End of the decade - crowds in the 2010s

We've now reached the end of the 2010s so I thought I'd put together some stats on the crowds from the decade and particularly look at how they stack up against the 2000-2009 decade.

First up the overall H & A figures:
1576639469064.png

An extra 4.3 million people attending H & A games is a substantial increase. However as shown there were an extra 186 games played due to the expansion to 18 teams. The average actually decreased in the last decade, although it has been trending up.

Year by year totals and averages:
1576639513761.png

The clear culprit for the decline in average attendance is the inclusion of GC and GWS. Here's how the figures compare when games involving these two teams are removed:
1576639554880.png

It's impossible to be 100% certain about hypothetical scenarios, but the figure of 36,942 is sufficiently enough ahead to reasonably state that with a full 1,760 matches excluding GC and GWS that the 2010s would have ended up with a significantly higher amount than the 2000s.

Another consequence of the expansion has been that the number of games between teams based in different states has increased and the number of derbies has dropped:

1576645365552.png

Solid increase in the derby average but offset by the drop in interstate matches. Without GWS & GC the average was 45,662 for derby games and 30,880 for interstate games.

There's been quite a substantial shift in the distribution of crowd sizes between the 2000s and 2010s. There is now a much higher % of small crowds and large crowds, with less occupying the middle ground.

1576719560470.png

A whopping 80% of crowds in the 2000s were in the range 20k-50k, with roughly 10% smaller than 20k and 9% above 50k.

In the 2010s the middle range of 20k-50k dropped to 64%, with less than 20k jumping to 22% and above 50k to 14%.

Looking at where these small crowd games are played:
1576719578060.png

Again, GC and GWS are the main offenders here, being involved in 233 games under 20k which explains the vast majority of the increase of 244 overall.

The move to boutique venues in smaller markets is also responsible, with increases in the number of matches played in Tassie, NT, ACT, regional VIC/Qld and internationally.

The other biggest factor was the collapse in Brisbane's crowds. There were 0 home crowds for Brisbane under 20k in the 2000s, and 45 this decade, more than 4 full seasons worth. Combined with Gold Coast this led to an alarming headline figure of 151 Qld games under 20k compared to just 11 in the 2000s (and all those were 'home' games for Vic clubs).

At the other end of the spectrum:
1576719594575.png

The new stadia in SA and WA contributed 42 extra games over 50k, but pleasingly the number at the MCG also rose dramatically by over 50%. The seeming impossibility of getting 50k to Docklands in recent years is shown with the number being reduced to just 3 (the last in 2013). No more Stadium Australia games also means no more 50k games in Sydney.

Speaking of states and venues, the breakdown of numbers in each state:

1576719637384.png

The heartland states of Vic, SA and WA all had roughly similar numbers of games and a similar increase in average crowd. WA the one with the most obvious scope for improvement in the next decade as they only had 2 seasons with their new stadium compared to 6 for SA.

The other states and territories all recorded drops in their average crowds but had mostly big increases in the number of games, leading to an overall increase in total attendance.

The NSW and Qld averages were always going to drop because of the new teams, although the Lions' crowds also fell sharply. Similarly, the ACT went from hosting Vic clubs to GWS games and had a minor drop. The NT added games at the smaller Alice Springs ground as well. The only drop without a valid excuse is the Tassie one.

Some key venues used throughout the 2000s and 2010s:
1576719655658.png

The MCG had a fantastic increase to end up averaging over 50k for the whole decade. However Docklands had a nearly corresponding decrease as big crowds (45k+) proved hard to obtain and the tenant clubs had mostly poor decades. The gap between the averages at the two Melbourne grounds is now immense.

The Kardinia Park upgrades brought about a decent increase. It's pleasing to see the Swans continue to build their average attendance at the SCG, showing that their crowds increased even with the intro of another Sydney team.

However, the Gabba shed nearly a third off its average as the Lions endured a pretty awful decade. Hopefully the crowds come back as their onfield position starts to look good again.

There were 23 different venues used the 2010s compared to just 14 in the 2000s.

The only venues used in the 2000s that weren't also used this decade were Princes Park and the WACA.

The ones used this decade for the first time were:

Adelaide Oval, Bellerieve Oval, Blacktown, Cazaly's Stadium, Eureka Stadium, Jiangwan Stadium, Perth Stadium, Riverway Stadium, Showgrounds, Traegar Park & Wellington Regional Stadium.

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
I remember back in 2013 how dire the crowds had fallen in South Australia. Adelaide had 4 games that season with an attendance under 30,000, unheard of in the previous 23 seasons at the ground. Since our move to Adelaide Oval we've only had 3 crowds under 40,000, our lowest being 37,890 V North on a Thursday night 2016. Maybe the new stadium turned off a few attending Football Park in the last couple of seasons but both us and Port have seen substantial attendance increases since the move.

Top individual H & A crowds of the decade:

1576720491080.png

I don't think that being a marquee event invalidates the achievement of getting a big crowd, but it certainly helps. Hence I've included those games but put notes next to them.

As for individual clubs over the two decades:

1576720677925.png

1576720685656.png

11 clubs (including GC & GWS) achieved record totals for the 2010s. A further 6 clubs couldn't match their record from the 2000s.

Port Adelaide got a record total in the 2010s but their three seasons in the 1990s were at a higher per season average.

North Melbourne are the only other club to have had a higher total in the 1990s than the 2010s (but their 2000s were better than both).

I remember back in 2013 how dire the crowds had fallen in South Australia. Adelaide had 4 games that season with an attendance under 30,000, unheard of in the previous 23 seasons at the ground. Since our move to Adelaide Oval we've only had 3 crowds under 40,000, our lowest being 37,890 V North on a Thursday night 2016. Maybe the new stadium turned off a few attending Football Park in the last couple of seasons but both us and Port have seen substantial attendance increases since the move.

You're certainly right about that. In 2013 Adelaide's home average was 5k below any other season prior to 2010. It jumped 15k in 2014 with the move to Adelaide Oval and has been above 44k since (although dropping slightly each year).

Even those years at Adelaide Oval weren't enough to overcome the terrible (by Crows standards) start to the decade and meant you finished with a lower total than the 2000s. Missing 1 home game in tragic circumstances did not help either but wouldn't have made up the overall difference.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
As for individual clubs over the two decades:

View attachment 795838

View attachment 795839

11 clubs (including GC & GWS) achieved record totals for the 2010s. A further 6 clubs couldn't match their record from the 2000s.

Port Adelaide got a record total in the 2010s but their three seasons in the 1990s were at a higher per season average.

North Melbourne are the only other club to have had a higher total in the 1990s than the 2010s (but their 2000s were better than both).
Great analysis. Some interesting insights. The Essendon decade of crowds all the more impressive when you consider they play many home games at Marvel and relative to Collingwood and Richmond, were largely irrelevant on the field.

Admiral Ackbar

Debutant
Apr 17, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thought I'd add some more crowd statistics just for something to do and to add onto the great work from manicmagpie

Here's the Top 20 Matchups based on average home and away crowd for the decade (2010-2019).

crowd.PNG

No surprises really from the top with Collingwood being the most heavily featured accounting for just under half of the matchups (9 outta 20). Obviously the MCG heavily skews the top end with all of the top 12 matchups being played exclusively at the MCG. Although the showdown does feature at 17 with Collingwood vs West Coast at 19 being the only interstate matchup to feature.

With the Essendon vs Hawthorn matchup being ranked 13th, it has the highest average for a matchup to include having games played at other venues with 5 x Docklands (Ave 42,196) and 8 x MCG (Ave 62,778).

The one that probably surprised me the most was Collingwood vs St Kilda at 14th (Ave 50,066). Aware that Saints were running hot at the start of the decade with crowds of 80k + and 60k+ against Collingwood in 2010 and 2011, their drop in form for the rest of decade may have pulled that average down but the matchup still drew some solid crowds at the MCG all things considered including 60k in 2019 and 51k in 2016.

Most featured:
9 x Collingwood
6 x Essendon, Richmond
4 x Hawthorn
3 x Carlton, Geelong, Melbourne
2 x St Kilda
1 x Adelaide, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, West Coast

If i have time or something I might later work out the breakdown for each venue as well as make comparisons to the crowds of the 2000s.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Thought I'd add some more crowd statistics just for something to do and to add onto the great work from manicmagpie

Here's the Top 20 Matchups based on average home and away crowd for the decade (2010-2019).

View attachment 800723

No surprises really from the top with Collingwood being the most heavily featured accounting for just under half of the matchups (9 outta 20). Obviously the MCG heavily skews the top end with all of the top 12 matchups being played exclusively at the MCG. Although the showdown does feature at 17 with Collingwood vs West Coast at 19 being the only interstate matchup to feature.

With the Essendon vs Hawthorn matchup being ranked 13th, it has the highest average for a matchup to include having games played at other venues with 5 x Docklands (Ave 42,196) and 8 x MCG (Ave 62,778).

The one that probably surprised me the most was Collingwood vs St Kilda at 14th (Ave 50,066). Aware that Saints were running hot at the start of the decade with crowds of 80k + and 60k+ against Collingwood in 2010 and 2011, their drop in form for the rest of decade may have pulled that average down but the matchup still drew some solid crowds at the MCG all things considered including 60k in 2019 and 51k in 2016.

Most featured:
9 x Collingwood
6 x Essendon, Richmond
4 x Hawthorn
3 x Carlton, Geelong, Melbourne
2 x St Kilda
1 x Adelaide, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, West Coast

If i have time or something I might later work out the breakdown for each venue as well as make comparisons to the crowds of the 2000s.
Great work! And possibly the other most disappointing match up being the mock buster that was this decade, Essendon v Carlton. This was a match up that rarely hit blockbuster status as both clubs had arguably their worst decades in their respective club histories.. It still average almost 60,000 which bodes well for better days ahead.

From an Essendon perspective, the Essendon / Geelong and the Essendon / Hawthorn fixtures would’ve ranked much higher had several big blockbusters during the decade been fixtured at the MCG.

Good riddance to that decade!!!!

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Top individual H & A crowds of the decade:

View attachment 795837

I don't think that being a marquee event invalidates the achievement of getting a big crowd, but it certainly helps. Hence I've included those games but put notes next to them.
My guess is the Collingwood/Essendon match up would still be on that list 7-8 times, just further down the list. Its definitely still the biggest match of the year.

My guess is the Collingwood/Essendon match up would still be on that list 7-8 times, just further down the list. Its definitely still the biggest match of the year.

Guessing is all we can do but I think you’re pretty much right about the list.

It’s worth noting the 5 games immediately prior to the first ANZAC clash got 76k, 77k, 87k, 87k & 88k. Before that the games were mostly played at Waverley.

When the two teams are going well AD only adds a few thousand but it does massively help when there are lean years.

I’ll still go in to bat for Collingwood v Carlton as the biggest matchup though. Don’t think there’s another combination in the league that can regularly expect to hit 60k even in the worst of circumstances.

This came up in another thread so I thought I'd pop it in here too.

Average crowds for the decade for every team v every other team. Not venue specific, so some numbers maybe not truly representative.

1579821449207.png

Back