-graders.

Our first pick in the draft is 30 or 31, so apart from Sam DeK, and maybe Evans and Nic Steven - who have I missed? - we may be looking at the same geriatric performers come Rd. 1 next season.
We will need some stability in the playing group to balance the influx of inexperienced coaches next year.

The ones that demand a game will get one

The silly season is only just beginning..

We won't know for some time, of course you're right about that. I would suggest he's a young player with upside, while Lang, Smedts, Murdoch, the hyphen - who am I forgetting - had all enjoyed numerous opportunities at Geelong before they were traded.

I reckon player development has been a problem. Geelong's had a lot of promising players who didn't kick on, Lang, Smedts, Laidler, Jackson Thurlow, etc. Some in the current 22 and on the fringes fit that mould as well. I'm no expert but it seems like an area they need to address.

The silly season is only just beginning..
True, but this draft and trading period Geelong go in with almost no bargaining chips. Our older players are our best players and too old to trade. Some in our 22 would struggle to get a game at another club and the list drops off a cliff after that. Geelong seems to be able to rearrange the deck chairs most years to have another tilt but next year we might be tilting at windmills.

Whatever else happens, we'll need to find a couple of mids. Our mid-field is old, slow and over-rated. The forward line is reasonable. The back half might be OK if Stewart returns to his best.

From the Herald Sun - while no teams are mentioned, would like to think that we're looking at a couple of established assistants and we'll get announcements of those additions sooner than later:

While the trade period starts in earnest soon, a significant number of coaching lieutenants have changed clubs already this month, with more to come in the next few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back